Divine Storm must proc H.Power or is useless

85 Human Paladin
Nice to have Divine Storm back, but if it is going to share a cooldown with Crusader Strike, it MUST proc a Holy Power or it becomes a near useless ability, requiring 4-5 mobs before it stops being a DPS loss. And as has been stated oh-so-many times, Cata is not meant for large mobs.

I'd almost rather have it back to using Holy Power. At least then it got used. Now Divine Storm is almost as useless as Divine Plea.

On a related note, any chance of getting the old sound effect back for Divine Storm. This new, environmentally-friendly quiet sound effect is wimpy.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
Cata is about small packs, 2-4 mobs where you really have to pay attention to who you're targeting.

the problem with AoEing everything is that you don't really target, and soon enough you don't really pay any attention to individual mobs.

Relegating AoE to a small niche may or may not be the right thing to do. But it is where things are headed right now, and that being the case, DS being relegated to a small niche is the right move for the overall design.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
"If Divine Storm affects 4 or more targets, it generates a charge of Holy Power."

Would be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
divine storm is still affected by divine purpose, as far as i know, so you have a 40% chance to proc it when you use divine storm.

this is, of course, while keeping in mind that in an AoE situation you don't need holy power for any AoE ability (holy wrath, consecrate, divine storm, SoR maybe), which means that in a situation where divine storm is useful holy power is not vital.
Reply Quote

this is, of course, while keeping in mind that in an AoE situation you don't need holy power for any AoE ability (holy wrath, consecrate, divine storm, SoR maybe), which means that in a situation where divine storm is useful holy power is not vital.

Being able to power Inquisition would be nice - it buffs Holy Wrath and Consecration damage. So would having Holy Power for WoG if necessary.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Whine whine whine. Divine Purpose includes Divine Storm. Next.
Edited by Melekhet on 11/26/2010 8:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Cata is about small packs, 2-4 mobs where you really have to pay attention to who you're targeting.

the problem with AoEing everything is that you don't really target, and soon enough you don't really pay any attention to individual mobs.

Relegating AoE to a small niche may or may not be the right thing to do. But it is where things are headed right now, and that being the case, DS being relegated to a small niche is the right move for the overall design.

Please please stop saying this. Cata is about that for the first 6 months of its existence. After that, it will be steamrolling through heroics to farm tier gears as the tiers increase. There will come a point, soon in the cata expansion that heroics will be farmed the same way we farm wotlk heroics today.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Please please stop saying this. Cata is about that for the first 6 months of its existence. After that, it will be steamrolling through heroics to farm tier gears as the tiers increase. There will come a point, soon in the cata expansion that heroics will be farmed the same way we farm wotlk heroics today.

The same way BC heroics were farmed by steamrolling everything in them even when people were in Sunwell gear? Wait that's not right at all.....
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
When I'm up to full 3hp I use DS then TV for dps numbers boost.

Divine Storm as it is right now will always be a DPS loss unless it is on a large (read: "never encountered") pack of mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The same way BC heroics were farmed by steamrolling everything in them even when people were in Sunwell gear? Wait that's not right at all.....

I most definitely steam roll tanked everything in tbc in sunwell gear.
Edited by Lawbringer on 11/26/2010 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

No you didn't. If you tried that in Mana tombs the casters towards the end would have ended any and all attempts at your "Steamrolling" of the instance. Magisters terrace would have laughed in your face. Sethekk would have chain feared your healer or you until the rest of your party was dead from getting dropped into other groups that stunned/feared you. That's just naming a few of the heroics that were impossible to aoe steamroll like they do in Wotlk.

BC heroics had mobs in them that could 2 shot any tank, -Possibly- 3 shot the better geared tanks if they were lucky. Otherwise they had mechanics in them that made it impossible to pull groups like we do now in heroics. Mobs that 1-2 shot most dps if they pulled aggro (You only had one taunt back then as a paladin and it was on a long CD) check. Mobs that stunned the tank and forced him to either use a pvp trinket or take absurd amounts of damage? Check. Mobs that if pulled incorrectly would pull 2 other groups that would place MS on the tank as well as stun? Check.

I'm not going to lie and say "Oh Heroics in my day were impossible!", but they were certainly more difficult than they are now. Even my poorly geared DK can tank mobs in heroics, where as those antics would have gotten me killed really quickly in BC.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I'd consider this to be a problem. I don't like how AoE ignores our our new resource, our mastery and our 31 point talent. As Sharrow mentioned, inquisition would be nice in AoE too if we had a reliable way to means of putting it up.

DS should have remained a finisher and we should have been given an AoE to stack Holy Power with instead of CS.

PS: I don't want to hear about fan of knives. We are not energy driven like rogues and the design to ignore holy power/combo points during AoE doesn't transfer over to a cooldown driven class very well.

^this. The problem with DS now is that, on top of being very marginal, it also lacks synergy with the rest of our system. Our design just feels so haphazard right now.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue

No you didn't. If you tried that in Mana tombs the casters towards the end would have ended any and all attempts at your "Steamrolling" of the instance.

<3

I love it when people remember how things actually worked.
Reply Quote
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Divine Purpose has the chance to proc each time Divine Storm hits an opponent, or just a chance per cast? The tooltip, it be vague.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
pretty sure it's once per cast
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]