New computer : copy or reinstall ?

85 Tauren Death Knight
Hello,

I have ordered a new iMac and I'm wondering if I should just copy wow datas or do a clean install. I now have a wow folder of 27,45Go and I think it's a lot even for wow, though space isn't much of an issue.

Do I gain anything from reinstalling using digital download ? (like datas being corrupted after 6 years of patching over and over).

I also have a second question : in the Perf guide of this forum the OP gives settings lower for iMac with ATI 4850 than for those with ATI 5670. I thought the second one had better energy conservation but lower perf overall, 4850 being just behind 5750. Can anyone give me more precisions on this ?

Thanks !
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Supposedly depending upon the situation the 4850 can be +/- 10% performance compared to the 5750 in benchmarks. The problem is the gpu's in iMacs are mobile components. They're usually a mobile card with specs comparable to a desktop version. So they name it as if it were a desktop card. For example, the gpu in the mid 2010 iMac i7 is an HD5750, however, gpuz shows it as a mobile 5850. Its specifications as a mobile 5850 is on par with a desktop 5750... Personally I had a gaming PC that I had custom built with a Phenom x4 965 and an HD 4890 that could basically maintain 60fps, with v sync, everywhere and maybe dip down a bit during raids. The settings were mid to high. I don't know if that puts things in perspective but I hope it helps!

Right now I run the mid 2010 iMac and honestly, OSX is awesome and I love it, but performance vs price, I wish I stuck to my AMD build.....

As for the game, just reinstall it.

Goodluck!
Edited by Jfods on 11/25/2010 10:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
you can just copy entire game, provided you get rid of cache, data/cache, wtf folders at very least, possibly also interface folder

then after that correct folder permissions for the new user account on new system
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Thanks for the answer !

@Jfods : I'm no gaming expert, I've raided MC with 10 FPS on my old laptop years ago and did just fine =D That's why I didn't go for a PC probably cheaper and better for max settings games, because it would have been weaker on many other points than an iMac for all the rest I do.
Your explanation on video cards is very clear, thanks ! That's what I thought, the low end ATI equipping 27 inch shouldn't be better than the 4850, and the high end much above (cause at least of the 5750 comes with 1GO Ram vs 512 for the 4850). I'll see for myself, I know there were some heating issues with that card, maybe they underclocked it :-(

@Omegai : well, basically you're telling me to remove everything that could contain game settings, then I'll just start from scratch, easier =D Seems you both agree some cleaning won't hurt.

Last question : is it worth it to get bootcamp/win7 installed for WoW (what would be the difference in perf ?) and would I need to put anti-virus and whatnot like in the old days for just Wow and some web browsing (didn't play with windows since xp >_>) ?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
@Omegai : well, basically you're telling me to remove everything that could contain game settings, then I'll just start from scratch, easier =D Seems you both agree some cleaning won't hurt.

Yup that is correct. You do not want the config.wtf file to bring your old settings form your old computer. Deleting the files Omegal suggest will rebuild those to cater to you Mac.

Last question : is it worth it to get bootcamp/win7 installed for WoW (what would be the difference in perf ?) and would I need to put anti-virus and whatnot like in the old days for just Wow and some web browsing (didn't play with windows since xp >_>) ?

It's up to you. You don't have to do this, but yes, you will have to treat it like a regular windows based CPU. It partitions (splits) your HDD into 2 (one for Mac and one for Windows). WoW will use DX11 I believe (I haven't used a PC in awhile, I'm such an Apple person) which you may see some differences.

Do you love Boomkins? Sure we all do!
Wait I mean, take a moment to let me know how I am doing. http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG
Edited by TonyM on 11/26/2010 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
wow for PC is more complicated on what engine it uses, it has 3. old 9 engine, new 9 engine, experimental 11 engine, by default it uses the new 9 engine by default. direct 3d 11 has to be enabled with a console command. but i won't go into detail there, that's a PC tech support forum issue :)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Thanks for all the replies :)
New iMac 27' received (in fact old gen : i5 2,66 Ghz, GPU ATI 4850, but for cheaper it seemed to me a better deal than the new i3 which have a weak GPU, and I didn't want to invest more to get the 5750 GPU), I just ran the wow installer I got from the account section to reinstall from scratch (I had forgotten that with a wow update prefs like key bindings, action bars and such had migrated server side, really makes the whole easier).
With ultra settings I get 15-20fps when playing fullscreen, 40-50 in windowed mode, and this without the game being fully installed yet.
Since I can't really see the difference between 20 and 40 fps, I'll keep it as is for now, too complicated to go back to windows just for wow, especially after Omegai's explanations (I took a mac to stop spending hours to explain to windows the Soundblaster card is not a scanner >_> ).
Only thing is that it's very hot when I touch the superior part of the comp, and it's winter, can't imagine in summer (GPU is at 60° while playing at the very least).
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
(I took a mac to stop spending hours to explain to windows the Soundblaster card is not a scanner >_> ).

This made me giggle...

Do you love Boomkins? Sure, we all do!
Wait I mean, take a moment to let me know how I am doing. http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG
Reply Quote
82 Draenei Priest
eh, I just told my new imac to set up from my latest time machine backup and was gtg.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]