1-60 healers must be heal spec now?

90 Troll Druid
This is the third time my baby druid has been kicked from a group for being balance spec, not heal spec. I was under the impression that Blizzard wanted us to be able to heal or tank lowbie dungeons without needing to spec for it, and I was doing fine. Naturally, I did have to stop and drink occasionally.

It seems like they're just looking for someone to blame that they can't afk aoe entire dungeons any more. The last run, the tank was chain-pulling (back to back with no out of combat lulls) and DPS had aggro all over the place. DPS was pulling for the tank sometimes too. Unsurprisingly, I was struggling with mana.

After my third drink break in SM Lib right before the last boss, mage snapped "Might help if the healer was spec'd to heal!" and then I was kicked from the dungeon. Yes, I dared drink all of three times.

It's a bit of an issue with mana since at low levels all I have are Healing Touch, Rejuv and Regrowth. My basic routine is to keep Rejuv up on the tank, HT him if he gets low and it will fill his bar, and Rejuv on DPS who take a whack (like, a decent whack, I'm okay with them not being constantly topped off anymore). I'm not new to healing or to druids, but if I legitimately must be resto to do SM, then I'm okay with that. I didn't see a real difference in mana regen when I switched to resto spec, though.

I'm sure there are plenty of baby troll druids, cow priest/pallies, and dwarf shammies who've experienced this recently :) Thoughts? Is it me? Must I swap to a resto spec in dungeons? It's doubtful they'd wait for me to mana up after a spec hop anyway....
Edited by Ruzzle on 11/25/2010 10:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
At that level I can't see a lot of difference between specs. I am surprised nowadays at how quickly groups go through a dungeon... we used to have to think really hard about CC, proceed with caution and stop for drinks every other pull. If Blizz is swinging back towards that style there are going to be a whole bunch of alts that get impatient and cranky and it's probably just something they're going to have to get used to.

Having said that, if you chose Balance, why didn't you queue as just DPS?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Long DPS queues? :P

Actually, I do enjoy healing, but don't enjoy questing as a heal spec even now that it's so much better than it once was. I also wasn't aware that you got dual spec at 30 now (as the mage so helpfully screamed at me).

I still was under the impression, though, that Blizzard wanted us to be able to say, heal RFK as a shadow priest or tank Mara as a ret pally.

I don't think they want us to be using CC and drinking all the time, but at lower levels mana is definitely an issue. It always has been, to some extent, but I find it much more of an issue than it used to be. I have to really NEED to use that HT and I can see the chunk it takes out of my blue bar.

It's kind of funny that in my resto spec, I can throw in some DPS with my heals (free Wraths). But in terms of healing mana management, I don't see any kind of improvement being Resto over Balance.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
All LFD has taught me is that you cannot count on anyone being reasonable or having sense. Approaching it from this angle makes it so pleasing to find a good person though!

Yes you can heal as Balance, but like you said, there are those who will latch on to the smallest thing so they can exercise their limitless wrath potential on you.

That said, isn't dual spec level 30 now, and only 10 gold?
Reply Quote
I still was under the impression, though, that Blizzard wanted us to be able to say, heal RFK as a shadow priest or tank Mara as a ret pally.

If any of the instances my nerb has been are the norm then this is -not- the case. Tank specs in the cata retooled old world instances take it right hard. A retadin trying to do some of the crazyness in SFK would just fall right over.

Pretty sure the 10g lv30 dual spec is the flip side to an "every spec is the right spec" leveling philosophy.

No reason to not dual spec. Hell, even my Mage is taking Resto as his secondary. Everybody's doing it.
Edited by Rube on 11/25/2010 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Actually, now that you get some pretty hefty bonuses and a core ability at level 10, spec makes a lot more of a difference at low levels. Back in the day the only difference was a few talent choices. Now, for instance, when you choose to spec resto you instantly get: Swiftmend, +50% mana regen from spirit in combat, +25% healing, and Symbiosis (healing increase, effectively).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
At lvl35 by not specing in Heals your missing a few abilities. A casual group probably wouldn't mind but a group looking for a quick run and to chain pull would be considering you a bit of a possible liability.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Wrath has taught us that people do like to chain pull and speed run through dungeons. A lot. For that they ideally need reasonably well-geared, heal-specced healers. Especially after Blizzard buffed the difficulty of low-level dungeons with the last patch. So if they perceive you're slowing them down, they will resent this. But anyhow dual spec is so easy to get there's no reason not to run as heal spec.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Queue up again. Getting kicked by one group isn't worth stressing over.

Blizzard should consider ramping up mana regeneration for low level healers, it can be part of the LFD buff. It appears to be the only thing slowing down the newly tuned dungeons. If a dps falls behind to drink nobody cares.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
As said above, the new talent system actually makes a huge difference in dungeon healing. Had you specced healing, you may have had to drink only once due to increased mana regen. On top of that, who can argue with 10g for a dual-spec? As a healer I'm also annoyed whenever I have to drink. Just my two cents of course.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Shaman
If you can't heal it without having a healing spec, then you need a healing spec. If you can deal with back to back to back AoE pulls with crazy aggro (the majority of groups) with ease and without OOMing then do it. If you can't, then get a healing spec.

If you don't like DPS queues, then don't play a DPS. But don't complain about having to play a healer (with a healing spec) so that you can get instant queues.
Edited by Ping on 11/25/2010 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
At that level I can't see a lot of difference between specs. I am surprised nowadays at how quickly groups go through a dungeon... we used to have to think really hard about CC, proceed with caution and stop for drinks every other pull. If Blizz is swinging back towards that style there are going to be a whole bunch of alts that get impatient and cranky and it's probably just something they're going to have to get used to.

Having said that, if you chose Balance, why didn't you queue as just DPS?

with the new skills being applied as soon as you pick your spec, you lose a lot of healing power if you're not in heal spec, even at low levels. that's not to say it's to stupid easy to do it, i heal as ret on my 30's paladin with WoG procs from my crusader strikes. as a healing SPEC, you have a ton more power - Wild Growth is basically all you need as a druid at those levels, Earth Shield is OP any time, Penance is wicked cool.

people are dumb, deal and move on.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Dual spec is 100G. If you want to heal, pick up a healing spec. It won't hurt your questing spec any.

"I want faster queues" is a really awful excuse.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warrior
Dual spec is 100G. If you want to heal, pick up a healing spec. It won't hurt your questing spec any.

10g at level 30 now.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

10g at level 30 now.

I almost pooped my pants when I saw this on my Shammy the other night. Then I screamed that my druid wants his 990g back... oh and my paladin too!

As for the OP, I was healing as Ele for a lot of these dungeons and recently picked up resto to queue as heals. I never got kicked but upon entering I would tell the group "FYI: I'm ele so please don't be stupid" and most groups were just happy to have somebody healing. On the rare occasion I got a cool protadin they would pick up a lot of the healing on themselves while I actually dps'd and off-heal.

So, it CAN be done but as you're seeing people do get impatient. It's sad but the random dungeon queue is killing people's attitudes towards others. I'm just as guilty.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I personally think the group you were with was mildly frustrated by you (whether you were not good enough, or took too long drinking, or afk'd, or something else) and the mage pointed out you weren't even trying by saying you weren't heal spec. As a result, the group decided they no longer wanted to carry you since you weren't putting in your best effort.

If you aren't the right spec while leveling, I personally feel like you're the equivalent to the guy who shows up with no gems and enchants wanting to raid whatever is current at the time. I honestly don't understand why anyone gets upset that there are consequences to not putting forth an honest effort.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
We're talking VC, WG, and RFD here, that's a long way from HM LK.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
This thread reminded of being specced as "Dreamstate" in BC, and having the odd person spew profanities and ragequit when they noticed I wasn't shifting to ToL, and it made me smile.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]