Patch 4.0.3a Paladin Updates

90 Blood Elf Paladin
"Shield of the Righteous: Contribution of attack power halved (now 60% with full Holy Power) and base damage brought up so that a level 85 paladin in Heroic dungeon gear deals the same damage with no Vengeance, but Vengeance has less impact."

In what world and in any sense of logic does this make this spell even remotely worth using? I personally see no reason to even use SotR anymore if I have to waste 3 HP to get such small hits.

"Holy shield no longer increases chance to block. Instead, it increases the amount blocked by an additional 10%, for a total of 40% damage blocked."

So it's become obvious that you guys seriously do hate this class. Someone explain to me how 10% extra damage blocked per hit is better then blocking 30% of the damage of a hit more often? I mean, maybe I failed math or something but this makes no sense to me.

It's become more and more counter-intuitive just to log into a paladin anymore.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
SotR is still worth using because it will still be the single hardest hitting spell you have.

The Holy shield change makes it where mastery won't become worthless to you after tier 11. It makes mastery scale better at lower levels of the stat like you will find when leveling to 85. When/if you do cap it in cataclysm, it will be that much more powerful.

But why think about these things when we can be screaming "THE SKY IS FALLING" all day long?
Edited by Forumlurker on 11/26/2010 10:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Way to post with a level one alt, shows cowardliness.

Ok, with the Holy Shield change we have to look at math, I know...math, might be hard for you to understand this but try to follow along.

First off, with Holy Shield the way it was before I was blocking 3,000 points of damage from a 10,000 point hit say every 2 seconds (just to round things and make this math a bit easier). Now with the higher block chance gone, I block 4,000 points of damage from a 10,000 point hit say every 4 seconds. So here in lies the "counter-intuitive" part I was speaking about.

If you look at the numbers, blocking more damage less often does not automatically make the ability better then it was. In fact, it's a huge nerf in damage mitigation and causes a distinct rise in the amount of resources healers need to spend in order to keep me alive.

Now I'm curious how a 50% decrease in damage from SotR still makes it the hardest hitting spell I have...care to post up some numbers?
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
We dont block per second. We have combat tables. Bad analogy is bad.

Lets say you block 90% of the time and the rest are all avoided/or hits under the previous patch. X is damage taken over the entire fight.

0.9*.3*X=0.27X

Now under the new rules

0.75*.4*X=0.3X

AS YOU CAN SEE YOU MITIGATE MORE DAMAGE THIS WAY DEPENDING ON YOUR BLOCK PERCENTAGE!!! For me its a 1% difference in favor of the old system.

You were also not getting as much mitigation point for point on mastery as you were parry and dodge unless you block capped. Now the numbers are much more even.

As for the SotR nerf yes it is a nerf. But if you had bothered to check with a dummy you would realize its a 50% nerf to its scaling with vengeance and not the entire spell.

SotR:5845
CS:1684
AS:4322
HW:1394
J:2249

All non crit. Now how many tests did you do to determine SotR was not worth casting?

But that doesnt matter my class was nerfed now were the worst class in the game and blizzard hates us.

/sarcasm
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Let me try to clear a few things up for you, OP. The change to holy shield was welcomed by most of the paladin tank community, and other tanks. The reason is that the paladin mastery could be capped in T11 gear with the old mechanic. This made mastery something that paladins stacked to a certain ammount, and then it was worthless to them. With this change, paldins won't be getting block-capped without making huge sacrafices, and even then it won't be possible for a while. Yes this means our damage intake is a bit spikier than before, but this is still a good change.

The reason the AP modifiers on Shield of the Righteous were lowered is really quite simple. They gave SotR base damage, and then lowered the AP bonus so that with no vengeance stacked up, SotR will hit slightly harder than it did before this change. The difference, however, is that with a lot of vengeance built up SotR won't do silly ammounts of damage. Warriors had something similar done to their Shield Slam ability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Let me try to clear a few things up for you, OP. The change to holy shield was welcomed by most of the paladin tank community, and other tanks. The reason is that the paladin mastery could be capped in T11 gear with the old mechanic. This made mastery something that paladins stacked to a certain ammount, and then it was worthless to them. With this change, paldins won't be getting block-capped without making huge sacrafices, and even then it won't be possible for a while. Yes this means our damage intake is a bit spikier than before, but this is still a good change.

The reason the AP modifiers on Shield of the Righteous were lowered is really quite simple. They gave SotR base damage, and then lowered the AP bonus so that with no vengeance stacked up, SotR will hit slightly harder than it did before this change. The difference, however, is that with a lot of vengeance built up SotR won't do silly ammounts of damage. Warriors had something similar done to their Shield Slam ability.

Ok, I get that all now. As for the douchbage who can't post on anything other then a level 1 alt, "obvious troll is obvious". It just didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me until someone took the time to explain it.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue

The TL;DR is this: Prot Mastery is now able to scale better, and when you do get to block cap again, it'll block for more. ShoR now does more damage with no vengeance when it was weak, and does less when you're at full Vengeance, when it was ludicrous.

::gidgy stamp of approval::
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue

Ok, I get that all now. As for the douchbage who can't post on anything other then a level 1 alt, "obvious troll is obvious". It just didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me until someone took the time to explain it.

I explained it the first time. You just wouldnt listen to a lvl 1 so how about a level...
Edited by Forumlurker on 11/26/2010 9:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin

Prot is fine. Quit seeing low numbers and learn why we were nerfed before panicing.

I like posting on level 1s from time to time to let people try and debate the topic not the person.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 11/26/2010 9:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
LoL.

<3 Holiwrath.

Best poster on the forum.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

%%*!ing typical, YOU AIR BREATHERS MAKE ME SICK!

Solid Breathing master race is superior
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]