grind dungeons ?

hey everybody, hope you had a good thanks, but what does this mean? ive been playing about a month i love it but still have a lot to learn.my nephew had to tell me how to get to ironforge("dude its right there !") also im a frost mage and someone said its possible to put together a 'bad build'? i assume theyre talking about where i put my talent points or whatever you call them. id appreciate any thoughts or help.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Now a days with the talent trees being reworked it is pretty hard to put up a bad build. However in my opinion when selecting talents stick with the ones that will enhance your dps and not survivability. Most of the you will "take less damage" talents are pvp based talents and a waste for leveling.

As far as grind dungeons go, I doubt you will find many dungeon groups this late in an expansion. A couple more weeks with the new expansion and people leveling new characters you should have a better chance at grinding dungeons.

My experience with dungeon leveling is, when you have rest experience and a good group then dungeon experience is good. However Blizzard has done a really good job with quests and experience so that it is a majority of the time better to get motoring on the quests.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest

As far as grind dungeons go, I doubt you will find many dungeon groups this late in an expansion. A couple more weeks with the new expansion and people leveling new characters you should have a better chance at grinding dungeons.

He's level 34 - a lot of people are leveling alts, and even (shocking, I know) new to the game and levelling their main.

'grinding dungeons' just refers to running dungeons over and over and over.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage

He's level 34 - a lot of people are leveling alts, and even (shocking, I know) new to the game and levelling their main.

'grinding dungeons' just refers to running dungeons over and over and over.

I happened to look at his level when I responded to the post and that is how I answered his post. I happened to come from a very high population server that is very unbalanced in the Alliances favor. So in my experience leveling 12 80's I rarely ever found random dungeons in that level range and not where you could grind it back to back to back.
Reply Quote
so grinding dungeons means to just do it over and over to level up? well thats cool but where are these dungeons? is a mine considered a dungeon? i do prefer questing to level up but can i get special loot in a dungeon? also leveling alts? leveling main? is this a reference to your main character and an alternate? i have only one,should i start another? and why? thank you all very much for your patience.
and what the heck is this 'whisper' stuff?
Edited by Muffalita on 11/30/2010 9:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
On your action bar there is a button for Dungeon finder, you can open that and select a specific dungeon or choose random, which at low level will also reward you an additional loot bag upon completion. you choose what role you will perform, damage healer, tank then it places you in a que. After a bit when the game finds players to fill the 5 spots needed you will receive a pop up window askign if you want to enter the dungeon, click yes and you will be teleported there. An alternative would be to just get together with friends and choose one to run, ah the days before lfd tool. =)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
"Grinding" means doing the same thing multiple times, in older MMOs you couldn't level just by questing, you'd find a spot, form a group, and 'grind' by killing the same mobs (monsters) over and over again. Dungeons are all over the world, the easiest way to run them is to use the dungeon finder button to queue up for one, as it will assemble a group for you then teleport you into the dungeon. Dungeons generally have better loot as drops and quest rewards than soloable stuff. Typically as a DPS character the queues are 10-30 minutes to get into a dungeon, you can queue up and continue playing like usual until you get a pop-up telling you the group is ready.

Go to the main worldofwarcraft.com page, click on 'game guide' on the left, then on 'dungeons' to get an overview of what dungeons are available.

Alts are 'alternate' characters, 'main' is your primary character. Not everyone really has a 'main', it depends on exactly what you do. It's fine to play just one character, people roll alts for variety and to get multiple trade skills, the 'why' is 'if you enjoy it'. Because a new expansion is coming out and Blizzard has just changed the low level questing areas, lots of other people are leveling alternate characters to experience different content, because they don't really have any meaningful progression to make on their main, to get other characters to 80 to level through the new stuff, or for other reasons.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest

I happened to look at his level when I responded to the post and that is how I answered his post. I happened to come from a very high population server that is very unbalanced in the Alliances favor. So in my experience leveling 12 80's I rarely ever found random dungeons in that level range and not where you could grind it back to back to back.

I've had no problem getting into randoms as I've leveled this toon. In your opinion, would RFD not count as 'grinding'?
Reply Quote
so grinding dungeons means to just do it over and over to level up? well thats cool but where are these dungeons? is a mine considered a dungeon? i do prefer questing to level up but can i get special loot in a dungeon?

In WoW, a "dungeon" is a special area where the enemies (mobs) are themed and more difficult, and you generally don't want to enter one alone if it's at your level. The entrance to a dungeon is a big swirly portal, and when you pass through the portal, a unique instance of that dungeon is spawned just for you and any group members -- many people use the terms "dungeon" and "instance" interchangeably for this reason. When you're in there, it's just you and your group, but no other players.

If you go to Stormwind and find the Fishing trainer, just west of them across the canal is the entrance to the Stockades. Nearby is a tall meeting stone, which will be your cue that there's a dungeon nearby. If you enter that building and go down some stairs, you'll see the portal, and if you go through the portal you'll find yourself inside the Stockades.

You'll be safe just standing at the entrance near the other friendly NPCs. From there you can see that the enemies are "elites," which means when you click on them, there's a gold dragon around their portrait and they'll be much tougher than other mobs at that level. They're usually in small groups too, so if you try to fight one, you'll fight his friends as well. And as you advance through the dungeon, you'll encounter a few "bosses" at the end of each section, which are mobs that are even more difficult and tend to drop special loot.

The Dungeon Finder places you just inside the dungeon's entrance with four other people. The tank holds the attention of the mobs, the three DPS try to kill them, and the healer keeps everyone alive, especially the tank. Ideally you want to work together and know how your class is played in a group rather than just by yourself -- sometimes things you do while questing shouldn't be done in a group situation.

And you can go through dungeons just fine right now. Most of the new expansion changes were implemented last week, so there's already a LOT of low level toons experiencing the new quests and changes to zones and dungeons.
Reply Quote
also leveling alts? leveling main? is this a reference to your main character and an alternate? i have only one,should i start another? and why? thank you all very much for your patience.
and what the heck is this 'whisper' stuff?

Your "main" is generally the toon you play the most, and "alts" are toons you've made for other reasons. As mentioned, some people don't have a main, but it's common to have a character you prefer more than the others. Some people like to try out different classes and races, or have a few toons that do different professions or simply hold onto extra gold and items. You can have up to 10 characters on a server, and 50 total across multiple servers, so if you feel like making another character, go for it.

A "whisper" is when someone speaks directly to you within the game, so that nobody else can hear. It appears as pink text. Generally it's another player nearby, and you can reply by hitting the "R" key if you want to speak with them (or if they're being an idiot, right-click on their name and click "ignore" to never hear from them again).

The whispers to watch out for are ones trying to sell gold or items, and the ones impersonating a Blizzard employee, saying that you're in trouble for something or you can get a special offer. Those are really just scammers, so right-click the name and report them -- Blizzard rarely contacts players individually, and when they do it's VERY obvious that they aren't just another player.
Reply Quote
thanks jakjak and everyone
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]