Engineering is falling off the deep end again

6 Human Warrior
Nitro boosts gained the ability to backfire in raids and BGs (in addition to a new backfire that does massive damage to the user) which severely limits their usefulness. In fact, they probably won't see and use on serious fights in fear of a backfire causing a wipe. Additionally, glove tinkers are looking extremely lacking in Cataclysm for non-casters. Please take a look at this profession soon instead of waiting until 75% of engineers switched professions like the last 2 expansions.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
The rocket boot nerf seems pretty unwarranted. Frustrating that engineering seems to consistently yo-yo up and down.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
deleted.
Edited by Vaughaan on 11/26/2010 9:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I am not a fan that everything is on the belt. That really sucks having to choose....

But, I must say. The new stuff we are getting in Cata looks sick. Everyone else is just getting boring stuff. Alchemy the only exception..
Reply Quote
Why would they move nitro boosts to belt is what I want to know, it just makes no sense and now I can't really see anyone using the grenade belt.

I also don't understand why they couldn't just allow certain engi tinkers to be put on non-engineer's gear if they were too strong to be engi-only.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Why the hell did they put backfires back in? It was kinda fun in the old days when the profession was a joke anyway, but once they actually started trying to balance the stats, and got rid of stupid crap like that, I thought it would be gone for good.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
It's seriously a let down of a profession at this point. :(

I hope they buff it up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I think the biggest issue is that engineering has a few pvp benefits; nitro boots being one of the biggest. If they gave other profession pvp perks, then they probably wouldn't have to headless chicken engineering all the time.
Edited by Wyze on 11/27/2010 5:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Warlock
Backfires haha. Most amusing I'm going to have to lvl an engineer up. I for one get a good chuckle at blowing up.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I think the biggest issue is that engineering has a few pvp benefits; nitro boots being one of the biggest. If they gave other profession pvp perks, then they probably wouldn't have to headless chicken engineering all the time.

Eng has perks, but apparently the extra stats from other professions is a-okay in pvp while nitro boost isn't... -_-
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
I can't believe anyone is complaining about engineering. I for one, cannot wait to attach a cardboard assassin to my belt.

That and the lootarang.
Edited by Hairuk on 11/27/2010 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
I can't believe anyone is complaining about engineering. I for one, cannot wait to attach a cardboard assassin to my belt.

That and the lootarang.

You mean you can't wait to carry around 5 or 6 belts in your backback, one for each tinker?
Reply Quote
11 Gnome Mage
Well, the DPS bonus for Engineering (akin to the extra sockets, mixology, ring enchants, etc) is supposed to be the glove enchants - for instance, for casters, instead of gaining 80 intellect, you gain 500ish intellect via the glove "trinket" for some amount of time. It averages out to actually more than 80 intellect, but you have to activate it and it's more subject to RNG than the constant bonus (moving or stopping casting while the bonus is up drains it of any advantage), so it averages out to be about the same.

The boots/helm stuff were advantages beyond that, and something that other professions didn't have.

The change to make them backfire in raids means they're intended to be used more in a "vanity item" capacity - that is, it's not an advantage to be engineering during actual fights, but you have the bonus trinkets for things like sprinting back from a corpse run or between the AH and the bank.

The part I don't get is why they stacked them all on the belt AND made them malfunction in raids. It seems if they're just going to be vanity items, there's no reason why you can't have more than one on at a time.

I'd argue that they should either:
A) Leave the malfunctions and let the various options be put on several items.
or
B) Still only allow one item to be put on belt (in addition, of course, to the gloves), but change the malfunction to be less catastrophic while in raids (ie, just have it sputter and die off, putting it on cooldown with no bonus, rather than wipe the raid) -- the normal more "fun" malfunctions could be reserved for using them outside of raids.
Edited by Strawberry on 11/27/2010 6:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Wait, I thought the boots could always fail. I know I've had it happen on my Engineer a few times. Did they increase the fail rate or something? IT does seem stupid that it can still fail, especially since they tried to balance professions now. How do you balance a chance to die?
Reply Quote
36 Blood Elf Paladin
Wait, I thought the boots could always fail. I know I've had it happen on my Engineer a few times. Did they increase the fail rate or something? IT does seem stupid that it can still fail, especially since they tried to balance professions now. How do you balance a chance to die?

They always had a fail chance in the open world. In raids and instances they were safe though.

Now, since they added the chance to fail in raids and instances, they are just too risky to use.
Reply Quote
82 Troll Mage
seems kinda odd there is no new haste enchant for gloves... i mean the lazer blast can be decent i just don't see it being as good as a stat increase...

Haste is for Herbalists now.

The Intellect click effect on gloves is really awesome for casters, they just need a melee friendly version (+AP or whatever).

There are still some nice benefits to being an engineer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up if I weren't a caster, especially a caster DPS.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
seems kinda odd there is no new haste enchant for gloves... i mean the lazer blast can be decent i just don't see it being as good as a stat increase...

Haste is for Herbalists now.

The Intellect click effect on gloves is really awesome for casters, they just need a melee friendly version (+AP or whatever).

There are still some nice benefits to being an engineer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up if I weren't a caster, especially a caster DPS.

Certainly can't be true, because we miss out on everything else that Engineering gets, there's no way they'd tell every engineer "lol sorri gauise u gotta get weedism nao".

Engineering is really lacking at this point.
Reply Quote
8 Troll Hunter
and you STILL can't use rockets in bg's
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]