Engineering is falling off the deep end again

6 Human Warrior
Wait, I thought the boots could always fail. I know I've had it happen on my Engineer a few times. Did they increase the fail rate or something? IT does seem stupid that it can still fail, especially since they tried to balance professions now. How do you balance a chance to die?

Previously the nitro boosts only failed in areas where flying was enabled (Outlands, Northrend, and Wintergrasp).
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I really hope Blizzard fixes these issues. Making boosts fail in raids/bg's is not acceptable. They did it right before in allowing it to be a good/stable prof to use while raiding or bg'ing but to go back on that now is disconcerting.

I truly hope engineering doesn't go back to the "for fun" profession that Blizzard always talked about where nobody actually had real fun with (unless you consider consistently dying using items or having no/worthless stats "fun").

Blizzard, you did it right in LK with Engineering finally. Why not keep the ball rolling? Especially now that one of the biggest perks to being an engineer is now gone as well (Dalaran AH).
Edited by Amerika on 11/27/2010 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I don't care if the stat bonuses for engineering are crap. I don't care that I only get one tinker. I wouldn't care if they removed all the stat bonuses from engineering. What I do care about is the nitro boost being able to fail in raids.

I leveled engineering specifically for that one benefit, and now it's been nerfed. Just my luck, freaking waste of 9k gold. Seriously makes me tempted to race change to worgen, just for the sprint.

I cannot express in a text based format, the waves of raw hate that are coming off me right now. If my anger and hate could take physical form, it would look something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwrzYrpCHz0&feature=related
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
If the nitro boost has a chance to backfire during a raid encounter then I will never use it, compared to how I used it for almost every fight every week in wotlk.

I am looking forward to that 259 helm with the cogwheel slots though. Too bad it'll be outdated after the first raid tier and I'll only be an engineer for jeeves/molle/ and maybe a tinker. Heh, I'd probably just drop it for bs/jc since I'm pretty competitive when it comes to dps.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
If the nitro boost has a chance to backfire during a raid encounter then I will never use it, compared to how I used it for almost every fight every week in wotlk

Most of the people ive talked to about say the same thing. even if its a 1% chance to fail in a raid, they will never use it because its too risky. Imagine getting defile, plague, or some other debuff that needs to be run out and having them malfunction. It could easily lead to a wipe for the entire raid. Granted nitro is not mandatory for those things but very helpful for getting things as far away as possible.

Just my luck, freaking waste of 9k gold

damn bro, ur econemy must suck if u had to spend 9k. i feel for ya, im waiting for a blue responce on the matter and if not ill start the farming for changing to JC from eng.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
If the nitro boost has a chance to backfire during a raid encounter then I will never use it, compared to how I used it for almost every fight every week in wotlk

Most of the people ive talked to about say the same thing. even if its a 1% chance to fail in a raid, they will never use it because its too risky. Imagine getting defile, plague, or some other debuff that needs to be run out and having them malfunction. It could easily lead to a wipe for the entire raid. Granted nitro is not mandatory for those things but very helpful for getting things as far away as possible.

Just my luck, freaking waste of 9k gold

damn bro, ur econemy must suck if u had to spend 9k. i feel for ya, im waiting for a blue responce on the matter and if not ill start the farming for changing to JC from eng.

ya the economy is pretty bad. But really, it was like 6.5k to level engineering, and another 2.5k for the mats for jeeves. If I recall I was basically being robbed on mithril. So part of that expense was my own fault. My logic was something like this "Well i'm gonna have engineering on this toon forever since the nitro boosts are the best thing sliced bread. Since there's no chance in a million years of me ever dropping engineering I may as well pick up a jeeves just to round things out"

Oh hindsight, how you slay me.
Edited by Eleazer on 11/27/2010 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
96 Human Warrior
I too felt that engineering had reached a nice balance in Wrath, where the engineering tinkers were better than the profession-neutral options, but not overpowered.

Compared to a non-professional, if you got the haste gloves and nitro boots, you were at an advantage somewhat comparable to a JC's extra-strong jewels, or the bonus jewels of a blacksmith.

Now, for myself as a melee, I have no good glove tinker, and can no longer use my nitro boosts in raids.

I'm quite disappointed. :(

It may be that we're not seeing the whole picture. Perhaps the nitro boost backfires in raids is a bug that will be fixed. And perhaps there are other versions of the gloves amenable to other classes (I can't fathom why there would be an int tinker without an agi and strength one.) If so I will be happy again.

Another possibility is that they intend to keep providing upgrades for the engineering hat for each tier of raiding content. Should the hat be significantly better than the standard BiS item, it could provide all the raiding untility for engineering in one item, and therefore necessitate a toning down of the rest. I'd be okay with this. Crafting up a set of uber goggles (or dare I hope...a visor?) would be pretty awesome and flavorful.

The lack of knowledge about the developers plans, however, and seeing things in their seemingly half-finished, disappointing state currently on sites such as mmo-champion, has me somewhat nervous as to the state of the profession come Cataclysm.
Edited by Mielle on 11/27/2010 11:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
and you STILL can't use rockets in bg's

Can't use any of the engineering stuff in cata pvp, I'm swapping to alch
Reply Quote
82 Troll Mage

Haste is for Herbalists now.

Certainly can't be true, because we miss out on everything else that Engineering gets, there's no way they'd tell every engineer "lol sorri gauise u gotta get weedism nao".

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=55503

Seriously, clickable haste is the herbalism benefit, because a mana free heal was considered OP in the new "mana matters (for healers only)" world of Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Does anyone have a full list of what is and is not usable in rated bgs/arena?

Waist:
Cardboard Assassin?
Grounded Plasma Shield?
Invisibility Field?
Mind Amplification Dish?
Nitro Boosts: NO

Gloves:
Quickflip Deflection Plates?
Spinal Healing Injector?
Synapse Springs?
Tazik Shocker?
Z50 Mana Gulper?

Extra:
Flexweave Underlay?
Elementium Dragonling?
High-Powered Bolt Gun?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Well "kinda" High-Powered Bolt Gun does consume an item.

High-Powered Bolt Gun
Binds when used
Requires Engineering (450)
Item Level 85
Use: Fires several charged bolts at an enemy for 6800 to 10200 damage and briefly interrupts casting. Consumes a Handful of Obsidium Bolts each time it's fired. (2 Min Cooldown)
"Nearly as complicated to operate as it is to make."

So would this be considered usable or not?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Well "kinda" High-Powered Bolt Gun does consume an item.

High-Powered Bolt Gun
Binds when used
Requires Engineering (450)
Item Level 85
Use: Fires several charged bolts at an enemy for 6800 to 10200 damage and briefly interrupts casting. Consumes a Handful of Obsidium Bolts each time it's fired. (2 Min Cooldown)
"Nearly as complicated to operate as it is to make."

So would this be considered usable or not?

no way to tell just yet, since rated bgs haven't happened. i'd assume that it wouldn't be usable, but if it is i'll certainly make good use of it before they remove it! ;p
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
The rocket boot nerf seems pretty unwarranted. Frustrating that engineering seems to consistently yo-yo up and down.

Stop trying to get engineering buffed, Pan.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Engineering NEEDS buffs
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Engineering NEEDS buffs

Reported for trolling.

This is getting a bit ridiculous. Engineering's equivalent passive benefits from the glove tinkers alone are just about equivalent to other professions, and the other benefits put it over the edge. With Nitro Boosts, it was twice as good as any other profession. Now, it's only slightly better.

There's a reason guilds like Premonition made engineering a requirement, and there's a reason every decent pvper had engineering as a profession.
Edited by Orcheon on 11/27/2010 1:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
Engineering NEEDS buffs

Reported for trolling.

Reported for trolling by reporting :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]