Engineering useless for any but caster dps!

90 Pandaren Rogue
From a PvE perspective (I'm not even touching the PvP stuff which is obviously huge and can be read about ad nauseum in the profession thread), the amount of damage a melee dps can do using engineering is laughable compared to casters.

In Wrath, we all had the haste trinket on the gloves to use. Now for some reason haste is gone, and Intel is the new tinker in Cata? With haste there was a stat that multiple roles could use. Why was it switched to a very specific stat that only one, perhaps two roles use?

Where is the +STR and +AGI tinkers to glove to make it useful to other roles, or is it the new intention that Engineering becomes a caster dps only profession?

Come on Blizz, you're better than this, at least I want to continue hoping that you are, and that you want to keep things balanced. Although the horde vs alliance racials for pve still continue to make it look otherwise as well, but that's another topic for an other day. Let's at least get this engineering oversight taken care of now before Cata, or early enough in Cata that all end game raiders don't have to drop the profession.
Edited by Logos on 11/26/2010 1:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Because the glove enchant is the only thing that makes Engineering good.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
Engineering is probably the best profession for raiding melee dps. Want to guess why?
Edited by Argument on 11/26/2010 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
Because the glove enchant is the only thing that makes Engineering good.

X-ray goggles would like to have a word with you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Rocket Boosts + tanking = win.

Seriously, being able to kite an enraged boss for 5 seconds is just awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
2 points:
1) Yes rocket boots are great but to pretend that they outweigh the stat bonuses other professions provide is ridiculous. I'd be perfectly willing to accept less of a stat boost then other professions to counter balance for rocket boots (see point 2) but to say that melee dps should get nothing else because of boots is absurd (especially since that standard isn't applied to casters, most of whom get great benefit from boots too).
2) The change to allow rocket boots to malfunction in raids has massively decreased the value of rocket boots. For those mechanics where you would want to use rocket boots to GTFO or you wipe the raid a failure chance on boots is basically an invitation to wipe the the raid.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
You do realize that rocket boot malfunction can be countered by using the cloak perk, right?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
You do realize that rocket boot malfunction can be countered by using the cloak perk, right?

That doesn't change you dropping a defile or a combustion in the raid.
Reply Quote
I'd say engineering will be an excellent raiding prof in Cata for the utility if nothing else.

Engineer + JC = WIN!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue

You shouldn't be in that scenario, anyway. You don't need rockets to successfully drop a Defile by the throne.
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Rogue

How does the cloak counter a boot malfunction in a raid? You are presumably using the boots to reach a target. Getting there faster is the increase in dps people are talking about. Shooting up in the air and floating to the ground HURTS your dps. In the case of malfunctions you would be far better off just walking to the mob.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue

You shouldn't be in that scenario, anyway. You don't need rockets to successfully drop a Defile by the throne.

Now you are splitting hairs, the great strength of rocket boots is to move quickly, this is most often used to get out of raid quickly when some mechanic requires it, defile, combustion, consumption. Without that aspect rocket boots while useful are much less useful and nowhere near the show-stopping utility they have now.

Are rocket boots essential for defile placement and management? Nope but they do make good defile placement and management a whole lot easier, that is why you saw wholesale changes of top end guilds to engineering for HLK, rocket boots for rapid spread mechanics are invaluable without that rocket boots are minor utility at best.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
rocket boots fail a LOT more since the patch, and there is a new failure effect that drains 15% of your health every second for 8 seconds.

are you REALLY going to risk that in a raid environment?
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
i got it for the cool flying mount... that is all i use it for :)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=cogwheel says hi.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=cogwheel says hi.

All the cogwheels do is bring the engineering helms in line with the ilevel 359 helms from raiding. I've done the math on the hunter one and if anything the engineering helm comes out very slightly behind the T11 helm. It may be easier to get the helm, but an item that's only an upgrade temporarily can't be relied upon as a profession perk.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I need to level professions for this alt, what should I go?I was thinking of Chant/JC just for ease of gearing purposes.

And concerning engineering I heard some things are banned from arena and rated bg's? Is this true?

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]