Tempted to give up healing, omg.

85 Undead Priest
I just gotta say --

- with arrogant tanks who like to pull the room and blame the healer .. maybe a good 30-50% of tanks are arrogant, but at least most of them can do the job :)

- when a tank thinks he can play while high and barely stay awake or take smoke breaks every 5mins or so for 15 mins at a time (no joke, happened last night)

- just ungrateful people around .. heck, I just got kicked from a group because I was saying to be cautious entering a room with difficult pulls, since the tank was new, and actually had less HP than me .. a 72 bear tank with 12k hp? shoudl be like 17-19k!

- DPS can go nuts and get into trouble, but thats the nature of DPS in Wrath, so I don't mind it so long as they're not asses; but some of them who go out of their way to annoy the tank and cause healing issues

----- but mostly, it seemed friendlier at lower levels, but as this alt gets higher up, it just seems like more and more of the job is a drag due to asshat tanks and DPS or groups. Why are we getting grief, doing a more or less thankless job, chasing tanks around who run way ahead of us while we rez people? (sure, they want their rage kept up, and to get some threat before idiot dps do, but still... dont' jump 5 mobs if we're 100 ft away..)

IS this just bad luck with the ramp up to Cata, or is it really, in a PUG a truly dreadful thankless job?

Welt
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Pugs are always asking for trouble, stick at healing but join a guild when you hit 85 :p
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Pugs are always asking for trouble, stick at healing but join a guild when you hit 85 :p

Only if you level outside instances till 85. Pugging up to 85 will be a nightmare. :S
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Try and stick it out. Asshats and idiots will be around no matter what role you're playing. Healers need a tough skin. See how it is at 85 before you give up. :)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I think perhaps I'm burnt out of all the healing and asshats.

*takes a break for a few days*

Probably can't get from 73 to 80 before Tuesday, so why push when I'm annoyed? :)

Welt
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I've considered giving up healing on my priest, but if the Tank causes a problem then worry ONLY about yourself or the people that stay around you....
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Paladin

Probably can't get from 73 to 80 before Tuesday, so why push when I'm annoyed? :)

Totally do-able.

Probably best to grab a dps spec and run some quests if you're burnt on dungeon group idiots.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
i think before someone makes a tank, they need to level a healer. so that they KNOW how it is. i have a prot/holy pally and i leveled as prot, but before i ever even had the thought of making a tank, i already had 2 maxed level healers. i really think knowing how a healer works can make you a better tank.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Generally if you're new to the game leveling a healer is a good way to start. You dont' have as much ADD as DPS and you have to pay attention to the fight so it's a good mix of the two. Moving to DPS or Tanking from there is easier because you know the fights a bit already and you'll have a healthy respect for the work of others.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
When you run into any of these situation, all you do is let the group pull, and tell them "heck guys, just pull the whole room! I've got this!" Then leave in the middle of the pull.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I think you should stick it out for a bit, at least wait until 85 to decide. Things look bad now, but those players that are making healing so bad for you are about to have to learn a lesson when things get harder and they don't get heals. It may take a few wipes up ahead, but eventually most of them will learn that they need to pay better attention and work more as a group.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Start pvping (you can level this way too) any sort of healer is <3'd in pug BG's.
Reply Quote
When I first hit Northrend I had a rough time. Tanks didn't have much health, mobs hit harder, and it seemed like healing was a lot harder than Outland instances. Once I got Northrend gear it got a lot better.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
i feel your pain. there are good tanks, and there are jerks. many pugs involve the tank running as if he's got an appointment in 5 minutes and wants to get in a quick random before he logs. those guys are the first to drop the group after a wipe they caused! well there's a million stories any healer could tell ya, but we stick with healing anyway.

bottom line is, go with what's fun for you. if you don't like healing, do something else...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Don't be afraid to tell the tank off. Unfortunately the DPS are more afraid of losing the tank than they are of losing you, so you'll probably get kicked, but at that point it's a good thing. Just requeue, you may find yourself in a nice group that will completely change your outlook.
Reply Quote
Solution: Find a good guild, only do runs with them or a partial guild run, and communicate (in a non-aggressive manner).
Reply Quote
Find a good tank, Make friends, Profit.

I have a lvl 72 priest friend i tank for in randoms. Benifits the both of us, i can trust him, and he me.

If you are a good enough healer, and you find a good enough tank in one random, ask him if he wants to Q again after. If he is continuing to Q, and you did a well enough job, i promise you they will prob stick with you untill you or they decide to do something else.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
a 72 bear tank with 12k hp? shoudl be like 17-19k!

I'd like to know how that's supposed to happen. I've got a 72 bear tank myself, she's wearing heirlooms, crafted wrath gear, and all lvl 70+ blues/greens, and she's only got 14.5K hp fully buffed.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Kylxia on 12/13/2010 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
i think before someone makes a tank, they need to level a healer. so that they KNOW how it is. i have a prot/holy pally and i leveled as prot, but before i ever even had the thought of making a tank, i already had 2 maxed level healers. i really think knowing how a healer works can make you a better tank.

My main spec is Holy (paladin) but my offspec is Protection. Whenever I run an instance as a tank, I *always* pop cooldowns when available, even on trivial boss fights.

Being a paladin healer, I know what it's like being responsible for the main tank...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]