Timeout Issues Affecting all Battle.net Sites

100 Tauren Death Knight
And again.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
first time this has come up in a while.

does the armory API have a 420 flag for rate limiting and those database is busy /down for maintenance modes ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

or when the auction DB it pulls the data from, is unavailable / timed out ... or is prepared to push older data instead, etc.

i'd attempt to guess that the auction data requires an overhaul to enable caching of data and a way to redirect hourly 'cached data' vs polled data if there's a rate limiting premium on the full dumping of auction data, to stop it choking and erroring out when it's requested.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Timeouts happening for me
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Reporting my time out as requested.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
TSM user confirmed time out issue.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
TSM User confirming timeouts - Jan 30 2014. Icecrown US. Hope it gets resolved Soon.
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
TSM user
Realms trying to update: Black Dragonflight, Skullcrusher, Gul'Dan. Haven't figured out which one yet.
ISP: Eastlink
I am in an apartment building, if that helps any.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
TSM user (new today)

Trying to update: Darkspear Alliance
ISP: Orcon
City: Christchurch
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
TSM App user here... Getting this error since the r209 TSM app patch...

Couldn't do even one check on US-Azralon... not by refresh, not by forced updates...

I'm from Petrópolis, Rio de Janeiro, ISP: Oi Velox...

Since now, thank you.
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
I've downloaded this app and get the same timeouts that you guys do despite being able to hit the auction api urls's directly with no issues. My server team can't find any evidence that requests are being blocked at a level above us (our ISPs) but at the same time our logs are showing nothing about timeouts or errors.

When auction data is down or delayed we often get a huge amount of emails from other sites (Undermine journal, etc) and I haven't received any emails from any of them. I'm working with the TSM authors to try and figure this out... but please be aware we do care about this issue, but are no having no luck duplicating any api timeouts except via this app.
Edited by Peratryn on 1/31/2014 9:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
TSM is looking into this from their end now since they also do not see any timeouts from their servers (They did during the DDOSing events two weeks ago but haven't seen anything since). It looks like they will be able to solve this with an app update. He'll let me know if they see any more issues from the API.
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
I just noticed actual timeouts while querying the AH API for the first time starting less than an hour ago (I got a succesfull download 45 minutes ago still). Did something change in the past hour?

Edit: some more info: My last succesful download was at 17:46 UTC for Stormrage(EU). A download started at 17:57 UTC for Arathor(EU) failed because the data downloaded was malformed, another try for the same 10 minutes later hit a timeout (after 11 minutes). Note that the download for the initial key file for the AH data works, it is the big download with actual AH data that times out.
Edited by Yocoliah on 1/31/2014 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
01/31/2014 10:33 AMPosted by Yocoliah
I just noticed actual timeouts while querying the AH API for the first time starting less than an hour ago (I got a succesfull download 45 minutes ago still). Did something change in the past hour?

Edit: some more info: My last succesful download was at 17:46 UTC for Stormrage(EU). A download started at 17:57 UTC for Arathor(EU) failed because the data downloaded was malformed, another try for the same 10 minutes later hit a timeout (after 11 minutes). Note that the download for the initial key file for the AH data works, it is the big download with actual AH data that times out.

Was this within the TSM app or are you downloading it via curl/wget or something else?
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
This was with my own homebrew application (Written in C#, so using the .NET infrastructure for networking). I just checked my computer at the office (using a different network and ISP), and there the exact same application seems to be still running without any trouble.

What I just observed here at home is that a transfer did complete, but only delivered the first 700k of the file, then got interrupted. I'll see if a computer and router reboot helps
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
In case it is helpful, here is a traceroute from the home machine to your server:

>tracert eu.battle.net

Tracing route to eu.battle.net [80.239.186.40]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms telewell.gateway.TeleWell.gateway [192.168.0.254]
2 25 ms 13 ms 14 ms tamnal2.fi.elisa.net [88.115.192.1]
3 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 139.97.49.201
4 19 ms 21 ms 13 ms et5-0-0.helpa-p1.fi.elisa.net [139.97.6.253]
5 * 14 ms * ae2.helpa-gw1.fi.elisa.net [139.97.6.250]
6 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms ae1-10.bbr1.hel2.fi.eunetip.net [213.192.191.53]
7 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms ae1-0.bbr1.sto1.se.eunetip.net [213.192.184.45]
8 25 ms 20 ms 20 ms xe-10-2-2.bar1.Stockholm1.Level3.net [213.242.110.169]
9 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms s-b2-link.telia.net [213.248.99.133]
10 22 ms 21 ms 21 ms s-bb3-link.telia.net [213.155.136.54]
11 124 ms 49 ms 47 ms ffm-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.246.210]
12 62 ms 87 ms 61 ms prs-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.245.105]
13 * 63 ms 62 ms prs-b8-link.telia.net [213.155.131.3]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
01/31/2014 11:18 AMPosted by Yocoliah
This was with my own homebrew application (Written in C#, so using the .NET infrastructure for networking). I just checked my computer at the office (using a different network and ISP), and there the exact same application seems to be still running without any trouble.

What I just observed here at home is that a transfer did complete, but only delivered the first 700k of the file, then got interrupted. I'll see if a computer and router reboot helps

I have never used C# so excuse any obvious questions, but is there some sort of system level limit on downloads, or timeout settings that can be played with? Could it just have a problem downloading the ~5-10 meg file?
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
It might also be telling that when I google telia.net I immediate get links to wow and d3 posts from the past 2 years dealing with connection issues (to the games)... we might be hitting the same thing Yocoliah.
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
01/31/2014 11:26 AMPosted by Peratryn

I have never used C# so excuse any obvious questions, but is there some sort of system level limit on downloads, or timeout settings that can be played with? Could it just have a problem downloading the ~5-10 meg file?

Well, until two hours ago the same application worked fine, and has been working fine for many months (beyond the occasional problems that seemed to be server side, and were also observable as missing data in for instance The Undermine Journal, and complaints on the forums about the remote AH not working). The application has been downloading the big files from the 4 realms I follow fine (including Draenor-EU, whose AH data files are as large as the other realm's data files together).
The behaviour I observe right now is that some data arrives, but the download stops before it is complete. Earlier tonight I got situations were a timeout ocurred without downloading data at all, so I guess you could call this an improvement :)
Reply Quote
6 Troll Mage
01/31/2014 11:29 AMPosted by Peratryn
It might also be telling that when I google telia.net I immediate get links to wow and d3 posts from the past 2 years dealing with connection issues (to the games)... we might be hitting the same thing Yocoliah.

I have heard similar stories, though (knocking on wood) most of those problems were not noticable here. Telia is a huge network provider, and as far as I know is actually the ISP for Blizzard in europe - my impression was that any traffic to blizzard's eu servers goes via telia (and that traceroute actually is kindof normal - the "request timed out" lines are, I think, blizzard's servers, which do not themself respond to traceroute packets.)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Timeout - US-Frostmourne-Alliance
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]