1-60 healers must be heal spec now?

85 Tauren Druid
I personally think the group you were with was mildly frustrated by you (whether you were not good enough, or took too long drinking, or afk'd, or something else) and the mage pointed out you weren't even trying by saying you weren't heal spec. As a result, the group decided they no longer wanted to carry you since you weren't putting in your best effort.

If you aren't the right spec while leveling, I personally feel like you're the equivalent to the guy who shows up with no gems and enchants wanting to raid whatever is current at the time. I honestly don't understand why anyone gets upset that there are consequences to not putting forth an honest effort.

I personally think that you may have little to no idea of what you are talking about.

You dont need to be heal specced to do those runs PERIOD. If you kick someone out of the group for drinking too much, you should quit this game. Please, I beg you. Do it for the children. Wouldn't that be amazing if dps had to spec differently for instances to put in their.. what was it? Best effort? Let me list some classes/specs that I have encountered oh-so-often while leveling:

Balance druid wearing feral gear.
Sub rogues without poisons.
Any rogue without poisons.
Mages not using any armor.
Warlocks not using pets.
Hunters not using pets.
Death knight tanks.
Dps paladins with RF up.
Tank paladins without RF up.

Best effort? Give me a break. If this guy was able to heal as a caster spec without a wipe that was a direct result of him not being heal specced, then he put in the adequate amount of effort (which is far above average in most cases) to complete the run. Dps like to be *#@!@@%s when they die and they always blame it on the healer. Don't be an enabler by making healers feel guilty for worthless stuff like this. His group was a bunch of clowns and that's what it should be left at.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
As a healer, I take issue with a DPS queuing as a Tank just to skip to the head of the line.

If you're going to queue as a healer, have a healing spec available.

It covers your back if people get petty, but it also indicates that you're willing to expend the effort to at least tinker with the healing tree. With the LFD tool, people really aren't interested in finding out how good a healer you are. They want an efficient team. If you don't appear efficient, it's their call to kick you. I get the impression LFG PUGs are frankly surprised to find themselves grouped with good healers - they've dealt with DPS queued as healers, or heal spec'd characters simply not performing well.

That said, the group was full of jerks. Unfortunately, they did find a suitable scapegoat in your lack of healing spec.

If you're *not* going to have a heal spec, you better be prepared to knock their socks off with some amazing healing. That the mage didn't notice til near the end means you didn't do too badly, but that he bothered to check at that point might mean that you weren't doing as well as you assumed. (or he was just bored and decided to be a jerk)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Its 4.03a people. Dmg has been turned Way up in lowbie dungeons. I know everyones used to wrath were you could heal a lowbie dungeon by throwing 1 hot on the tank and afking, but those days are gone. Crap I healed tanks with less health than me as disc on this guy in wrath, so I know its a shock. So either bring your own tank if you want to heal as a dps spec, or be prepared to be kicked or be a part of some horrible wipes. I watched a tank go from 100% to 5 in under 2 seconds in stockades today on my dwarf shammy.

It was fun while it lasted, but face facts. Healing as a dps spec makes you liability today.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'll simply say this to all the 'Well I healed up to 80 as DPS spec so everyone should!'

Would YOU trust random people to heal you in a DPS spec? Because I certainly would not. Just because someone CAN does not people people will trust them to. I've ran into plenty of people who tried healing in DPS spec and failed utterly at it, so get off your high horse because no one cares for your bragging.

If you want to heal, go heal spec it's practically free to dual spec now.
Edited by Kyura on 11/27/2010 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
At that level I can't see a lot of difference between specs. I am surprised nowadays at how quickly groups go through a dungeon... we used to have to think really hard about CC, proceed with caution and stop for drinks every other pull. If Blizz is swinging back towards that style there are going to be a whole bunch of alts that get impatient and cranky and it's probably just something they're going to have to get used to.

Having said that, if you chose Balance, why didn't you queue as just DPS?

i agree i remember the days of "ok pull this group behind this wall so we dont aggro the lvl 30 boars over there" now its "pull everything go go go go go shaman tank to the rescue.....priest tank to the rescue?" and heres an even BETTER ideal for the balance druid OP.....if ur balance and currently wearing caster gear to heal dungeon ...........(dare i ask?) ........ why not just go restro and dual spec for 100g when u hit 40?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
You can dual spec at lvl 30 and it only costs 10g. There is really no excuse to be a non healing spec in a dungeon. I wouldn't kick someone for it if they were getting the job done but I understand why others do.
Reply Quote
Here is the bottom line. The majority that say things like that are people that don't or can't or refuse to play along with others.

It empowers them to say things like "Why you doing this or that when you are specced this and that?"

When I was leveling, Dual Spec was still 1,000g and not available until... don't know if it had a cap. But point is, I never had dual spec. And I went Shadow.

Thats right, Shadow. I healed all of my dungeons 1-69 as a Shadow spec, including the TBC dungeons. I thought I did good. I was thorough, watched the life bars, and did everything I could.

Not until level 68, when Utgarde Keep dungeon came along, did I have a problem with opinions of others, especially those that made sure I knew what they had on their mind.

We had the BIGGEST group fights as to whether it was me that was simply fail, or whether the TBC/Daily-Random-Reward geared tank was fail. I had to listen and go through so much on this issue, I said, F it, saved and spent my 1,000g, and specced Holy.

A post said it before. If you can heal, and heal pretty darn good, when not in a healing spec, what is the problem!?

True... if you are in a healing spec, you can heal *better* but I will say it again. If you can heal, and heal pretty darn good, when not in healing spec, what is the problem!?

I am darn sure, that if I had stayed in Shadow, that I could have healed anything and everything through any and all 5-mans. Even the pre-ICC dungeons. I simply did not want to have to listen to a bunch of wanna-be's.

But... thats why Blizzard made dual specialization only cost 10g, right? (After I spent my 1,000g, of course.)

Raids of course, are a different consideration, so I find it very logical that for raids, one is "required" to come as a healing spec when healing.

Yeah, when dual spec was 1000 gold no boss had 30k health until BC. Now? A level 30 boss has 30k health. Heck, Cookie has somethin like 10k health and he's one of the first bosses you face. Goin beyond level 30 without a healin spec or a tank spec makes you a liability. Its simple fact.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
LFD often will group you with morons. Dual spec if you can and move on from the idiocy.

Edit: For the record, you should be able to heal anything as off-spec. I healed most every normal instance from 10-70 as Shadow because there was no dual spec, it just meant that I had to have a spirit-heavy set of gear in my bags.
Edited by Sorania on 11/27/2010 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
52 Dwarf Shaman
You people do realize that low level dungeons are more difficult now, right? You can't just pull entire rooms and hurpa derp everything to death anymore.

I've seen many a BoA geared tank get their gear-induced egos crushed.
Reply Quote
LFD often will group you with morons. Dual spec if you can and move on from the idiocy.

Edit: For the record, you should be able to heal anything as off-spec. I healed most every normal instance from 10-70 as Shadow because there was no dual spec, it just meant that I had to have a spirit-heavy set of gear in my bags.

You should run some instances nowadays as a at level character. Instance mobs actually hit fairly hard nowadays, especially bosses. Usin anecdotal evidence from before 4.0.3a is pointless at this point considerin how much harder and just straight up different the instances are compared to their old incarnations
Reply Quote
83 Tauren Druid
Dual spec is 100G. If you want to heal, pick up a healing spec. It won't hurt your questing spec any.

"I want faster queues" is a really awful excuse.

Duel spec is 10g, not 100g, and it's now available at level 30, so there's really no reason (unless you're a fresh reroll on a new server) not to pick it up, and besides, balance and resto use the same gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I wonder what portion of the people in this thread have actually played a 15-60 dungeon since 4.0.3a. They've gotten a LOT harder. in RFC I had a tank go 100-0 in under 3 seconds on the final boss, when the only spells available to my shammy were earth shield and healing wave. You actually have to heal now. Quite a bit. Especially if things don't go perfectly. Also consider the new expansion is going to bring in people who are new to the game, and don't have heirloom gear, too.

uh, what? I just healed WC on my ret spec paladin in ret gear with a shieldless ret spec pally tank after our healer dropped at the beginning. Practically slept through it. Was top dps, too. I've healed RFC, Deadmines, WC, and BFD on my lowbie spriest with no issues, though obviously as a spriest I can't dps and heal. If anything, 4.0.3 lowbie healing is easier than it was in 3.x.
Edited by Kaels on 11/28/2010 8:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warrior
Vis
There's no excuse to heal as DPS spec past level 30. You get a second spec for practically nothing. Since Blizz buffed lower level dungeons, you're basically just selfishly gimping the group because you are too lazy/stupid/bad to dual spec heals.

Physical DPS classes got kinda boned on this deal though, they actually have to carry a heal set now. It used to be so easy to heal below level 60 that you could get away with 0 int and a DPS spec.

EDIT: The biggest thing now is non-healing specs get little to no mana return during combat, which means if a pull gets out of hand and you're DPS spec, you have a hard limit on how much damage the group can take before people start dying.
Edited by Nephele on 11/28/2010 1:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I wonder what portion of the people in this thread have actually played a 15-60 dungeon since 4.0.3a. They've gotten a LOT harder. in RFC I had a tank go 100-0 in under 3 seconds on the final boss, when the only spells available to my shammy were earth shield and healing wave. You actually have to heal now. Quite a bit. Especially if things don't go perfectly. Also consider the new expansion is going to bring in people who are new to the game, and don't have heirloom gear, too.

uh, what? I just healed WC on my ret spec paladin in ret gear with a shieldless ret spec pally tank after our healer dropped at the beginning. Practically slept through it. Was top dps, too. I've healed RFC, Deadmines, WC, and BFD on my lowbie spriest with no issues, though obviously as a spriest I can't dps and heal. If anything, 4.0.3 lowbie healing is easier than it was in 3.x.

lulz wait till you get to sfk and the first boss one hits your party
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

lulz wait till you get to sfk and the first boss one hits your party

Just did SFK. Easysauce. Did some more ret healing while the healer afk'd...more easysauce.

(edit: this is kaels, forgot I was logged on roommate's account)
Edited by Solarpowered on 11/29/2010 6:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
well being this is the end of the WOTLK expansion and I am way over geared for Heroics, i will heal as shadow so I can dps too, I only switch to holy if my tank is undergeared. Most of the time this doesnt bother people at all, as no one is dying and I am top of the dps meters. But every now and then I get a person or two who be-littles me calls me terrible for healing as DPS even though no one is dying.

Moral of the story? Some people will just always complain no matter what.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
10G Dual spec at 30.
Tons of Blue Rewards leveling up.
Low level healing specs actually offer strong skills now.
When the LFD pops you have plenty of time to switch specs and throw on healing gear.

I had a Ret Pally queued as a healer who kept on his heirloom Axe the whole run. I can see the Shoulders and Chest for the XP boost (tho you really don't need it now at all while leveling)...but the Axe? Come on jackass.

I also had a Cat Druid queued as a Tank who never shifted to Bear once. I've also had Ferals who don't use bleeds, Moonkins who spam Moonfire, Mages and Locks who still AoE everything etc, etc.

Since the end of TBC there's been an influx of really bad players who feel they are uber because of Wrath mechanics. I really hope the Heroics at 85 are punishing at the beginning.
Edited by Rubytuesday on 11/29/2010 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]