PVP Rdruid help/info/suggestions

90 Tauren Druid
This is my first season playing a druid/feral, I geared 496 in a week shortly after season 14 started, I was playing around 1500 running with a desto lock occasionally. Basically he melted them while I cc'd and kited the dps around and then would pounce, blow cds and finish off his target. I have spent the last 2 months gearing up fresh 90 friends at 1000cr, that is a lot of fun 2vs1 most of the time. I am i515 and am approaching the 27k(26k) amount need to buy grievious with honor. I have 4k conq saved up and have a full 496 resto set. I want to roll resto next season and want to start learning now. I will be able to grind the grievious resto set, within the next 2 weeks.

I would greatly appreciate any tips on rotation or spells/hots I need active or just general things a rdruid should be should not be doing. thanks so much in advance
Edited by Huuggo on 1/14/2014 8:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'd suggest adding a pvp tag to your title, might help get the right people in
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
It's really hard to give you any help on rotation, because there really isn't any. Druids in general, resto druids specifically, are very comp dependent, so who you are partnered with and what you are facing will have a lot to do with which spells you use and when. But for a few general tips:

- Symbiosis is your best bestest friend. Always use it on your partner. It may not always give you or them something extremely useful, but the current PvP options for most classes are decent. My personal favorites are a DK for Icebound Fortitude (can't stun this!), a hunter for Deterrence (go ahead, cast that Chaos Bolt!), or a mage for Ice Block (debuffs, what debuffs?).

- Powershift like a pro. I have my mouse scroll-button bound such that when I scroll down, I shift into travel or cat form, and when I scroll up, I shift into caster form. This allows me to escape roots and snares and avoid polymorphs quickly and easily.

- Kiting, it's what druids do. Just like in feral, you will be spending a lot of time kiting stuff and pillar humping. Being used to using Stampeding Roar and your first tier talents will help you immensely.

- CC all the things. Again, having experience with feral will give you a jump on what cc's we have, and when to use them.

- DPS burst. I often start out in cat form and Prowl, so I can open offensively with Pounce/HotW/Rip/Mangle/Bite. Be aware that Heart of the Wild can give you strong resto-kitty burst, but you will be energy starved compared to a true feral spec, and we do not have all that many kitty spells. You can also use HotW with Balance spells, but if you aren't used to playing a caster, it may be safer and more effective to Mangle the crap out of them.

- Oh right, we are supposed to heal, too. Keep Rejuve rolling as much as possible on all teammates, and Lifebloom rolling on whoever is getting focused. Incarnation is your burst counter, which allows you to spam Regrowth (which should be glyphed), roll Lifebloom on multiple targets, and cast instant-roots to counter many melee classes. Have a shroom set up in some corner for a quick health boost if you or your partner(s) get low. I do use a macro for Nature's Swiftness + Healing Touch, but it isn't always up, especially since I also have a macro for Nature's Swiftness + Cyclone for their healer if it looks like we are close to a kill on one of their DPS.

That should help you get started, have fun healing!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
thank you very much for your thoughtful post, I consider all of these points to be very valuable.
I am currently configuring my bars and hotkeys, I cant wait to have some fun learning rdruid in low lvl 2s/3s/rbgs/bgs/tb
thanks again and look forward to hearing more critical information.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Oh, and if you haven't healed on a druid before, here is a quick summary of your healing spells and generally when to use them.

Rejuve - Your bread and butter. In the smaller arena comps, keep it rolling on everyone. In BGs and 5s, keep it rolling on key people. Remember, it will keep ticking when the target (or you) are stunned, so it is a very strong tool.

Regrowth - Your "flash" heal. I do recommend you leave it Glyphed, as that guarantees a crit, and its HoT is incredibly weak with Battle Fatigue and whatever that stacking healing debuff is called. This is what you use when someone is getting nuked and can't get to your Shroom in time. When you have Incarnation up, it is an instant cast, so spam away! It will completely destroy your mana, but most arena matches don't last long enough for that to matter. Regrowth refreshes Lifebloom and Harmony, which is your Mastery effect. This is a good thing, as Harmony buffs your HoTs.

Swiftmend - Partnered with Rejuve, this is a strong flash heal for very little mana, and it leaves a ground effect, multi-target HoT (unless Efflo is glyphed). I prefer not to use the Efflo glyph for PvP, as people generally move around too much, and it allows the opposite team a better chance to kill my shroom. It does have a CD, so be aware of that. Like Regrowth, it refreshes Harmony.

Wild Growth - Multi-target HoT with an initial direct heal. It isn't a very strong heal, but it is an instant cast so it can't be interrupted, and it is good to cast on the run when there isn't a huge amount of damage going out. It is also good for DPS who love to stand in Blizzard, Hurricane, or the like.

Healing Touch - It isn't much stronger than glyphed Regrowth, and it has a very long cast time which makes it susceptible to interrupts and being locked out of Nature spells (devastating for a resto druid). I macro Nature's Swiftness to Healing Touch so it becomes instant, and it gains a percentage boost to healing done. That is my "oh crap, he/she gonna die!" button. Healing Touch also refreshes Lifebloom and Harmony.

Lifebloom - On its own, it doesn't seem like much, but it is a moderately strong HoT that when expires, does a bunch of healing. If you glyph into Blooming, it will do even more healing when it expires, and Regrowth/Healing Touch will no longer refresh it. This is a mixed blessing, as the healing done is nice, but restacking it can be a pain in the butt when lives are on the line. One fun thing about Lifebloom, it can be dispelled, but when it is, it will burst heal the full expiration amount, which may not be exactly what your enemies want.

Nourish - Crap spell, don't ever bother with it in PvP.

Genesis - Situational spell. It will make all of your Rejuves tick faster, which essentially turns them from being a HoT to being a moderate flash heal. I don't use this very often in PvP, but it can help if you have a Rejvue on everyone, and a warrior Bladestorms in the middle of the group.

Wild Mushroom (Place/Bloom) - Ah yes, shrooms, wonderful, easy-to-forget-about shrooms. This is kind of a weird heal, but can be a game-changer when used. The way it works is you plant it in a fixed location with one spell, and them bloom it at your leisure (well, within 5 minutes of planting) with a different spell, and it can heal for some, up to a crap-ton. It is constantly absorbing your overhealing from Rejuve (up to the amount of *your* health pool), and then releases that when bloomed. If you bloom it soon after planting, you will get a decent burst heal, if it is fully charged, it can be a life-saver/game-changer. Make sure your partner knows where it is, and can get there quickly. Fun fact, you can Wild Charge to your shroom! If you partner a warlock regularly, plant the shroom on their teleport point, and make sure you have Symbiosis on them, as it gives them Rejuve, and you can use their personal teleporter to your Shroom.

I think those are the main heals for PvP, and when to use them. I may have forgotten one or two, but those are generally very situational. For example, Tranq. What PvPer in their right mind lets a druid channel that? :D
Edited by Pipikaula on 1/14/2014 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Use Incarnation for double dps melee, sotf for everything else. Your clones will be about .7-.9 cast times, making them invaluable. Incarnation for RBGs as well.

Rotate cyclones in 3s, use disorienting roar if you're not with a hunter. The bash can be nice too if you have no stun DR.

Personally prefer using mushroom/barkskin/cyclone glyphs over regrowth, but this is preference.

Also hotw wraths hit harder than cat.
Edited by Kitty on 1/14/2014 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Use Incarnation for double dps melee, sotf for everything else. Your clones will be about .7-.9 cast times, making them invaluable. Incarnation for RBGs as well.

Rotate cyclones in 3s, use disorienting roar if you're not with a hunter. The bash can be nice too if you have no stun DR.

Personally prefer using mushroom/barkskin/cyclone glyphs over regrowth, but this is preference.

Also hotw wraths hit harder than cat.

Agreed! I used to leave my glyph in since I use it for pve, but I take it out for pvp now. The HoT isn't bad at all, and is nice when you're getting cced and your partner still has a few HoTs ticking on them. Originally tried it out based off what I was seeing others doing, and I liked it :)
Edited by Veroicone on 1/14/2014 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Hm, I will have to try Regrowth unglyphed again, as I freely admit it was when Battle Fatigue first hit that I tried it, and felt like it was pretty neutered, so never gave it a second chance. I also admit I don't 'clone as often as I should, as I kept hearing in Skype:

Warlock (our normal target caller in 3s and 5s): "Switch to the mage."
Me: "Whoops, I just 'cloned it."

Although, it wasn't as bad as the time we invited another resto druid to join us in RBGs and in Twin Peaks heard, "Who the <bad word> just Cycloned the FC?!?!!"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Forgot to mention, Incarnation is great vs mage/rogue because you can't be poly'd during this.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
thank you very much for these responses , I have really enjoyed reading.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]