yogg-saron now ridiculous?

This really does need to be fixed.

hear, hear! i don't think it was intentional either. what i'm thinking is that it was a residual effect of a different change made to something for future instances, as i mentioned above. it seems likely, as a lot of the bugs that are currently affecting players in this iteration of the game are similar in origin.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
The bugs are very manageable. If you kill constrictor tentacles quickly it's no concern at all.
Reply Quote
The bugs are very manageable. If you kill constrictor tentacles quickly it's no concern at all.

says the player who completed the achievement we just started working on over a year ago... and you think this comment is constructive because?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Also, void zones on KT are bugged, and they are tiny and virtually impossible to see under your player model.

Yay for unnecessary and unannounced changes?

All flaming, trolling, and unnecessary categorization aside, I'm thinking a lot of background changes were made in this latest patch, in preparation for Cataclysm. As a side effect, a lot of things seem to have broken...

This week and last week, I was a part of a raid working on Algalon 10-man.
Last week, I had only a few problems seeing where the Cosmic Smash was going to land (little red spinning void zone, just like on KT). Only occasionally did legitimate graphical errors cause the effect to be harder-than-normal to see.
This week, they were flat out invisible 50% of the time, at least. Of the ones that WERE actually visible, I would only catch glimpses of red as I moved or set my camera to a particular angle. Or i would only see a split second of the graphic's placement effect, and then it would vanish. Ironically, sometimes I'd only see it AFTER it had exploded.

Nothing has changed on my end between now and then in terms of settings, addons, drivers, ANYTHING. It got to the point where we had to tell all the members of the raid to move to an unoccupied spot, rather than worrying about looking for it.

After reviewing the Frapses i took, there was at least one that was entirely invisible under my feet until AFTER I moved, at which point I only caught a glimpse of red. Had I not bothered moving, I'd have been dead with absolutely no visual warning.
Raid members were all reporting the same thing - very sporadic visibility.
Edited by Naerina on 11/28/2010 11:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

Actually from what I saw, the falling damage can be up around 30k which was one shotting our clothies. Our best try on this boss (1 light) was when we had mostly higher health players get constricted. Even healers in constrictors reported mixed results when trying to heal themselves. Losing a healer to these really sucks.

I'm not gonna say we failed only because of constrictors, but it was an added obstacle that made the fight a lot harder than it should have been.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
If someone is left in a constrictor tentacle for about two seconds they will come out out at about 30-35% health from a combination of squeeze and fall damage. The only difference to the encounter is they have a higher priority now. They have very little health and can die in two or three globals if swapped to properly.

Also, fall damage has absolutely nothing to do with your effective health. It'll kill a tank as fast as it kills a naked level one. Add on top of that a competent healer the person can be healed before they hit the ground and the fight hasn't changed one bit.
Edited by Nadrii on 11/29/2010 4:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If someone is left in a constrictor tentacle for about two seconds they will come out out at about 30-35% health from a combination of squeeze and fall damage. The only difference to the encounter is they have a higher priority now. They have very little health and can die in two or three globals if swapped to properly.

Also, fall damage has absolutely nothing to do with your effective health. It'll kill a tank as fast as it kills a naked level one. Add on top of that a competent healer the person can be healed before they hit the ground and the fight hasn't changed one bit.

the fall damage is not always the same, and the person being thrown would be out of LOS until they hit the ground.

go in as a healer before you make comments like this. your addition to this thread is not helping.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I healed it last night on an alt. You can keep squeezed people alive just fine.
Reply Quote

which is quite a nuisance for a team that is new to the fight and trying to learn to deal with this bug on top of all the other things going on in phase 2 outside. you make it sound like it's the easiest thing in the world. ;-P

Also, fall damage has absolutely nothing to do with your effective health. It'll kill a tank as fast as it kills a naked level one.

not true. fall damage is a percentage of your total hp based on how far you fall. how far you fall is based upon what part of the animation the constrictor was in when it was destroyed. it's not a flat percentage, it varies. anyway, if you've got a tank in there, they will take considerably less damage as a percentage of their total health from constriction, thus leaving them less at risk for dying from fall damage.

so in short, you're just wrong on this count.

Add on top of that a competent healer the person can be healed before they hit the ground and the fight hasn't changed one bit.

this is assuming, of course, that said competent healer is not feared as a result of malady or stunned/interrupted as a result of the plague during the 1-2 seconds in which the individual is flying through the air toward the ground. so yeah, assuming all of that happens, it's totally manageable. ;-P

seriously, though... you're defending a bug against human beings that are playing a game for what reason exactly? so you can feel superior or something? we don't care how leet you are, dude. obviously you're better than us because you can beat the encounter. good for you. this is not the thread to brag about your accomplishments.

we're discussing the bug and, if you want to be productive, ways around it. not why we're so bad because we think it's a big deal.
Reply Quote
the fall damage is not always the same, and the person being thrown would be out of LOS until they hit the ground.

nice to see you, matt. ;-D while it's true that the fall damage is not consistent, the person being thrown actually was able to be healed as soon as the constrictor was destroyed. it's just a matter of getting a sufficient heal off in time before the person takes that fall damage to make sure they survive it. not so easy.

as far as i can tell, having a disc priest healing is probably the best way around this bug at the moment. between levitate and shields, i think it'd be more manageable. but yeah... the purpose of the thread was just to see if there were other people having the same problems and to bring potential attention to the bug to make sure it gets fixed.
Reply Quote
I'm guessing the bugs have to do with them reusing the same tentacles in the new zones such as southern barrens. They mucked with the code for the new areas and it's now affecting yogg too. So thanks again dev team, gg.

ahh, that makes sense. thanks for the info, man. i appreciate it. haven't been to southern barrens yet, so i haven't seen the tentacles there.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
The point I was making was there is a way around it - heal them in the air. If you're going to assume your healer is stunned because no one in your raid is capable, whether by class or mental restrictions, of dispelling then that's a different issue.

No one is calling you bad, although I guess I could go that route. I'm explaining how this bug does not make the encounter "ridiculous".
Reply Quote
it was certainly pretty ridiculous for our group. maybe we just got bad luck for an hour straight? anyway, both healers have posted in this thread. i've stated already in the thread that we only had one party member able to cleanse disease [thanks, blizzard] which is the biggest of the potential issues. not to mention malady, which is another potential victory for the random number generator.

i don't know what it would take for you to classify something as ridiculous, but offering the solution of sitting there spamming healing surge on the constricted target in hopes that one would hit him in the air [which i assure you, i did] doesn't seem like as reasonable of a solution as you're making it out to be. that's all i'm saying.

though i will say that i do appreciate the civil tone you're taking now, but your earlier comments seemed to be lacking and unproductive.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Ridiculous is something literally impossible. Anything that can be overcome with good play should be done and without complaint. Maybe I'm too strict but I enjoy buggy challenges - do you recall ignis on release day?

If your raid just stays grouped together and swaps instantly you should be fine!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I have no idea what this fight used to be like because I've done it twice ever. Last week we did 1 light for someone who needed the meta. This week we went back and one-shot no lights. It's easy because everyone significantly outgears the content. We got the speed kill and insanity achieves as well. So, I wouldn't describe it as ridiculous, unless you mean ridiculously easy.
Reply Quote
31 Human Warlock
Had similar problem last night. We healed with one disc priest and one resto druid (me). Of a few times I got grabbed by tentacles, I could toss a heal or two, sometimes, but other times, I simply couldn't. And many times I took so much damage from falling and died. When the priest got grabbed, I tried to heal, but she was los and was a 100% death guaranteed.

We had very amazing luck with tentacles preferring to grab healers first thing and we were the first 2 to get killed in phase 2 most of times.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's been said 1,000,000 times.

Don't complain about things being "too hard."

And Blizz... Do NOT lower the game to me, make me raise my level of play to the game.

Nerf's are for losers and entitled babies
Reply Quote
Ridiculous is something literally impossible. Anything that can be overcome with good play should be done and without complaint. Maybe I'm too strict but I enjoy buggy challenges - do you recall ignis on release day?

well then, we simply have a different definition of ridiculous. in no way did i claim that it was impossible. ;-P there's a difference between enjoying early bugs and figuring them out... and just wanting to be done with an achievement that should not be this complicated. trust me, i'm not the kind of person that complains because 'it's too hard' or anything, i raided aq/naxx40 back in the day and it was pretty difficult. i enjoy the difficulty of ulduar. what i don't enjoy is a bug that makes things unnecessarily complicated 2 weeks before a patch during which everyone is going to totally lose interest in finishing the content while it's at least level appropriate.

If your raid just stays grouped together and swaps instantly you should be fine!

once again, i thank you for being one of the few people in this thread that is actually being helpful. if it's still bugged this weekend, that's probably what we'll do. if we had more than an hour to work on the boss this week, i'm pretty confident that we would've finished it. i'm just frustrated and would rather not have to rely on getting lucky and/or working extra hard [not just me, but everyone else, including less motivated players on our team] just to compensate for last minute bugs. that's all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]