Low level Druid Healing.

81 Undead Warrior
So i started a Troll Druid just after the Shattering on my second account so as to remove temptation for BoA, and have been having a ton of Mana problems while healing.

Rejuvenation, Regrowth and Healing Touch are close to each other on cost, and we dont get Nourish (Our cheap 'AutoAttack' Heal) until 78, Whereas Priests, Paladins and Shaman all get theirs rather early on by comparison.

So my issue is that i only have my 3 biggest heals to choose from, and that makes it virtually impossible to heal all 5 members of my group without nearly going OOM in the process. Case in point was SFK. Was wearing all quest greens/blues, had about 2k Mana, and each heal cost me about 200 mana. First boss nearly wiped us thanks to Asphyxiate, lost the Tank twice and was OOM for most of the fight. Only downed him thanks to a Demo Warlocks Voidwalker.
SFK isn't the only dungeon I had Mana issues, i have to drink after every second trash pull, while other Healers (While im DPSing) only seem to drink before/after a boss.
Am i the only one having this issue, or do i just suck at low level Mana?

Why is Nourish at 78? Shouldn't we get it MUCH earlier? Even if the 20% boost for HoTs only comes into effect at that level, it would alleviate *my* Mana issues.
Reply Quote
I've had similar issues with mana at low levels. Coming from shaman healing where it's mostly reactive and direct heals, I found myself over HoTting everyone. Obviously you don't have all your spells (Swiftmend is great), but I was given this advice:

Use Regrowth and Rejuv on the tank (saving the big heal for when you really need it), and dps shouldn't need anything more than Rejuv now and then unless they're trying to pull aggro (or not thinking). And if they're being silly, then maybe they SHOULD die.

With the HoTs, I found it difficult to wait. Now I've learned not to keep everyone topped off because it just becomes a mana dump and the heals end up getting wasted anyway.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I wondered if this would be an issue when I saw that Nourish wasn't available until 78. Here's what I recommend: let the tank take a few hits and then Rejuv him once you're confident the ticks won't over-heal. Use Swiftmend as your primary heal. If/when that's not enough, use Healing Touch, but you don't want to be topping him up with that. Wait until he's taken enough damage that it won't be overheal (actually you want to anticipate that he'll have taken enough damage by the time the spell completes). Only use Regrowth if you're not sure your target will be alive long enough for a Healing Touch to complete as it's our most inefficient heal by a fair margin.

There are also a number of communication tactics you can use to help minimize damage to your group. If your DPS are taking lots of damage, suggest that they give the tank a moment to pick up the mobs, or suggest to the tank that he mark targets. Watch what the mobs are doing and if they're using heals, AoE, etc., ask the tank or a DPS to interrupt. A Rejuv here and there should be sufficient to handle the incidental damage DPS will be taking (barring certain boss mechanics, which you'll just have to deal with =/). Don't worry about keeping them at 100%. Ultimately, if you feel you're in danger of running oom before the mobs are dead, you may have to let a DPS die.

I rolled a tank alt to play around after the Shattering, and I've been watching my healers' mana like a hawk. I have yet to get a Druid or Pally healer (they're not among the new race/class combos Alliance side). Shaman seem to use their mana, but still don't have to stop too often. Disc Priests' mana (60-70% of the healers I've drawn have been Disc Priests) barely moves except on bosses, and even then they seem to have a very comfortable margin.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
This is the exact point of Cata healing mechanics. "Triage." Pick your patient wisely. Let the DPS use bandages or food, and / or use them yourself. Save your mana for yourself and then the tank, in that order.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
@Toccata: Regrowth is a total waste at that level, and thats the problem, the regrowth is our "big" spell mana wise. Healing Touch spam is the best way to heal which causes so much overheal it makes me sick, and it isn't the way druids are meant to be played.

@Nestarielle: At the low levels (15-60) every heal we have (with the exception of swiftmend, which, by extension is the other spells as well) costs sooo much mana.

OT: I agree entirely, there is not a single reason for our heals to cost that much mana without omen proccing more and being usable on instants at low-levels.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
On trash the only one you usually need to heal would be the tank, just because the dps may take a little damage doesn't always warrant a heal, make your mana count. With proper awareness the dps should take little to no damage on trash. As on the bosses asphyxiate, the tank should be your main priority after it is cast, as the dps should not be taking much if any damage after its cast, get the tank up, then worry about the dps. The new dungeons are designed to be taxing on mana to try and teach beginners to prioritize their heals in preparation for the encounters that are ahead. This is just my advice, and there may be a more efficient way of healing those encounters, but hopefully it will be useful to you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Its still terrible design, the only healer without the efficient heal really sux. HT is just over kill unless they are half health or less. Really wish they would put nourish in at a much lower level if they are gonna stick with the rather terrible redo for druid heals. I have played a bunch on every healer at lower levels (twinks and former twinks in various brackets) in many instances, and most all were very well balanced heal wise. The druid tho is just plain terrible even at 47. Group damage and you go oom or they day, period. Their needs to be a weaker but cheap heal like every other class gets so i dont have to super over heal for tons of mana every time i wanna heal someone. Or wait til they are near dead so i dont waste the heal. Its just bad design atm, playable yes, fun or well designed, not at all.
Edited by Natashablade on 11/30/2010 9:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
@Natashablade: Agree entirely. They should switch HT and Nourish IMO. HT is overkill but compared to everything but rejuv it costs less mana. So just let people get to 50% and toss a HT their way. Its the only way I can do boss fights without going oom.

@Druidwolf: Its terrible design to show new players that they are going to be OOM constantly if they do anything! (I can attest to this as my girlfriend is leveling a druid and tried resto, despite her willingness to learn everything possible, she cannot understand why she is just going OOM every single pull, obviously her experiences are much more valid as I have a druid in full BoA gear and have way more experience than her.)

OT: on the SFK fight, blanket everyone with Rejuv, swiftmend the tank, and /lol at all the dps. No really. Wait until you have enough mana to do anything again, thats how to fight is for druids now.
Edited by Claytybob on 12/1/2010 12:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I started this alt about a week ago now, and for the most part have been leveling exclusively through LFD as resto. I experienced the mana regeneration issues that have been mentioned until I specced resto (if you wanna make your life easy do it!), since then I finish almost every fight 80%+ mana.

I use an almost identical set of rules to what Nestarielle mentioned.
-Rejuv on tank once I'm sure it won't be over-healing.
-Rejuv on DPS who drop between 60-70% health, assuming they haven't pulled aggro on a particularly tough mob (if so I'll time a HT to top em off while the tank regains threat)
-I'll start casting a HT when I think the tank will be evenly healed by it, and if they have more health than anticipated (through HoTs, or self heals which are common), I'll cancel the HT before it casts.
-I use regrowth almost never, only when I need a quick heal, often coupled with a swift-mend.
-Swift-mend as it needed and available.

Or maybe I'm the anomaly?
Hope it helps.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Edited by Bätmän on 12/1/2010 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Edited by Bätmän on 12/1/2010 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
/Growl
New forums bugs, says it failed to post... then posts 4 times.
We need this -> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1127487420
Edited by Bätmän on 12/1/2010 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
@Batman: Your definately an anomoly, SFK was proly the hardest (and best) dungeon to heal <70. I have full BoA on my druid and still run into rediculous mana problems in places like Mauradon where thorns causes the entire melee group to be like "LOOL HEALER? U SUX! HEALZ UZ!" when I ask why they were standing in the poision it's cause "LOOOL U BAD. STUFF ON FLOOR GUD, LOL."

Remember, the people who post on these forms are proly more experienced and more skilled (only by extension) than the people who aren't posting, so if someone like me is having problems, someone like my girlfriend, who I referenced earlier, is going to have a horrible time trying to get anything done as resto. At the moment it seems as the best leveling spec for someone who has never played the game before is definately feral, as it doesn't have a complicated resource (at least at a noob's pov) and you can kill things without taking THAT much damage. Oh and you 2 shot things.
Edited by Claytybob on 12/1/2010 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I rolled a tank alt to play around after the Shattering, and I've been watching my healers' mana like a hawk. I have yet to get a Druid or Pally healer (they're not among the new race/class combos Alliance side). Shaman seem to use their mana, but still don't have to stop too often. Disc Priests' mana (60-70% of the healers I've drawn have been Disc Priests) barely moves except on bosses, and even then they seem to have a very comfortable margin.

So I had a Druid healer for the first time last night in Dire Maul West (what are they calling it now? Capital Gardens or something?). She only had 1800 mana, so I was a little worried, especially since I was still wearing Mail, having recently dinged 40. But she kept me up fine, although I admit it felt a little scary to see my health dip low after getting used to all thse Disc Priests and Shammys lately. Anyway, the bosses in DM West hit hard, and she went oom pretty frequently, but always kept me up. After Immol'thar she says "Oh crap, I've been wearing my Feral Gear this whole time," and her mana magically doubled. =P So yeah, low level Druid healing may not be optimal, but if she can heal a squishy tank through the hardest hitting bosses I've seen in an instance yet with half mana (and commensurately reduced spell power), it's definitely doable. And props to Beroq if you're reading this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Eh I remember leveling up as well and then finally getting nourish and went omg this one spell just completed the druid package so well that why did we have to wait so long for it. I remember where some boss fights the dps would all go spam AoE on adds before a tank could pick it up, normally pre WotLK it would have been a wipe, though now its all the healers job to make up for players incompetence/arrogance. Though with the long cast time on nourish now, you will probably still end up using regrowth in pre cata environments.

Something I hate about healing some hard modes now, only solution to control most of the damage before someone gets two shotted in some fights is to spam regrowth. Cata will be interesting where there is time for a single hot to do the job before another blow comes in, though who knows about heroic modes, hopefully players die more due to their own mistakes than of a healers ability to overcome them, which is what healers had to do a lot of in WotLK.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I hadn't realized until yesterday that low level Druid tanking is absolutely awful now as well. No AoE ability at all until 36, no good AoE ability until 81, no defensive cool downs till 49, no spammable tanking abilty till 65.

One of Blizzard's stated goals for Cataclysm was to improve the 1-60 leveling experience. They have failed miserably for Bear and Resto specs. Can a lowbie Druid tank or heal low level instances? Sure. Is it far, far more painful for them (and their groups) than for any other tanking or healing spec? Yes, by miles.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Toccata, I disagree with you, on the healing aspect. Do I need to watch my mana more carefully after 4.03a. Sure, is it game breakingly bad? Nope, not at all.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I started this alt about a week ago now, and for the most part have been leveling exclusively through LFD as resto. I experienced the mana regeneration issues that have been mentioned until I specced resto (if you wanna make your life easy do it!), since then I finish almost every fight 80%+ mana.
. . .
Or maybe I'm the anomaly?

I have very little trouble with mana. I throw small HOTs at any little scratch, and layer them when the damage doesn't vanish.

Personally, at 80, I always start with wild growth, which was a great help, but even a rejuv makes a dent in the damage taken. My general strategy is mitigate, mitigate, patch, overwhelm; if rejuv (and lifebloom -- stacked if possible -- and wild growth, but you get the idea) isn't working, I throw a regrowth. If HOTS are still losing ground, it's time to start cooking a bigger heal. The HOTS give you time to think (or you're screwed anyway), and let you get the big heals in before the target keels over. If he starts to recover, you can always abort and switch back to regrowth.

You just have to work out a rotation that works for you. It also helps to spec and gear, and don't hesitate to use innervate on yourself every time it procs if you need it.
Reply Quote
I'm leveling a druid because eventually I would like to have level 85 characters from all of the healing classes. My druid is now level 33 so I'm getting there. My druid's main spec is balance. I didn't add a resto spec until I hit level 30. Duel spec is only 10G! I think that balance may be the best choice for leveling a druid.

I have had only one run as a healer. More trouble keeping up with the party as a couple of times they ran ahead while I was topping off my manna and got killed running after them.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
First boss nearly wiped us thanks to Asphyxiate,

I'm sorry, but the first boss is really, really easy and this for me calls into question your mastery with the druid class.

The last boss, however...

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]