DPS Meta Gem Change...Change it Back

100 Human Paladin
I am glad to read you are converting it back for DPS classes. The sooner the better.

I do have a question though since you may leave this type of requirement on other classes. I hope you were not requiring solid blue or solid red gems. In the case of needing more blue than red, what does a purple gem in a red socket count as? Is it red or blue?

This is something else we need a definitive answer to. I keep hearing people in-game say that they regemed and it still doesn't work.
85 Worgen Hunter
I am glad to read you are converting it back for DPS classes. The sooner the better.

I do have a question though since you may leave this type of requirement on other classes. I hope you were not requiring solid blue or solid red gems. In the case of needing more blue than red, what does a purple gem in a red socket count as? Is it red or blue?

This is something else we need a definitive answer to. I keep hearing people in-game say that they regemed and it still doesn't work.

A purple gem counts as both a red and blue gem -- as if you put in one red and one blue. If you gemmed all purple gems and then added one blue gem, the Meta should work. This is because it technically counts as you having 8 red gems and 9 blue gems if you have 8 purple gems and a blue gem socketed, for example.

What will NOT work: Having 4 red gems and 5 purple gems socketed. That is because for color count, you are actually having 9 red and 5 blue gems, thus not meeting the requirement.

Remember that on purple gems, it says on them "counts as both a red and blue gem", operative word being and, not or.
Edited by Medrith on 11/25/2010 7:44 AM PST
I have a suggestion regarding a replacement meta. A lot of people have Tuskarr's Vitality for a boots enchant. It has a minor run speed increase (non-stacking).

Find a new enchant for your boots that's dps orientated and use either the Tireless Skyflare or Swift Skyflare diamonds for the minor run speed increase. Then all you're really out is the 3% increased crit damage, but it's better than regemming everything to meet the requirement or doing nothing.

Basically what I did.
100 Human Paladin
Hit is generally more valuable than any other stat up until the cap, and it is a blue gem now. I'm sorry you actually have to think about gemming now. It must be very hard for you.

Even if you are COMPLETELY gemming for hit, there will be a time when you are hit capped, at which point you WILL want a RED gem instead of a BLUE, and that effectively will deactivate this Meta. Is that so hard to understand?

When you get hit capped, reforge away some hit, and keep the blue gem. Is that so hard to understand?

Ahh, but there's a problem with this strategy.

My red gems are strength gems. Strength provides me with the most DPS gain of all of the stats. If I gem for hit and reforge hit to something else (which is not on the gear... which means probably haste... which I can then switch to crit on other gear to balance things out... maybe) I'm still losing my highest DPS-generating stat and replacing it with a stat that generates less DPS.

So while this isn't the wrong strategy, it is expensive, cuts your DPS anyway, and will ultimately be reverted so undoing it will be expensive.

85 Worgen Death Knight
Hit is generally more valuable than any other stat up until the cap, and it is a blue gem now. I'm sorry you actually have to think about gemming now. It must be very hard for you.

Even if you are COMPLETELY gemming for hit, there will be a time when you are hit capped, at which point you WILL want a RED gem instead of a BLUE, and that effectively will deactivate this Meta. Is that so hard to understand?

When you get hit capped, reforge away some hit, and keep the blue gem. Is that so hard to understand?

You can only reforge to secondary stats, however you can gem for primary stats.
Is that so hard to understand?
85 Goblin Shaman
Pie
So much qq here. Oh noes they changed the color of some of your gems. Slap a nightmare tear and an enchanted tear in there plus one of the "bad" gems in there and boom meta is on. Same stats different color. 20 spirit from a blue gem is no different than 20 spirit from a red gem or anything of that nature. 99% of the time the socket bonus isn't even worth it. Do some research on your class. Them changing the color of certain gems isn't game breaking nor does it come anywhere close. You forget that nightmare tears and enchanted tears count as ANY color gem I hope. As for gemming for hit and stuff like that you shouldn't need to gem for hit in the first place. Our lvl 85 gear will have the stats we need. Let hit and everything else come from your gear like it always has. As for dps increasing stats, stack them and enchant them. It's not going to kill you to have to use a nightmare tear, enchanted tear and one "bad" gem to get your meta turned on. I would love to see more variety of meta gems but what we have now isn't going to kill anyone. Also if you have to regem your entire gear set to get your meta online which only requires 3 gems then you obviously screwed up. The color of the gem makes no difference as long as it gives you stats. 20 haste is 20 haste no matter the color.

Have you read any of this post at all?
85 Undead Warlock
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements.

what logic could there possibly have been behind such an arbitrary change, anyway?
More blue gems than red gems? Ya...no. Change it back.

The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

Ok, so hopefully we need a minor patch to fix something tomorrow and you guys can throw this fix in.

You don't understand how software development works, do you?

such an idiotic update shouldn't have been made in the first place just sayin'

Seriously. Nothing about this change even looks good on paper. Dumb idea after dumb idea compounded by "more blue gems than blue gems" which shouldn't have made it out of QA. That's a lot of people asleep at the wheel there.
85 Gnome Death Knight
I hope this isn't reverted all the way to the rather bland requirements (or not continuing with the bland requirements on level 85 gems), but something a little more interesting (though not as painful as on live currently). You can get people to gem in more interesting ways, without making it a total pain, with requirements like "requires two yellow gems, and one blue gem". "More x than y" requirements are the problem (because either they're either a massive gemming hit -- like more blue than red on DPS metas -- or are entirely inconsequential -- like, say, more red than blue on DPS metas), not 'harder' to fulfil requirements in general.

Why, specifically, do I see "more x than y" as the problem? Because of the number of gems you need to play with. When dealing with the most common other requirements, you're dealing with only about three or four gems (which, if careful, you can cut down to two or three with hybrid colours) -- with "more x than y", you're having to balance the entire set of 10+ gems on some gear sets, instead of just dealing with 3-ish gem requirements on average. Having to juggle 4 gems or so (when counting hybrid colours, even) isn't too bad, and can probably be done with socket bonuses that are awesome -- juggling 10-ish gems, however, is just silly.
80 Gnome Warrior
Why not just make it
Requires 2 Blue Gems
Requires 2 Yellow Gems
Requires 2 Red Gems
Just use a piece of garbage Skyflare Diamond until they decide to get their heads out of their rears and fix their mess ups.
70 Tauren Hunter

It's always the damn warlocks...
85 Night Elf Hunter
I agree. It makes NO sense to require more blue gems than red on a dps class. The main gem color for melee and spellcasters is red. Why would you want us to waste gems getting spirit or some other useless stat when red is the most valuable?

Could be the most ignorant post of the year. definately one of the top 5
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]