Is Murderous Intent a DPS increase?

85 Night Elf Rogue
Don't get me wrong, I like the talent. Swapping to another ability isnt as lame as I thought it would be. It just feels lame now since things die so fast the 20% window doesn't even exist.

But is it actually an increase? Yes I get it, 30 energy backstabs are cool. Almost half the cost of a mutilate and I believe they hit almost as hard.

Problem is when I reach the backstab phase I begin doing FAR less envenoms. My envenoms hit for 13k on the target dummy. Much much more than that in raids. So it the lower combo point generation from backstab coupled with the RNG of Relentless Strikes sometimes bringing you down to 5 energy and thus having to wait 6 seconds for the next backstab worth it?

I saw a rogue from a high end raiding guild on my server pulling 4k more dps than me on the target dummy. I checked his spec and noticed he did not have Murderous Intent. I asked him why, since he obviously knew what he was doing (the DPS difference was from gear though. His GS was 6.3k almost)

He said the damage increase if any is not high enough to support having to move and react to positional changes in these hectic ICC fights. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, pretty sure sub rogues and feral druids use positional attacks just fine in PVE, and he's probably just bad.

Whether its a dps upgrade, I can't help you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
It's still a dps increase over just using mutilate but the gap was closed even further due to envenom properly scaling with our mastery.

Thing is, you can get rng'd and your combo point generation can turn to utter sh@t due to the lower cp gen of the ability(backstab).
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
My DPS spikes by 2000 or so on the backstab phase. The only fight I can think of where you couldnt use this talent is Kologarn in Ulduar. lol It is most certainly worth it. And, you should never NOT be behind a boss anyway, so the positional requirement isnt really very strenuous. Since Rupture is always kept up, I never have to wait 6 seconds to do anything due to the energy returns.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
It's a huge dps increase.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Energy capping like crazy under 35%, its pretty frantic trying to waste it all.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
It's 35%, and yeah, it's a pretty large DPS increase.

Tell that 6.3k GS (lol?) rogue that he's bad.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Apparently that rogue you talked to uses his spell book for backstab, because it is not hard to switch between mutilate and backstab attacks depending on the direction of the boss.
Reply Quote
It's still a dps increase over just using mutilate but the gap was closed even further due to envenom properly scaling with our mastery.

Thing is, you can get rng'd and your combo point generation can turn to utter sh@t due to the lower cp gen of the ability(backstab).

Puncturing Wounds helps mitigate this, but Backstab should give 2 cps for Assassination.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]