Couple of 4.0.3a interesting stuff.

85 Night Elf Rogue
First, I love how everything looks now. Second, I've noticed that I am doing more DPS now. And after reading the patch notes I tested out combat and saw a very nice gain in DPS, don't know if on par with assassination, but I'm liking the changes. Hope that my observations are true.

I also saw that rupture, with the rupture glyph, wouldn't stay for 24 seconds, but for 20 seconds max. Anyone with the same problem?
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Rogue
Hmmm I'm very interested in how well combat does vs assassination. Anyone out there willing to test them both out?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I'm sure EJ will have solid numbers, but I did a little testing (dummies, normal mobs and a couple of heroics) and Assassination is still hitting much harder than Combat, by anywhere between 30% and 60%. This is just for me, with not the best gear, but I can only assume that the effect of the buffs to poison damage would only be amplified by someone with better gear (I'm spell hit-capped, but if you had more Mastery, you'd be hitting like a dump truck backing over someone's head.)

For some reason, the armory isn't showing my reforging, but I did it, and think I should re-do it to boost mastery now. The 3.5% per point is pretty sweet.

Long story less long: It seems as though Assassination is looking great for PvE, while Combat is best shelved until some very dramatic changes are made.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Assassination tonight in ICC was very competitive.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
Anecdotal testing of assassination and combat with everything reforged to mastery gave me the following results on level 80 target dummies (the heroic dummy is now level 85 I believe so not viable for testing):

Assassination: 10.5k sustained single target damage (peaking around 12k during Vendetta but settling back to 10.5 over time). 1.8/1.4 with IP/DP. This is about 1k ahead of where I was prior to the most recent patch so a decent uplift but not earth shatteringly good.

Combat: 9.5k sustained single target damage raising to 12.5k (sustained) if you have multiple targets to blade flurry on CD. This is way up on what could be achieved before this patch. More testing needed but I was seeing good results as combat using 2.6/2.6 WP/WP i.e. as good or better than WP/DP with 2/6/1.5 which is odd given the increase in DP damage and the fact that MG is normalised - though explicable because slow weps like these give WP just over a 92% proc chance which is sexy. Glyphed SS, KS, SnD (now adds 6s to SnD which makes a talented/glyphed 1 CP SnD last 20s!). Despite thinking Rupture would be optimal Rupture just seems to produce miserable damage so I had best results with an Evis only (after Revealing Strike) rotation.

I have to admit to finding Assassination a bit dull - it is the missionary position spec for rogues whereas Combat seemed pretty interesting in terms of timing CDs to line up with Bandit's Guile etc (glyphed Killing Spree during Deep Insight with BF and several targets in range gives me the kind of numbers I like to see).

In short I think assassination is a reasonable margin ahead on single target fights but combat isn't far behind and has the potential to pull well ahead on multi-target fights. This is probably about how it should be. What I am not sure of is the new values for mastery as Combat - keeping in mind I tested using full mastery reforging if it turns out to be the case that haste/hit/crit are better for Combat then Combat might be even more competitive than my anecdotal testing suggests. Thing is as pure mastery reforge you can at least then switch specs to suit fights.

One that that occurs to me in relation to combat is that the energy regen is so insanely high that the benefits of stacking haste may diminish simply because there comes a point where you really struggle to burn the energy coming in so having too much haste could result in capping. At least that is how it feels.

Edited by Drúss on 11/24/2010 2:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
I agree, the Assassination buffs were really noticable. And I'm not for certain if the Envenom was being effected by Mastery, as it says in the list of Hotfixes. No complaints here.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Before the patch a 5pt rupture for me was over 16 sec, 20 glyphed. Did something change?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
In short I think assassination is a reasonable margin ahead on single target fights but combat isn't far behind and has the potential to pull well ahead on multi-target fights. This is probably about how it should be.

I think this is where we're headed with Combat. During Heroic Halls of Stone, Combat was at the top of damage and DPS during Tribunal of Ages, but dropped to 3rd above the Hunter (below the Pally tank and a DK) for the three single bosses. Could also be the rotation, too--I doubt I was optimized, having gotten used to Assassination over the last couple of weeks. At any rate, I'd be happy if this were ultimately the case. You could kind of see running instances as Combat for clearing trash and then just pausing before boss fights to switch specs and hotkey a new weapon set. I don't think we're quite there yet with optimizing the spec but it's an improvement.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
In short I think assassination is a reasonable margin ahead on single target fights but combat isn't far behind and has the potential to pull well ahead on multi-target fights. This is probably about how it should be.

I think this is where we're headed with Combat. During Heroic Halls of Stone, Combat was at the top of damage and DPS during Tribunal of Ages, but dropped to 3rd above the Hunter (below the Pally tank and a DK) for the three single bosses. Could also be the rotation, too--I doubt I was optimized, having gotten used to Assassination over the last couple of weeks. At any rate, I'd be happy if this were ultimately the case. You could kind of see running instances as Combat for clearing trash and then just pausing before boss fights to switch specs and hotkey a new weapon set. I don't think we're quite there yet with optimizing the spec but it's an improvement.

This is unacceptable with Blizzard's current design philosophy.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
I very much like the feel of Assassination and I would not enjoy having to spec combat just because the fight/trash is multi-target.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Honestly think it's too early to tell since we supposedly won't be balanced until 85. Testing on dummies and heroics - I don't know if this gives an accurate reading but I suppose it does help to see a difference. I tried combat last night and it was horrible but I'm sure I probably wasn't glyphed right and to be honest I'm not sure what combat should be using for poisons now. I was too tired and fed up to care - I miss combat a lot. Assassination is decent dps but not as much fun.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Envenom is now being correctly affected by Mut's Mastery.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2089-Patch-4.0.3a-Hotfixes-Portals-Removal-Blue-Posts
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]