Retribution Needs a Clear Direction

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would agree, this new RET system with Holy Power is not much fun. It feels inefficient, clunky where as the previous rotation pre-Patch was smoother and I felt it had a better flow than the current incarnation.

I feel this is a case of over-thinking a design concept. Even now after the hot fixes and shattering, this spec feels lost.

Granted the 81 - 85 journey may 'solve' some of this uneven play, but truth be told, if it's not fun today, it won't be fun at 85 either.

I would rather see Blizzard scrap the Holy Power system all together. It was a nice attempt to refresh the class, but it has not been successful. On paper it can look like a great system with terrific procs and DPS bonus' when used properly, but that's not how it plays. I feel like someone put a governor on my engine.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks to the OP for starting a constructive criticism of our recent class changes.

As Carnie (and others) have mentioned several times in this thread, this isn't a discussion of meters at level 80. Blizzard has already come out to say that the CURRENT number balance at level 80 is not as big a priority, since many of the changes are tuned for the upcoming level cap of 85:

Quote from Ghostcrawler:
We are going to spend some effort adjusting numbers for 1-80. It's not as big a priority as 85 because frankly, more players care about balance at 85 than they do lower level balance.

Though it's been said a few different ways, I think the primary issue is that the new Paladin resource systems (and corresponding rotations) is simply not as much fun as the old system because it feels like an artificial solution to the problem.

Where the old system was frenetic, the new Holy Power (HP) system feels artificially controlled through a combination of RNG, longer CDs and a conflicting resource system. While I can understand the decision to free players from GCD locked rotations, adding a resoruce system that drives only one offensive ability ends up feeling more like a handicap.

Quote from Ghostcrawler:
Even more importantly, we also want design space for ourselves. When your spec is GCD locked, you have to start ignoring things like procs or free resources, because you can't spend them without screwing up your rotation.

While they may have freed Ret Palys from being GCD locked, they've introduced an artificial lock: ability locked. With the importance of Holy Power in the DPS rotation, current rotations sometimes force Ret Paly to ignore procs or free resources "abilities", just to make sure the HP building CS is being used. Combine this with the RNG Mastery element and the game's new Spell Queuing system and it starts to feel like a "Whack a Mole" system or a "Ready, Set, Go" gating system for DPS.

The most recent change to exclude HP from affecting Divine Storm makes the whole system even more confusing as it narrows the usefulness of HP so that it feels even more like an addendum to our class system rather than an intregal ingredient to DPS success.

In the end, the current system feels like two systems (old and new) trying to co-habitate within the same environment. A mixture of two diametric systems that struggle for a player's attention.

And it's simply not an enjoyable experience.
Reply Quote

Though it's been said a few different ways, I think the primary issue is that the new Paladin resource systems (and corresponding rotations) is simply not as much fun as the old system because it feels like an artificial solution to the problem.

Where the old system was frenetic, the new Holy Power (HP) system feels artificially controlled through a combination of RNG, longer CDs and a conflicting resource system. While I can understand the decision to free players from GCD locked rotations, adding a resoruce system that drives only one offensive ability ends up feeling more like a handicap.

Quote from Ghostcrawler:
Even more importantly, we also want design space for ourselves. When your spec is GCD locked, you have to start ignoring things like procs or free resources, because you can't spend them without screwing up your rotation.

While they may have freed Ret Palys from being GCD locked, they've introduced an artificial lock: ability locked. With the importance of Holy Power in the DPS rotation, current rotations sometimes force Ret Paly to ignore procs or free resources "abilities", just to make sure the HP building CS is being used. Combine this with the RNG Mastery element and the game's new Spell Queuing system and it starts to feel like a "Whack a Mole" system or a "Ready, Set, Go" gating system for DPS.

The most recent change to exclude HP from affecting Divine Storm makes the whole system even more confusing as it narrows the usefulness of HP so that it feels even more like an addendum to our class system rather than an intregal ingredient to DPS success.

In the end, the current system feels like two systems (old and new) trying to co-habitate within the same environment. A mixture of two diametric systems that struggle for a player's attention.

And it's simply not an enjoyable experience.

So very well put, thanks for taking the time to write this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]