How to RP an Assassin

(Locked)

85 Human Rogue
(This is inspired from the other thread, How to RP a Dragon, which had some great tips in it and I seriously recommend reading.)

WARNING: You most likely do not want to RP an assassin. Just like Dragon RP, you're really not going to run about bragging to people about it. We assassins are the master of deception, and that means being able to get up while you're wife/hubby it still asleep, go out and murder your deader, and come back home in your PJ's while they're still snoozing.

Again: Do NOT RP an Assassin if you intend on brooding hard in a bar flicking daggers at a wall because people will get suspicious. Assassins are NOT viewed as heroes. We're VILE in the eyes of society and even more-so treacherous. Guards do not like you in their city. They also think you smell bad.

Now.

My reason for writing this guide is because I have Role-Played an Assassin since the dawn of time, but was never quite good at it in the beginning. After a lot of tips from various Pro's who are now long gone, I decided it's time to pass my knowledge down to the small-time thugs who want to be one of the most badass characters that they can be.

We got that out of the way now? Goody! Let us begin:

"Assassin 101: You're not an Assassin."
Assassin's work underground. To some, assassination is not a life-style but simply a job. To others, assassination is something they're fascinated by and love killing with knives and gloat about it every chance they get in the city. The latter also tends to brag about being a cold-hearted snake (LOOK INTO HIS EYES) despite bouncing about madly telling everyone how they can't get it up without stabbing someone with a BIG KNIFE.

The former is the proper way an assassin would view his job, while the latter is bit of an idiot. Now, this isn't to say assassins can not be violent. Depending on the personality of your character and your subtly, you can be any assassin you want. Heck, you can be the crazed-stabby-stab guy as long as you pull it off right. But first we should get to what it means being an assassin despite your personality.

"Assassin 101: Poisons, Murder and My Little Pony."
You have chosen to be an assassin, but you're just a thug and your only knowledge of what a Black-Jack is within card games. What is there to do? How do I get contacts? How can I make a name for myself? Well slow down there, Billy. You gotta get your trousers up before you want to prance about being a badass. Here's the facts of what is common knowledge to ALL assassins:

-Poisons
-Subtly
-Deception
-Picking Locks
-Keen knowledge of every race's anatomy.
-A weapon of choice (Your option to specialize in whatever you want)

Now those are the roots of the grand tree that is an awesome assassin. Now that we have the basics of what makes you an assassin, let us move to fitting personality style:

"Assassin 101: You're a bad ass."

As mentioned before, you can have any personality for your assassin as long as it doesn't reveal their shady profession.

You CAN be the crazed-stabby type as long as they keep it contained within them. This gives you a window to make a character very nervous in public, perhaps sweating all the time or wringing his hands in search of something to sate his lust for killing. These types are the most suspicious and I recommend it to those who already can handle assassins.

The second type is probably the easiest to RP. You're level-headed and act as a commoner amongst people in whatever city you work in. Perhaps you're a quiet librarian, a nasty butcher, or a simple bar-maid who is well known for smiling at folks for serving the best drinks in the city. Whatever you choose for their low-profile profession is completely up to you and I recommend that you choose it wisely. Whatever you make your character do outside of killing reflects their personality.

Ex 1: The dwarven butcher is really a heavy-set assassin who gets his job done by poisoning food and sending it to his target, and relying on his bloody cleaver incase things get messy. He's still subtle despite his bulky size because he knows how to deceive the public eye and even has some great combat skills with his hatchet.

Ex 2: The harmless elven bar-maid smiles sweetly at her people, but will poison drinks or tamper with her bar to set traps. Perhaps her target comes into the bar and sits under a loosened chandelier? When going out to do the job, her lithe and acrobatic body give her the ability to make scaling buildings with ease.

These are just two little examples of the VAST amount of personalities for your assassin. Get creative, but remember to be subtle.
85 Human Rogue
(Continued:)

"Assassin 101: You're also a wimp."
Now here comes the fun part: Limits. You have them. Perhaps your lithe assassin figure can easily sneak into a building, but should the -rare- occasion occur that you're caught or something goes wrong, you can ONLY flee. No, you're not going to fight anyone. No, you're not going to punch someone in the face. You're a pathetic worm and it's about time someone shoves a boot up your bum for sneaking around their homes and stealing their toothpaste, boy!

But seriously. As an assassin, MOST of us depending on background we're not the most well-trained direct combat types. Should you get in a scrap, you're going to rely on dirt in the face and being elusive AKA: GTFO'ing there. Our basic combat skills usually are not on par with the retard-strength hulking spiked refrigerator (AKA: Warrior) that's looking at you funny.

The most IMPORTANT thing though about our limits is our counter identity. Should we be discovered, our job is over. So never, ever choose to stay and fight. Should a real fight occur for your assassin (Make sure it's a scripted one so you both don't look dumb), you should consider your alter identity. Flee if possible. If the person in question fights you in a bar, call for help. Don't think of valor, think of your life. Remember: To the world you are just a flimsy citizen, no one expects you to defend yourself.

"Assassin 101: Doing your Shady Job"
Now you can't be an assassin without getting your hands dirty. ICly, your character can work for any underground agency that hires you. This can be totally made up by you, being that little is known of the underground crime realm. Perhaps you could ask a friend of yours to hire you as their personal assassin!

Another option is for you to post papers on an IC board or something, like an advertisement for getting things done. Don't put your name on it, just say, "If you want one less body breathing on this world, give a specific name and place it in a bag full of X amount of gold at a certain shady location." With your cunning skills as an assassin, should there be anyone sly enough to set you up for a trap you'll most likely spot them before they spot you. You can do this by posting the IC advertisement on your realm forum or something. This promotes RP, so it's heavily recommended!

"Assassin 101: Lookin' good."

There's a very mislead idea that all assassins should prance about in their death-looking gear with an arsenal of weapons strapped to them. Any good assassin will cloth themselves in casual citizen clothing and conceal their weapon, or perhaps use it for another purpose (a hatchet for a butcher cleaver, or a thin knife used as a writing utensil).

Remember, nothing gives you away more than running about with a dark hood on in broad daylight. At night time when you're on the job, but not when you're trying to lay low in the city.

"Assassin 101: The Test"

Okay, folks, that's all I really have to cover. Should anyone have comments, questions or concerns, please free feel to let me know. I would love to add more to this list to enlighten our future killers of how to pull off the perfect assassin profile.

Before I finish this though, let me do a quick recap, or a TL;DR:

The DO's of an Assassin: You're a bad ass.
- Conceal weapons. Be it hidden in clothing or used for another purpose (see above)
- Take up a citizen job. Be casual, be kind, be deceptive. You have a second life, remember that.
- Wear citizen's clothing.
- Take up a hobby to reflect your personality. Things need to occupy our cool minds in between missions.
- Actually kill people, but ONLY your targets. Make sure no one sees you. (Durrr.)
- Keep your lips sealed of what you do besides your hobby and citizen profession. Let no one know of your assassin second life.

The DON'T of an Assassin: You're stupid.
EDIT: - RPing an assassin is not recommended if you're new to RP. (Fixed because it's not fair to exclude newbies right away. Building up to be a great assassin if half the fun!)
- Don't run around in your assassination gear in the city with big weapons.
- Don't talk about death every chance you get in the city.
- Don't play with knives in the city. Seriously.
- Don't say you're an assassin or were trained to be an assassin in the city or public.
- Don't give your full name to people you don't trust. Give a false name, or only your first.
- Don't say you're an assassin or were trained to be an assassin in the city or public.
- Don't brag about your kill-count or how you would like to kill someone in public.
- Don't talk about your missions. Ever. Assassination makes you a tool, you are not supposed to think of the job after it's done.
- DON'T SAY YOU'RE AN ASSASSIN OR WERE TRAINED TO BE AN ASSASSIN IN THE CITY OR PUBLIC.
Edited by Lutherus on 2/17/2011 5:13 PM PST
85 Human Rogue
Yep, that's it! Hope this does help, folks. I only aim to help people make a believable character as an assassin. Remember, make comments of questions so I can hopefully answer them or add things to this list!

Edit:
Thank you for the positive feed-back! Perhaps with more comments and satisfied readers, I could try coming up with other guides for assassins. The assassin world is simply too vast to be explained in just one, so perhaps I could get into some detail to help people define a very cool character.

But I ramble.

Thank you for the support!

[[ In Addition: ]]

Don't just limit your class to the rogue for this. ANY class can be an assassin, it's just a matter of how you pull it off. As I said above, maybe I'll create future guides for character ideas involving other classes being an assassin.
Edited by Lutherus on 11/26/2010 2:23 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Mage
I like this guide. I actually think I learned a lot, I can tell you really gathered tips and wisdom from experienced assassin roleplayers.

I might use this for a rogue I've been leveling, though I'm not entirely sure he will be an assassin but most of the tips can still apply. Thanks and good job!
50 Human Warrior
*Claps* Very Good guide, I might use my hunter as some sort of an assassin.
"Assassin 101: You're also a wimp."

I love you.
83 Worgen Hunter
This is a great guide and I highly reccomend it to any future rogue, thug, or assassin RPers. Bravo sir. There isn't anything I found wrong with it either. /clap
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Thank you. I've picked up some more strategies for my rogue, even though I already had most of this down pat.

Though I do disagree with one thing: Hiding all of your weapons.

A lot of people walk around with weapons. Now, say my character, Avienha, who is a singer in a bar as her cover, who has honed her appearance through years of her own disconcerted work and lots of makeup...why shouldn't she carry around, say, a belt knife? To anyone who doesn't know her it could be a letter opener, or for self defense, and that's what she tells them. After all, a pretty woman walking around alone... Unfortunately we can't get around the metagamers who see your class and then "just know" what you are.

All in all, a very, very good guide.
85 Human Rogue
Thank you. I've picked up some more strategies for my rogue, even though I already had most of this down pat.

Though I do disagree with one thing: Hiding all of your weapons.

A lot of people walk around with weapons. Now, say my character, Avienha, who is a singer in a bar as her cover, who has honed her appearance through years of her own disconcerted work and lots of makeup...why shouldn't she carry around, say, a belt knife? To anyone who doesn't know her it could be a letter opener, or for self defense, and that's what she tells them. After all, a pretty woman walking around alone... Unfortunately we can't get around the metagamers who see your class and then "just know" what you are.

All in all, a very, very good guide.

See, that's what I said in the guide, Calmai. If you do choose to show your weapon, make it appear as if it's for something else. You already listed a good example of a knife being a letter opener.

Good point though that a weapon being shown for simple defense, but that's because you're a bard. Bards are travelers and can't always expected positive feed-back, so a knife seen on their waist isn't horribly shocking.

So yes depending on what profession you choose outside of assassination, your choice of job may allow you to freely carry around a weapon. Heck, guards could be assassins and it's hunky-dory if they walk around with a sword.

Thank you for the feed back, I'll be sure to add your idea to the guide!

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The DON'T of an Assassin: You're stupid.
- Don't play as an assassin if you're new to RP.
- Don't run around in your assassination gear in the city with big weapons.
- Don't talk about death every chance you get in the city.
- Don't play with knives in the city. Seriously.
- Don't give your full name to people you don't trust. Give a false name, or only your first.
- Don't brag about your kill-count or how you would like to kill someone in public.
- Don't talk about your missions. Ever. Assassination makes you a tool, you are not supposed to think of the job after it's done.
- DON'T SAY YOU'RE AN ASSASSIN OR WERE TRAINED TO BE AN ASSASSIN IN THE CITY OR PUBLIC.

Lolol, DON'T SAY YOU'RE AN ASSASSIN OR WERE TRAINED TO BE AN ASSASSIN IN THE FREAKIN' CITY!!
I love being an assassin. The fun part is the suprise in the /e when the char finds out two secs later their neck is gripped in my arm-lock.
It's fun, creative, sometimes stupid... And.. Yeah.
U R AWSUM JOO KAHN B A KLASZIK GUIDENSE FORUMISTTTTTTSSSS
Translation:
You are awesome! You can/could be a classic guidence forumist!
Like Dusk, except that was a horror Interactive RP forum. ^^ Still
85 Goblin Hunter
This was a fantastic thread! Kudos to you!
55 Human Death Knight
This guide is seriously awesome! You have covered everything I could possibly think of, and inspired me to make an assassin myself. Too often you see fools in Stormwind flicking knives, or holding blades up to people's throats and saying" Do you know how many people I've murdered? Well do ya, punk!?!?!" It drives me nuts, and now I can play an assassin and laugh in the faces of those wanna-bees.
86 Night Elf Death Knight
It's pretty good, but you make it sound like it is a MUST that this be followed. It's a good guideline to get started or keep yourself in line. But, to all those would be assassin's you can still be creative with your assassin, like how I am with Drake. He's shady, mysterious and an overall bad ass. But that's where he differs from your guide, he is not a coward and he's an expert in close-combat.

However, he does not prance around telling everyone that he's an assassin, he makes himself look like an adventurer and is generally not despised by the guards because well... the guards have no idea who he is. Now I'm sure alot of people may have qualms with this but that's just how I roll.
80 Night Elf Priest
[A] <Raven Moon Clan> is an RP-PvP assassins' guild recruiting on Lightninghoof! Check out our recruitment thread on the realm forums...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1195680566#1
85 Troll Hunter
Damn, Faerune. Calm down on the recruitment posts, will you? :P
29 Goblin Rogue
Nicely done, sir. Well-written, funny, and chock full of the kind of common sense that ain't so common. :P
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]