Concerns for the Wild Growth spell in healing

90 Tauren Druid
Pretty new to posting in the forums but browse it all the time.

I have been noticing some weird characteristics when using the Wild Growth spell on my resto druid while healing in raids, 10 man raids specifically. I use it with the glyph of wild growth as well as lining up the spell with the Soul of the Forest talent (im sure you all do as well, haha):

rejuvenation, swift mend then wild growth.

The issue I have noticed is that when I line up the combo while multiple players need healing, wild growth will do 2 of the problems I am having. It ONLY occurs when I line up the combo mentioned above.

Problem #1 - Wild growth will only affect 1-3 players even if more than 7 players are below 80% health. Now I know the spell says "up to" 5 players (6 with glyph) but WG only affecting a low number of players when a high number of them need healing doesn't sound right. Maybe I'm missing something or it is a known issue the devs know already.

Problem #2 - While using the combo, WG will only affect full health players and will not touch players that need healing.

A bigger problem that I've experienced is when both the problems happen at the same time. WG only affecting 2 full health players when the other 8 players need healing. Now I've ruled out some things that could affect this like being within range of those in need of healing. Tested it while fighting Nazgrim which is a medium size area but rarely outside of the 40 yard range of WG, and I was experiencing the issues mentioned above. I also do not use any healing/ UI add-ons.
I just wanted to see if I was the only player experiencing this or if this a known issue or if I'm doing something wrong so I can fix it.

Thanks.

TL;DR - Wild Growth only affects either 1-3 players when more players need healing and only affecting full health players over lower health players. Only occurs while using the soul of the forest combo (within range of players).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
you dont always need SofT with Wild Growth best way to say this by orange

01/10/2014 10:43 PMPosted by Frozenorange
I can achieve 80%-90% uptime on Wild Growth - given the proper fights and it's required. You cannot do that Glyphed.

My stance is that in almost all cases it is better to use WG reactively than to try to achieve high 'uptime' on it because it is (1) a smart heal and (2) front-loaded. When used reactively, glyphed WG is superior if you have more than 6 targets more often than there is a second burst aoe damage to heal between 8s and 10s from when you casted WG the first time. In a 25m setting, I find 6+ damaged targets with great frequency, and aoe damage with such a specific timing less frequent.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/16/2014 02:28 AMPosted by Lazav
A bigger problem that I've experienced is when both the problems happen at the same time. WG only affecting 2 full health players when the other 8 players need healing. Now I've ruled out some things that could affect this like being within range of those in need of healing.

I was gonna say "check your range" at first, but looks like that's not the case...

Do you happen to have any pet classes in your raid, such as hunters, DKs, Locks and Mages? WG will target pets as well as raid members.

Other than the pet issue I mentioned above, I have not experienced your issue.
Edited by Sherbear on 1/16/2014 3:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Be sure you're casting WG at a specific target (someone with a bunch of other players nearby). If you have noone targeted you'll cast on yourself and only hit people w/in 30 yards, or if you're casting at a tank that's split off from the group only people w/in 30 yards of that player will get it. Just recently started playing with the Cluster Finder in Vuhdo, it's pretty damned handy for seeing which players have 6 others in range for WG.
Reply Quote
I only have that happen if there is a range issue. Like someone else said, vuhdo is helpful on picking best target.

With that said, it can also heal pets, pets can include dk worms, lock ports and void tendrils. :P
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
01/16/2014 02:28 AMPosted by Lazav
A bigger problem that I've experienced is when both the problems happen at the same time. WG only affecting 2 full health players when the other 8 players need healing. Now I've ruled out some things that could affect this like being within range of those in need of healing. Tested it while fighting Nazgrim which is a medium size area but rarely outside of the 40 yard range of WG, and I was experiencing the issues mentioned above. I also do not use any healing/ UI add-ons.

First off, Wild Growth has a 30 yard range, not 40, so that could be a small part of your issue. Also, are you changing targets between when you use Rejuve/Swiftmend and Wild Growth? My suspicion is that you are using Rejuve/Swiftmend on a tank, and not changing targets (or using mouseovers) before casting Wild Growth.

I do not know how your raid team does Nazgrim, but we usually park the tanks and Nazgrim way off in a corner by the door where the elevator spawns after the fight, park the ranged and healers roughly in the middle of the room, then for the vast majority of the fight, the melee are off harassing the warshaman on the side of the room opposite the tanks. We do this to reduce the chance that nasties such as Healing Tide Totem, Magicstrike, and those melee whirlwinds affect the boss/tanks. Although our ranged and healers are supposed to stay roughly in the middle of the room, mostly so the healers are in range of everyone, we do get out of position fairly regularly, what with heroic leaps, assassins, and what have you.

If you are 35 yards away from the tanks, and most of your raid is even further, and you are using Wild Growth on a tank who has just been Swiftmended, it won't do much good. Next time you have this problem, check and see who you had targeted when it was cast, and where they are relative to your raid. You may simply need to change targets before casting Wild Growth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]