Tempted to give up healing, omg.

85 Night Elf Druid
I guess I just got lucky.

I just finished leveling my priest from 61 to 80 in the last month. I did a LOT of instances during those levels with a friend who was leveling a mage with me.

For the most part, I really had VERY few problems doing PUG's. Occasionally I goit asshat tanks... occasionally asshat DPS - but largely, my experience was pretty pleasant.

In the last week and a half, I have been grinding out heroics on my priest (usually healing). Again, my PUG experience has largely been decent. There have been a few stinker groups... and I was even called the "worst healer ever" in one particularly crappy crop... but water off a ducks back I suppose.

I actually had a lot of fun leveling my priest from 61 to 80. He had been sitting dormant since the beginning of BC. lol I never thought he'd see play time again considering I didn't like my priest much at 60.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I just gotta say --

- with arrogant tanks who like to pull the room and blame the healer .. maybe a good 30-50% of tanks are arrogant, but at least most of them can do the job :)

- when a tank thinks he can play while high and barely stay awake or take smoke breaks every 5mins or so for 15 mins at a time (no joke, happened last night)

- just ungrateful people around .. heck, I just got kicked from a group because I was saying to be cautious entering a room with difficult pulls, since the tank was new, and actually had less HP than me .. a 72 bear tank with 12k hp? shoudl be like 17-19k!

- DPS can go nuts and get into trouble, but thats the nature of DPS in Wrath, so I don't mind it so long as they're not asses; but some of them who go out of their way to annoy the tank and cause healing issues

----- but mostly, it seemed friendlier at lower levels, but as this alt gets higher up, it just seems like more and more of the job is a drag due to asshat tanks and DPS or groups. Why are we getting grief, doing a more or less thankless job, chasing tanks around who run way ahead of us while we rez people? (sure, they want their rage kept up, and to get some threat before idiot dps do, but still... dont' jump 5 mobs if we're 100 ft away..)

IS this just bad luck with the ramp up to Cata, or is it really, in a PUG a truly dreadful thankless job?

Welt

Unfortunately my friend, changing the job just changes the woes :(

Just pick the job you think you like best and bear with the occasional bumps on the road.

- Moon Priestess Alessandra
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
i think before someone makes a tank, they need to level a healer. so that they KNOW how it is. i have a prot/holy pally and i leveled as prot, but before i ever even had the thought of making a tank, i already had 2 maxed level healers. i really think knowing how a healer works can make you a better tank.

I agree completely.

Also, the reverse is true as well. After leveling to 80 as Holy, I spent some time running PUGs as a Tank with my offspec, as well as running a 40ish Warrior as a Tank.

I found that understanding the challenges and frustrations of Tanking did help improve my healing. Keeping up with Tanks now feels more intuitive, and less reactionary.

The more healers and tanks understand each other, the better.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I just gotta say --

- with arrogant tanks who like to pull the room and blame the healer .. maybe a good 30-50% of tanks are arrogant, but at least most of them can do the job :)

- when a tank thinks he can play while high and barely stay awake or take smoke breaks every 5mins or so for 15 mins at a time (no joke, happened last night)

- just ungrateful people around .. heck, I just got kicked from a group because I was saying to be cautious entering a room with difficult pulls, since the tank was new, and actually had less HP than me .. a 72 bear tank with 12k hp? shoudl be like 17-19k!

- DPS can go nuts and get into trouble, but thats the nature of DPS in Wrath, so I don't mind it so long as they're not asses; but some of them who go out of their way to annoy the tank and cause healing issues

----- but mostly, it seemed friendlier at lower levels, but as this alt gets higher up, it just seems like more and more of the job is a drag due to asshat tanks and DPS or groups. Why are we getting grief, doing a more or less thankless job, chasing tanks around who run way ahead of us while we rez people? (sure, they want their rage kept up, and to get some threat before idiot dps do, but still... dont' jump 5 mobs if we're 100 ft away..)

IS this just bad luck with the ramp up to Cata, or is it really, in a PUG a truly dreadful thankless job?

Welcome to healing! I have one of each healing class, and yes, it's been like this since people began outgearing heroics in Wrath. It seems to come with the blow through mentality. Culture shock will hit in Cata, and hopefully, after a month or so, people will realize there is a new way of doing things.

My advice: Remember, if you get kicked, there's no deserter debuff (usually). So let them die, and enjoy watching it happen! No one wants a thankless job, but somebody's got to do it! You tell him Nathan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTTwfGopOeY
Edited by Eubring on 12/2/2010 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Warrior
i think before someone makes a tank, they need to level a healer. so that they KNOW how it is. i have a prot/holy pally and i leveled as prot, but before i ever even had the thought of making a tank, i already had 2 maxed level healers. i really think knowing how a healer works can make you a better tank.

I agree completely.

Also, the reverse is true as well. After leveling to 80 as Holy, I spent some time running PUGs as a Tank with my offspec, as well as running a 40ish Warrior as a Tank.

I found that understanding the challenges and frustrations of Tanking did help improve my healing. Keeping up with Tanks now feels more intuitive, and less reactionary.

The more healers and tanks understand each other, the better.

bravo to you both. tank/healer reporting in.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I'll create a thread that explains my name. But until then you gotta realize the healer is in control, not the tank, not the DPS. If you don't like the groups you find then you have the option to not heal them and leave group then wait 15 minutes until the debuff is gone.

Healing while leveling is not very fun because people are new to their role or are undergeared, this includes healing so don't worry about it until you reach cap level which will be 85 soon.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
There are morons in each class.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
12/06/2010 4:01 PMPosted by Ferrus
There are morons in each class.

When I go tank spec on my mage in Frost I usually go slow so healers can catch up, I just aggro 1 entire room at a time then when I go oom I have to drink with them and tell them, "Good Job heal dude!"
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Maybe I'm just an epic healer or maybe I have good luck finding pugs, i don't know, but I've had trouble with maybe 10% of the pugs i've ran with.

Here's how it works. Just like at work, 2 or 3 guys work really hard and the other 7 or 8 work just hard enough to keep their job.

Same thing goes for a pug raid.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I am an arrogant tank, but i also have a level 80 arrogant healer. I am an equal opportunity DPS hater.
Reply Quote
11/30/2010 12:04 PMPosted by Welt
I just gotta say --

Welt

If you can heal a PuG you can heal. If you can't keep the WORST groups alive you shouldn't be healing IMO. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to vent about it -- you ARE 100% right. But being able to make the best of these groups will make you a Rockstar at max level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]