1-60 healers must be heal spec now?

31 Gnome Priest
Well things are different now. You guys probably dont remember, but YEARS ago when wow was a young game, instances were actually hard and time consuming. Each pull was an event basically. You had to sap one, sheep one, sleep one, and healers would heal like crazy on each pull and drink for every single pull, and no one would dare pull before CC and full healer mana bar. People are spoiled now!

I just recently made this priest gnome and I only do instances, I was first shadow spec because I thought it didnt matter, but oooops was I wrong, the last patch has made dungeons actually fun again! They are actually a little hard now. A LITTLE! Still not nearly close to what it used to be. But I saw my self OOM some times, which was a suprise, and yes I did get some damn bear tank saying, "WHY R U SHADOW SPECC? U R STUPID?".

I respecc to Holy, and it makes a BIG diference now. that 50% mana regen helps so much. With the new talent setupid where you get big boosts from talent tree at lvl 10, and with the change to dungeons making them harder, and with people still not relising that dungeons are actually harder now, I think it nessecary to specc healing talent for healing.

Plus like most people have stated, 10 gold at lvl 30 isnt a big problem.

On a interesting side note, I recently made a pally holy specc, and we wiped twice in RFC on the first boss! lol, good times ^_^
Reply Quote
48 Blood Elf Priest
Dual-spec at 30 for 10g. There's absolutely no reason not to be specced for healing if you want to heal. Especially since just running instances until your eyes bleed is a viable (though still not the fastest, overall) way to level. I haven't done a quest since level 15 on this character that wasn't in a dungeon. I just imagine what it would be like trying to heal as Shadow and I know I'd be gimping myself way too much. Penance I might be able to live without, but Meditation is far too important and talented PW:S is much improved over baseline. I don't have a druid but I doubt it's much different capability-wise. Your mana may be suffering because of idiots in the group, but you're not helping yourself by losing Meditation. I can't comment on the usefulness of Swiftmend but if I had a similar spell that worked off of Renew I'd probably take it, and it might even make me cast Renew in the first place in some situations.

Okay, so I'm meandering a bit, but my point is that the burden is on you to give yourself the tools to succeed. LFD may not pair you with the brightest people, but that doesn't excuse anyone from personal responsibility.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If you can't heal it without having a healing spec, then you need a healing spec. If you can deal with back to back to back AoE pulls with crazy aggro (the majority of groups) with ease and without OOMing then do it. If you can't, then get a healing spec.

If you don't like DPS queues, then don't play a DPS. But don't complain about having to play a healer (with a healing spec) so that you can get instant queues.

How does this philosophy apply to Paladins? We have plea and if you're a Belf, you get the arcane torrent, which at level 80, provides somewhere in the hood of 2460 mana, I think?

Not sure about leveling a paladin healer because I have been 80 for a while. Just wondering if this philosophy works for every healer? Mana regen better? Certainly not the case for Paladin healers.

And I am talking about the Holy spec here.

Must be nice to be a shaman.
Edited by Machistmo on 11/30/2010 3:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
You should be able to heal perfectly fine as pure DPS spec til WotLK dungeons. As caster DPS of course. Get a decent healing addon and stop overhealing to minimize downtime. Take a sip of water after nearly every pull.

Everybody full= straight DPS
group at 80%= DPS,DPS,heal
group at 50%= heal,DPS,heal
group at 30%-= straight healing
Reply Quote
46 Night Elf Druid
To be honest, this gets on my nerves. I specced DPS and I waited in the long DPS que to see another DPS specced class as a healer or tank role. If I have to suffer the wait, so should you all. Not screw over the rest of the group by not giving your 100% in that role just because you didn't want a long que time. If you want to be DPS than take the good and the bad that go along with it and stop trying to find short cuts, then blame everyone else when someone calls you out on it.
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
At that level on my lower alts, I've seen way too many dps queue up as heals and fail miserably at keeping everyone alive. Only rarely did I see people successfully heal and dps at the same time! I don't blame them for wanting an actual healer over a hybrid looking to skirt dps queue times.

Dual specialization is lv 30, and costs nothing to get now. Get it; no excuse to complain about getting booted past 30 for being a dps in the healer role.
Edited by Dionyssia on 11/30/2010 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Like others have said, with Dual spec only 10g and available @ lvl 30 there's really no excuse to queue for a role that you're not spec'd for.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The idea that healing with a DPS spec is some sort of grave morale crime is laughable, especially at lower levels where content is (still) so easy. If tanks and DPS are behaving intelligently, then there should be no problem healing with an off-spec (Ret or Enhancement would obviously need different healing gear). To suggest that the healer ought to be "giving it 100%" so that the tanks and DPS don't have to is nonsense.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Healing as DPS spec is really fine until 40. But after that, for a mere 100g and being able to use the same gear, if you want to heal you really have no excuse not to just get a heal spec, sorry...

Edit: WTF srsly lvl 30 and 10g now?? Good god, yea no excuse at all..
Edited by Keiren on 11/30/2010 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
The idea that healing with a DPS spec is some sort of grave morale crime is laughable, especially at lower levels where content is (still) so easy. If tanks and DPS are behaving intelligently, then there should be no problem healing with an off-spec (Ret or Enhancement would obviously need different healing gear). To suggest that the healer ought to be "giving it 100%" so that the tanks and DPS don't have to is nonsense.

ITT: People who haven't leveled since the patch.

How does this philosophy apply to Paladins? We have plea and if you're a Belf, you get the arcane torrent, which at level 80, provides somewhere in the hood of 2460 mana, I think?

Not sure about leveling a paladin healer because I have been 80 for a while. Just wondering if this philosophy works for every healer? Mana regen better? Certainly not the case for Paladin healers.

If my Priest can heal as Holy or Disc without running into mana troubles while leveling, I doubt a Paladin would have trouble either.

Unless the group is terrible, I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Yes, yes you do. If you were going to heal in LFD, you should spec for healing. You can't do both.

If you don't have the patience to wait for dual spec so you can go balance for quests and resto for LFD, then don't queue up as balance unless you plan to dps.

The way the talent trees work now enforce this even more, you get a bonus to healing for the first point you put into resto.

If you want to queue as heals, make sure you're a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Double post is cool story
Edited by Orvas on 12/1/2010 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Yes, yes you do. If you were going to heal in LFD, you should spec for healing. You can't do both.

If you don't have the patience to wait for dual spec so you can go balance for quests and resto for LFD, then don't queue up as balance unless you plan to dps.

The way the talent trees work now enforce this even more, you get a bonus to healing for the first point you put into resto.

If you want to queue as heals, make sure you're a healer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]