Resto Druid vs Disc/Holy Priest

30 Worgen Druid
I would be leveling this character by myself through JUST PvE and questing, raids etc etc.

ZERO PvP and I will NEVER EVER do ANY form of PvP.

Which one is better in terms of ease of use and helpfulness of others?

Also keep in my I will be off-spec-ing as a DPS.

So please give me the ups and downs of their DPS counterparts if you can.

Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
Its harder for droods to transmorg into a pirate
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
disc and resto drood are relatively simple to play atm (you basically play them like old fashioned dps classes), you press your abilties with cooldowns (rapture bubble, swiftmend, wild growth, priest 90 talent, penance, holy fire, etc.) then fill with rejuv or smite

holy priest in 25s is prayer of healing 2- the spamfest-the reckoning-the return-the dawn of- coming to theaters near you soon

holy priest in 10s is more complicated, but basically your go to heal is renew and serenity chakra power word

shadow is in a pretty simple spot right now, not too complicated, but a lot of working to go with to make sure you get the most out of insanity, mindflay ticks, and mind blast to really maximize your damage

boomkin is significantly harder of a spec at lower gear levels than it is at high gear levels, and you'll have to make odd decisions on cancelling spells for starsurge procs (which can be harder at the edge of eclipses) as well as learn to make sure that you can get good NG uptime while moving or multidotting
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My main this tier is this druid while I mained a holy priest last tier and leveled up as disc. Overall, they're very different but good in their own ways.

For leveling: they're all easy. Disc was basically just shielding the tank all the way to level 85 while on the druid I would use a few more spells.

At end game, they have very different niches that they can fill. I cannot emphasize enough how mobile druid healers are with their instant cast spells. I can heal Thok on the run and Siegecrafter Blackfuse is no problem for me as I dodge the mechanics while tossing out HoTs everywhere. That being said, disc priests are in such a great spot this tier with their shielding and atonement healing (DPSing to do healing). Holy priests appear lackluster compared to disc, but they certainly can churn out the raid healing when needed. On high damage fights, my holy priest would leave all of the other healers in the dust. On low damage fights however, my output was mediocre (with other classes healing faster than I could). Priests give you the option to try two very different types of healing methods while druids only have one.

In terms of DPS, I managed to put together an agility off set and now have feral for my second spec. I enjoy feral more than balance because I found balance to be incredibly slow (in terms of casting speed, even). However, one of our raiders (a boomkin) was a pure beast in terms of damage and she could outperform almost anyone. For priests, shadow isn't bad. I'm not much of a DPSer myself so maybe someone else can give you more insight into the DPS off specs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I levelled balance and found it to be excrutiatingly slow, which I later confirmed when I levelled my rogue and warrior, where things died extremely fast comparatively. Perhaps I suck at boomkin - but it always felt like I was casting 8-10 times with boomkin, even while starting off in optimal conditions for a burst opening. With the other classes things would die in anywhere from 3-5 hits.
Edited by Arkista on 1/15/2014 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I love druids much more than priests in the current iteration of the game, but keep in mind that both classes are excellent and one being more fun than the other is purely subjective.

As a priest you have the option of ranged DPS, dps/absorb healer, throughput healer.
As a druid you have the option of ranged DPS, throughput healer, melee DPS, tank.

If you are looking to try your hand at everything group play has to offer, druids are a good class to do that with since we can fill any role.

I don't suggest leveling as balance. Do resto / feral or resto / guardian. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I love druids much more than priests in the current iteration of the game, but keep in mind that both classes are excellent and one being more fun than the other is purely subjective.

As a priest you have the option of ranged DPS, dps/absorb healer, throughput healer.
As a druid you have the option of ranged DPS, throughput healer, melee DPS, tank.

If you are looking to try your hand at everything group play has to offer, druids are a good class to do that with since we can fill any role.

I don't suggest leveling as balance. Do resto / feral or resto / guardian. :)

Leveling as balance is horrid! All of my druids were mainly leveled as feral with a resto spec for quick dungeon queues :) You can also use the resto gear as feral, since the int converts over to agility (won't be amazing, but enough to quest with while leveling).

Priest is a fun class to play especially since you have the option of 2 healing specs. If you choose disc, it's very easy to quest as disc and in low level dungeons you can mainly dps to heal (even in some of the higher ones!).

Both priest and druid are a lot of fun, you already have the druid at 30 so why not continue :D Unless a priest really intrigues you :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My gathering alt is a druid (go OP flight form herbing). The difference between low gear and high gear boomkin is night and day for getting stuff to die. I wouldn't recommend boomkin unless you have the haste and crit to support not sucking. I think I got 4 levels of 85 to 90 as pure gathering (for reference).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Balance has been tuned with being a badass SoO raider in mind. It's not the most fun thing before you're geared. Then again, Shadow is complete garbage to play and is weak in single target situations, which is pretty much your entire questing experience plus any actually relevant DPS checks in raiding.
Reply Quote
Healing wise both are fairly easy to pick up and not to difficult to do well with either.

DPS Wise, Shadow does well in niche fights but overall is not a strong dps spec atm.

Balance atrocious at poor gear levels, great at high gear levels.

Feral, hardest dps class in the game to master, the basics seem easy enough until you get into the advanced concepts.

Guardian, Easy tank overall, not the easiest (Paladin) but no where near the hardest (Monk)

Druids are always my first love due to the capability of doing what ever you want to do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]