Grux: How DOTs work

80 Blood Elf Paladin

DOTs and Haste

This is actually very interesting information that merits further investigation.

But if haste (and perhaps crit) work this way it would be interesting and relevant for rotation purposes to know. This has the potential to make haste trinket procs more valuable than spell power procs in contradiction with the face value of the stats

As Murmurs stated, the tick-time of DOTs updates itself dynamically according to your haste levels regardless of the means or time of application.

Blizzard deliberately went out of their way to make sure haste could not be "rolled" primarily due to Warlocks taking advantage of the interaction of the old Glyph of Quick Decay with Affliction's Corruption-refreshing mechanic.

Basically, a Warlock would stack as many haste effects as he could manage, fire off a Corruption, keep the Corruption going via Drain Life and Shadowbolt refreshes, and the Corruption would be super-hasted forever (as a Warlock, I assume you're already familiar with this)

You are correct though that this would may have some influence on how valuable haste procs relative to other stats, since you don't have to wait for your haste proc to go off or recast your DOTs half-way through to take advantage of your haste proc just to benefit from them.
Reply Quote
Basically, a Warlock would stack as many haste effects as he could manage, fire off a Corruption, keep the Corruption going via Drain Life and Shadowbolt refreshes, and the Corruption would be super-hasted forever (as a Warlock, I assume you're already familiar with this)

Yes, but that is a totally different phenomenon than what we are talking about here.

Blizzard fixed haste rolling long ago in that when you recast or refresh DoTs via EA, it resets the haste number. However, prior to 4.x, the changes were not continuous in nature. If your haste changed while you were casting, say, Shadowbolt, it would not change the haste of the pre-existing DoT. Even if you had an uberhasted dot going, and you lost your haste buff, the loss of that buff would not be reflected until you refreshed the DoT a few seconds later.

Now apparently these changes are being applied instantly.

This makes a huge difference, as it was possible under the previous model to get a proc and never have your DoTs benefit from it because it didn't line up with a refresh window; the reverse was also possible where you could get an extra 8+ seconds of "value" out of a proc because it happened right on top of a refresh window.

Now with respect to Haste neither of those things can happen, i.e. Haste will be a more smoothly scaling stat for DoT classes and it will eliminate some of the variance you can see in fights when you just happen to not line up your procs well. It also will change the way I have been PvPing; I have been hitting people with instant Soulfire before Immolate on the basis that I needed the Haste buff up before I Immolated them to get an extra tick for bigger Conflags. But if the Immolate adjusts itself dynamically, I can go Immolate into instant Soulfire->Conflag for a bigger burst and still get the extra Conflag damage.

I wish they did the same thing with spellpower and crit, TBH.
Edited by Venificus on 11/25/2010 12:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Haste has been auto-updating for DoTs for quite some time, in fact it has been doing it since patch 4.0 went live. If you gain or lose a haste effect, then all of your currently applied DoTs will automatically alter their tick times based upon your new haste effect.

This is news to me. I thought they only updated when the effect was reapplied or refreshed.

Reply Quote
Haste has been auto-updating for DoTs for quite some time, in fact it has been doing it since patch 4.0 went live. If you gain or lose a haste effect, then all of your currently applied DoTs will automatically alter their tick times based upon your new haste effect.

This is news to me. I thought they only updated when the effect was reapplied or refreshed.

Nope, they automatically adjust themselves. For balance druids, it's trivial to test out. You can watch haste tick times before Nature's Grace and then once Nature's Grace is up, or you can do the reverse and watch the time once the buff drops off. Either way, the tick time automatically adjusts itself according to the buff.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Feral druid dots lose mastery bonus bleed damage in any form but cat from, even if the bleed is already applied. Completely different than pretty much every dot in the game

I would imagine spriest dots work the same way.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Feral druid dots lose mastery bonus bleed damage in any form but cat from, even if the bleed is already applied. Completely different than pretty much every dot in the game

I would imagine spriest dots work the same way.

They do not. Dropping out of Shadow Form and losing Shadow Form's damage bonus does not affect DOT potency of DOTs that are already applied.
Reply Quote
Just a quick note to all interested parties:

Bane of doom does NOT scale with haste or crit.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
I wish Feral dots didn't lost potency out of form, and updated dynamically with TF. ><

PS: Prinsesa, your new threat titling skills are... strange. >.>
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
I wish they did the same thing with spellpower and crit, TBH.

It should be, as most dots are. Certain instances might still be bugged though, but i'm pretty sure the intention is to have dots dynamically scale with everything, eventually.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]