4.0.3a DS Change

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Is it just me or is Divine Storm utterly pointless now? What was the point of removing the HP req of DS in the first place? Idk, but know Blizzard it was probably something trivial.

My issue with DS now, is that it's a spell which shares a CD with CS, but doesn't generate any holy power... What pally in their right mind would sacrifice CS for DS....

looks like i'll be ignoring it for times when i need to heal myself i likkle bit...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Or you could, I dunno, use it on AoE trash packs like AoE is intended? On 5 mobs it out-DPSes CS.

and i would much rather have it gen holy power so i can use WoG and get 12% holy dmg, or TV on w/e the main focus is...

and though i haven't played beta, it's my understanding that CC is a core raid requirement again - although for me that's purely speculations - and if that's the case, than DS wouldn't be so attractive.
Edited by Lesbadin on 11/25/2010 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Or you could, I dunno, use it on AoE trash packs like AoE is intended? On 5 mobs it out-DPSes CS.

Nobody in their right mind is going to want to take on 5 mobs at once in Cata.

Is it just me or is Divine Storm utterly pointless now? What was the point of removing the HP req of DS in the first place? Idk, but know Blizzard it was probably something trivial.

It was because DS is a signature move and a lot of people were unhappy that tying it to Holy Power rendered it less used, secondary to many other attacks.

It has been suggested that DS should generate Holy Power. It also has been suggested that Holy Wrath and Divine Storm be swapped, which might have been a good compromise.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
AoE packs are going to be relegated to encounter mechanics instead of 'the way you kill everything in the dungeon'. as such, AoE damage in general is now a kind of niche, one that you will only dip into when the situation obviously calls for it.

divine storm will outpace CS in damage output on 5+ targets, and there are fights in the expansion that throw a great number of trash mobs at you for you to specifically AoE down. outside of that, you won't be using DS much at all, which is the intent. :D
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Have the Divine Purpose talent (20%/40% chance to grant holy power for certain abilities) give Divine Storm a large chance to grant Holy Power when more mobs are hit, then this should solve the problem. =)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

and i would much rather have it gen holy power so i can use WoG and get 12% holy dmg, or TV on w/e the main focus is...

and though i haven't played beta, it's my understanding that CC is a core raid requirement again - although for me that's purely speculations - and if that's the case, than DS wouldn't be so attractive.

If you find somewhere else to put the point that increases your DPS, lemme know. In the meantime, I'll be wrecking AoE packs and single-targeting smaller groups.

Well, you won't be wrecking. Paladin aoe dps on beta parses was absolutely atrocious with this change.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Have the Divine Purpose talent (20%/40% chance to grant holy power for certain abilities) give Divine Storm a large chance to grant Holy Power when more mobs are hit, then this should solve the problem. =)
Won't happen. GC said before that the reason why Divine Purpose can only give a maximum of 1 point per cast of any spell is because they didn't want to get into the situation where retribution paladins would feel like they had to DPS multiple targets in order to be competitive in the DPS race.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Blizzard shouldn't make design decisions based on players opinions of the extremely short AoE fights we have in WotLK right now.

TV is a signature move and it takes just as long to use as DS did. In my opinion, the major problem was the fact that we had to use a single target attack to stack Holy Power for our AoE finisher.

It's too bad this turned out just like the old Expose Armor back in vanilla wow. They opted to change it to a percentage and people complained about that. Then after it was reverted and an expansion later people suddenly realized that was an awful idea because of plate gear.

In this case everyone complained because they wanted it back to being used more but are instead complaining because they never use it now either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]