What is the most relaxed healing class?

1 Tauren Druid
So I was curious as to what the easiest to learn/pickup and most relaxed healing class was. I would really like to give healing a good try but I am not looking to play a super intense, stressful, healing class. My biggest fear is having an "Oh god, oh god, spam the heal button" moment. I want something a little more relaxed, easy to pick up and learn, type of class for maybe some casual raiding and pvping.

Honestly, I am just curious to see what those of you out there think as well as some of your opinions.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
well you're gonna have to choose the least offensive...I mean the most offensive when you don't feel like spamming an 'oh !@#$' button.

Holy Pally has some stuns. (Lay on Hands is a good 'oh %^-*' heal. The best imo.)

Shaman has totems. (And they can Hex someone into a frog.)

Resto Druid has Cyclone to put someone in a mini-tornado. (Good time to run.)

Holy & Disc priests have psychic scream. (Bubble or use the new offensive spell Holy has. 'Chastise'. I heard it's really good.)

If you are afraid of performing a life-saving rotation of spells...the Holy Paladin's 'Lay on Hands' might work for you.

Even though I didn't know if you were asking which character could offer the least amount of choices for a relaxed healing experience, it occurred to me you might be asking a question you didn't ask.

Which spec has the very best 'Oh !@#$' button? Holy Paladin is the answer.
Edited by Breathes on 1/15/2014 1:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
Shaman imo not sure how they are in pvp but in pve it's pretty relax to play even during the oh crap moments.
Reply Quote
93 Night Elf Druid
There are no "oh !@#$" moments with druids... ;-)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
You shoudl'nt play a healer imo (I'm not trolling).
Specially in PvP, Healer is the most stresfull job (but the most rewarding)

If you trully want to play a non-stresfull char, you should go with a ranged DPS like Hunter or Mage
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Paladin: Selfless healer. You can literally make a 1 button macro and do decent healing.
Druid: Throw down mushroom so efflorescence is healing for 5 minutes as an aoe constantly, then just hit swiftmend+ wild growth (with SotF) to do massive healing. Otherwise just keep LB on tank which is easy and throw a rejuv on people sometimes.
Druid with DoC: Spam wrath and watch it heal people. There's a 1 button macro around for "Atonement druids" that handles the other spells as well but it needs an addon to allow larger macros. Spam that one key and watch a movie.
Shaman: healing rain, healing totem, chain heal.
Disc: Atonement spam and watch non-absorb clases CRY while doing very nice dps.
Don't know jack about holy.

Edit: Hunters frequently get put on mechanics so not ideal if you want zero stress. No one likes the guy who messes up on belts.
Edited by Greatdeku on 1/15/2014 7:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I think I can help you out on this question.

My first healer to reach 90 is my Holy/Disc Priest. I absolutely love it.

My next in line is my level 88 Resto Druid. If you want gravy this is the way to go. However there is a catch....

All the way from level 15 on the Druid up until Cata 85 I felt like healing was the laziest most simplest thing to do in the game when playing a Resto Druid. Literally all I did was cast Rejuvenation on the tank and stand there and watch. When I got the green circle of healing it only made it even more ridiculous. HoT (Heals over Time) allows you to just click and let the effect heal for you. A complete moron could heal doing this as long as you keep your durations refreshed (Lifebloom, Rejuv etc).

HOWEVER

The Druid may not be that simple once you reach Pandaria and actually have to start dispelling. This is where I considerably favor the Holy Priest because you get the beauty of Mass Dispel which is an Area of Effect cast and is great during a chaotic raid when you can't keep track of everything going on. At higher levels the druid has to be constantly alert of HoT uptimes and can only perform single dispel with an annoying refresh time.

If you want simplicity you'll find it on the Holy Priest because you get a lot of AoE heals and can hit many targets easily. Prayer of Mending jumps from target to target. You get instant use of Circle of Healing, you get a cast of Prayer of Healing, etc.

The best part is the use of the 3 Chakras which are 3 different healing stances. This allows you to choose your own style. You can select single target healing, area of effect healing or select red to get a significant increase in dps if you need to fight.

Disc Priest is cool too, but honestly it's harder to play and I couldn't get the hang of it until I completely learned Holy. You have to keep track of absorb procs and a lot of passives to make it effective. With Holy it's straightforward because heal the group when they need it. You also get Power Word Shield which is obvious and simple to cast on people. While the druid was easy early on, it does not have the ability to shield more than one target.

Holy is great because anytime you freak out you can save your shield and cast it on yourself and one other person (tank). Then spam AoE heals to keep the group from going down. Other than that you get basic single cast heals too, but if you keep up with AoE, Prayer of Mending and Power Shield you'll find yourself hardly ever needing to use them.

What sucks as a new healer is becoming aware of your environment. Knowing when to dispel and having to cycle between player icons to keep tons of absorbs up like on Disc can be difficult, or having to dispel one by one with the druid.

So anyway if you want boring and gravy go with druid, but if you want something you can spam cast like crazy with try Holy Priest.. You even get Divine Hymn which is like a get out of jail free card every 6 mins you just channel it and it saves the raid =) Same goes for Hymn of Hope which is for mana.

The Chakra styles will give you an option for the playing style you're comfortable with and you will find it's simple to play if you can remember three things:

1) Keep Prayer of Mending on the tank at all times
2) Use Power Shield when someone's health decreases fast
3) Cast Dispel on group if everyone's health is sinking fast

After those 3 things are in check then it's simple: Spam AOE Heals!!!

I reserve these abilities while doing dungeons/raids.

Prayer of Mending: Tank
Power Shield: You and Tank
AOE Heals: Cast on Tank (AOE goes to group)

This simplifies keeping your focus on yourself and the tank. Once you get the hang of you'll find yourself gradually learning to keep track of everyone around then you can get more creative in your playing style when you get comfortable.

Aside from Druid and Priest, I haven't liked the other healing specs other than Shaman, but I'm only a level 58 so I got a ways to go. I've tried all the healers and many times I'm out healed by Shamans and Druids, but I find myself always going back to my Holy Priest because it's straightforward to play yet offers versatility in your healing style which comes in handy once you learn the basics of healing so you'll have options later on when you're going through the rotations like everyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Paladin: Selfless healer. You can literally make a 1 button macro and do decent healing.
Druid: Throw down mushroom so efflorescence is healing for 5 minutes as an aoe constantly, then just hit swiftmend+ wild growth (with SotF) to do massive healing. Otherwise just keep LB on tank which is easy and throw a rejuv on people sometimes.
Druid with DoC: Spam wrath and watch it heal people. There's a 1 button macro around for "Atonement druids" that handles the other spells as well but it needs an addon to allow larger macros. Spam that one key and watch a movie.
Shaman: healing rain, healing totem, chain heal.
Disc: Atonement spam and watch non-absorb clases CRY while doing very nice dps.
Don't know jack about holy.

Edit: Hunters frequently get put on mechanics so not ideal if you want zero stress. No one likes the guy who messes up on belts.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=81209
Chastise Chakra

Holy can easily out dps Disc while using this. My friend and I did 2s with both Holy Priests and it was quite an effective combo with our Prayer of Mending bounding back and force and casting shields on each other. If you combine this Chakra with the Smith/Holy Fire glyph you get a huge DPS bonus. I always outheal the Disc priest but if you use recount and add up the absorbs with the heals then quite often I out dps Holy with Disc. Disc has better defenses than Holy no doubt but if you're not the primary healer and focus on DPS and healing when needed, Holy definitely does more damage. But this depends on which PVP sets your using too. If you get the set which reduces the 30 sec Chakra CD to 6 seconds it's gameover. I know DISC has one that reduces Penance to 3sec CD. I would love to try that =)

I play DISC and HOLY about equally tho. Honestly I love them both.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Resto shaman is the droid you're looking for. But honestly, healing in content that's gear appropriate is as stressful as being a main tank.

You should check out some of the nuker ranged dps classes (see any mage spec, destro lock, survival hunter, moonkin, or ele sham).
Reply Quote
83 Draenei Shaman
When I healed back in Cataclysm, Shaman was certainly a very chill class. As someone else said, even in the most intense, panicky moments, you simply let Earth Shield do its work, and the automated smart functionality of Chain Heal prioritize for you.

There's more of course. Don't get the impression that Shaman is a noob class. Interrupting with Wind Shear, blocking spells with Grounding Totem, using Earth Elemental at the right moments, helping a tank kite adds with Frost Shock, plus all the advantageous micro management that exists in the Shaman's healing rotation... there's a lot you can master, if you choose to.

But it's nice that even in the worst of situations, Earth Shield + Chain Heal can buy you time while you take a deep breath, reanalyze the scenario, and come up with a plan.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Druid
Wow, thanks for all the information guys. I honestly have a lot to consider now. I use to be a Druid healer back in wrath but have not really healed since. I hear a lot of people saying healing is really stressful, and maybe it has changed since wrath, but I have always felt it was a lot more relaxing than playing as a DPS and FAR more relaxing than a tank... poor tanks... But since I have not healed in such a long time I asked this question to see what was currently a really chill healing class.

Thanks for the discussion and information guys, its given me a lot to think about and I would still love to see some more opinions on the matter while I consider. Thanks again :D
Reply Quote
75 Night Elf Hunter
Leveling:
Disc Priest and Resto Druid

End game:
Resto Druid, Holy Paladin, and Disc Priest

Reason being: druid is one of the easier classes to manage dot wise and are very straight forward. Any class with absorbs allows for preparation and I find less stressful as you can avoid headaches compared to reactive healers. Holy paladin doesn't get absorbs until later hence why I don't put the while leveling.

Out of all the healers I find mist weaver monk to be the most engaging (although that's not what you asked). It requires massive management in raids so you never fall asleep (compared with other healers).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]