The DPS race

85 Orc Warlock
I've seen raids wait and wait and wait until they can find a Boomkin to fill the last ranged dps spot in alot of raids. I didn't think they could pull THAT much dps, but I was surprised when they did their job fairly well. My question is, since I'm leveling a druid atm, can a skilled Boomkin out-dps a lock in the same gear while providing better raid buffs?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I'm inclined to think they can, I grouped with a boomkin a couple days ago and he easily out dps'd my hunter and he was our designated healer as well. The group was none too happy about it either, but I was still reeling from the nerf and unsure of some of my moves. I did them all a favor and left the group, a courtesy on my part as I was dragging them down.

Can't comment on the mechanics because I've never leveled a druid, I'm not a fan of hybrids.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Maybe.
Who cares? A week from now we'll all be racing to 85, and then we'll have a whole another bunch of bull to deal with!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I could have swore that blizzard said that a hybrid class shouldn't be able to out dps an equvilant geared pure dps class....

But you can't account for player skill. And I know some amazing boomkins.
Edited by Sylorel on 11/30/2010 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I could have swore that blizzard said that a hybrid class shouldn't be able to out dps an equvilant geared pure dps class....

Frankly that is the problem in raiding. There is no multiple role hybrid tax or single role bonus. Back in the old days of Dungeons and Dragons they dealt with classes like this by making their experience requirements twice that of the basic magic user.

Bitter?

Yes.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I've always thought hybrid classes should be penalized for that added flexibility, and the fact that I see hunters/locks/etc getting outdps'd by boomkins and sometimes ret pallies?... that's just wrong.

Especially now with dual-spec, though it's not technically new, it added a huge utility to all hybrid classes, essentially able to fulfill one of two of their potential roles at any given time. The fact that this was not a factor in the balancing come Cata is deeply troubling to me.

"Bring the player, not the class" is bull, players shouldn't pick the class they play based on their mood when they create the character. They pick a warrior to fulfill a certain role, and a priest to fulfill another. Tampering with that is a road that I think will turn WoW into a nauseatingly carebear blob of shiny lights, where everyone pulls 150k dps and stays at a million hit points forever, instead of what was once such a fantastic game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
ranged raid composition....

Warlock ..... healthstones, summoning portals and soulstones.
Boomkin.... +crit
mage ...... biscuits and a ride home when it's over.
hunter..... MD so idiots that can't watch omen don't die.

does anyone really care about DPS at this point?
with the new stats all around, everyone is going to take turns feeling inadequate for a while.

size doesn't matter until your 85..
Edited by Metastable on 11/30/2010 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
There is NO SHORTAGE or rogues. If you were a rogue and you were out dps'd by a warrior or a ret paladin, or DK you would be slowly pushed out of the raid. People would IMMEDIATELY say they were carrying you.

Ahh, one of our DK's has to go. Dang, wish we took the other DK, or the warrior. Equal DPS AND if we needed another tank they could just switch spec!

Don't tell me you have not heard that conversation. I would be very close to accusing you of lying, if you did.

Now I have to give props to Metastable!
Size does Not Matter until Lvl 85

He is right, but I hope things scale in a way that balance is restored properly.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
ATM possibly yes, at 85 My money would be on a solid no, they will be behind. Why you ask? the new spells that have yet to be implemented and this is why. As a pure dps class the 3 spells are aimed at pure and utter damage each of these 3 spells will significantly increase a warlocks damage output. Where as as a hybrid class the spells that will be unlocked at 85 are a mix and therfore once a warlock is running around in its pure and absolute glory you wont stand a chance of keeping up in equal gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock

Frankly that is the problem in raiding. There is no multiple role hybrid tax or single role bonus. Back in the old days of Dungeons and Dragons they dealt with classes like this by making their experience requirements twice that of the basic magic user.

Bitter?

Yes.

Damage is a combination of gear, skill, and current class balance (+5% to pures on a good day).

You are upset that someone in equal gear who can play a lot better than you can out dps you? At what point do you say, maybe the problem is me, and I need to get better, rather than blaming class balance?

A well played anything should smoke an average something else, given equal gear and a balanced fight. You cant go around nerfing hybrids just because the best hybrids can out dps the average pures. dont like it? stop being so average.
Edited by Angelscream on 12/1/2010 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]