healers with offspecs

90 Human Priest
Fellow healers this is my issue and I hope you all can offer some sound advice.

Our raid team runs with a disc priest (me), holy pally, and resto shaman.

Me and the holy pally swap to our offspecs to accommodate situations where 3 healers are not needed (to clear faster) or when we require more ranged or melee on a given fight like garrosh or malkrok.

The one issue is that our resto shaman refuses to utilize their offspec and try dpsing so me and the other holy pally have to be shadow or ret, which is no issue BUT our 10-man raid team has more than 10 raiders so now instead of being there for our primarily roles were benched more often whereas the resto shaman isn't considered.

benching is okay it happens I get it but a shaman always healing?

My question is this, when I tried to voice this opinion out I look like a bad guy which is not my intention but to point out to keep it equal/fair. I know you can have a kumbaya, everyone hug it out kind of raid team but I wanted to know i'm not crazy thinking it's beneficial to be flexible.

I was told resto is so OP that raid teams are dumb if they make a shaman go ele over a priest or paladin healer with a viable offspec.

My final point is that IF one spec is greater than another it's usually only temporary. When WoD pops out and a specific class spec is less beneficial it would be wise to be a jack of all trades now before your faced with, "I can only do X and not Z."

Thoughts? Am I a moron thinking it's resto shaman or the highway?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I keep an Elemental Off Spec geared and ready to go at all times. If everyone else is expected to have an off spec, there is no reason I shouldn't keep one myself. I've only used it two or three times but when I needed it, it was ready to go with the gear in my bag.

Besides, Druids and Disc Piests are just as OP as Resto Shamans right now, and Pallies have the hardest time keeping an off spec...

The way I see it, if you require one healer to have a DPS OS, require all of them to do so, UNLESS one of them was recruited with the sole purpose of being a swing healer or one is a Disc/Holy Priest. I would require everyone to have an off spec of some sort that they can play at the drop of a hat.
Even pure DPS classes should be able to utilize an off spec depending on the fight.
Edited by Chrysippus on 1/13/2014 6:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thank you for confirming i'm not crazy. I just hope I can discuss it over mumble as well as you typed it out.
Edited by Usha on 1/13/2014 6:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Point them to my post. :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm thinking to copy and paste it in a chat to hopefully get the dialogue started.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
I was told resto is so OP that raid teams are dumb if they make a shaman go ele over a priest or paladin healer with a viable offspec.

The person who said that is either trying to manipulate a situation or an idiot.

The one issue is that our resto shaman refuses to utilize their offspec and try dpsing so me and the other holy pally have to be shadow or ret, which is no issue BUT our 10-man raid team has more than 10 raiders so now instead of being there for our primarily roles were benched more often whereas the resto shaman isn't considered.

benching is okay it happens I get it but a shaman always healing?

Then they deserve to be sat over others, you two are utilizing your classes to a much higher potential so your team has the option while the shaman is being stubborn. If anything you two deserve to be brought into the content you're doing for the shear reason of the effort you're willing to put in compared to the shaman. To keep multiple specs geared and optimized, and willing to leave a role you two enjoy while the shaman sits there all willy nilly.

------------

How this sounds from what was said and without detailed knowledge of the skill between players, is the resto shaman is either in a position of power and is being a tool about it, or they're really close friends/dating with someone in power and that person in power can't be unbiased.
Edited by Sensations on 1/13/2014 7:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
^ That's my thinking too.

I'd build an off spec on my priest if my off spec wasn't holy :p And I'd drop holy for shadow if my guild required it of me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
[quote] How this sounds from what was said and without detailed knowledge of the skill between players, is the resto shaman is either in a position of power and is being a tool about it, or they're really close friends/dating with someone in power and that person in power can't be unbiased.

the raid leader ...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
01/13/2014 07:13 PMPosted by Usha
[quote] How this sounds from what was said and without detailed knowledge of the skill between players, is the resto shaman is either in a position of power and is being a tool about it, or they're really close friends/dating with someone in power and that person in power can't be unbiased.

the raid leader ...

Ouch. I know for Spoils especially, an Ele Shaman is a better DPS than a Spriest or Ret Pally. In fact, I think this is true for all fights. I know it's true for all fights with lots of adds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Your raid leader sounds like they don't know what they are talking about then :P
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC

the raid leader ...

Figured something like that, he's just being stubborn and giving stupid reasons sadly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks guys all of you had some valid points now i''ll see if I can convey it just as well.

The thing that's always so iffy with 10-mans is that there's not a guarantee of one of each class or type so balance is definitely something that needs to be taken into account with specs.

I'm going to reengage the conversation probably even linking the posts here because it was very solid reasoning.
Edited by Usha on 1/13/2014 7:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I wish you the very best of luck in your efforts to convince them.
Edited by Chrysippus on 1/13/2014 7:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks guys all of you had some valid points now i''ll see if I can convey it just as well.

The thing that's always so iffy with 10-mans is that there's not a guarantee of one of each class or type so balance is definitely something that needs to be taken into account with specs.

I'm going to reengage the conversation probably even linking the posts here because it was very solid reasoning.

Good luck :D!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Shamans are a good healer this tier. But I have a hard time understanding how it'll EVER be better to have a Ret over an Ele shaman.

And there are plenty fights where a resto shaman isn't as good as a Disc or pally (Malkorok?? Surprised the Shaman isn't begging to go Ele, our's does every time we get up to malk).

Your raid leader should be switching you guys out depending on needs of the RAID not needs of the resto shaman. And if he's too biased to see that, then it's no surprise that your raid group isn't progressing :/. A raid is only as good as the leader.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret is my offspec (in fact, looking at what I am wearing, I think I logged out in it). I try to keep a ret set gemmed and ready in case it's needed but, honestly, this tier no-one has asked me to switch. The other healers available to my raid are druid, priest and shaman and usually it's the priest and the shammy who switch because, frankly, no-one wants an extra melee when they could have a good ranged instead.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
As much as I love healing and dislike DPSing, I have always kept one of my DPS specs up to date. Any hybrid that doesn't keep a well geared OS and is willing to swap around is only a drawback for his/her raid.

Resto is very good this tier, but there is no reason why he should stay Resto full time instead of swapping with the other two healers when needed. I for sure would prefer to have an Ele over a Spriest on fights with several adds, a Spriest over others for a Council type fight, and a Ret over... well, whenever a Ret happens to be good.

Given that the shaman is the RL, he's only being stubborn and harming the group out of his selfishness.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I completely agree that having alternative spec's makes you more valuable in a raid team. If you consider that you and the paladin are both using and trying to gear your alt specs and get sat more than the shaman who uses only resto? That doesn't help you gear them (just a little irk of mine)

I raid on two toons. My druid and monk. On both I run alternative specs and have become useful because of it. For example on my druid I've so far tanked/dps'd and healer heroic garrosh prog. In former team I used all 4 spec's. (my bags are ridiculously full) and my monk? Is bm/mw. I've tanked and healed on prog. It's just common sense to be able to have that versatility. So good on you and the paladin! Shame on the shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If the shaman doesn't use his offspec, he should be in the sit rotation. He should be in the sit rotation even if he DOES use his offspec. lol.

I don't DPS in raids, ever. I'm frigging BAD at it. Now I am trying a tank OS so even less viable.

I sit out, a lot. But, so do the other healers. We have 4... FOUR... main spec healers in our roster right now and we rotate in and out as needed.

I totally get not wanting to play DPS. I grok where he's coming from. But, he should spend just as much time riding the bench as anyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

the raid leader ...

oh. well. >.>

still he needs to be willing to ride the bench unless you guys cannot do stuff without him (which i somehow doubt).. maybe he is bad at leading while DPSing. i dunno.

something's gotta give. >.<
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]