Your tank healing preference

80 Orc Shaman
I'm seeking the opinion of the healing community on a question I have. Assuming a moderately challenging instance with a player of decent(not amazing) skill and gear, which tank class do you find is the least stressful to heal and which is the most stressful?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
least stressful- one that rotates defensive CD's and uses them in anticipation of dmg instead of after the fact

most stressful- one that saves all CD's for when they are already about to die

Reply Quote
4 Gnome Mage
In a raid with skilled players, they're all about the same.

In PUGs or while leveling up, Druid bears are my favorite because it's pretty much idiot-proof. Nothing pisses me off more than having noob Paladins take on multiple mobs are not use Consecration or Death Knights not use Death and Decay because I usually end up getting smacked in the face from HoT healing aggro because they didn't use their other AOE abilities yet. Warriors are a wildcard.

To add insult to injury, the baddie tank is usually not going to taunt the adds off me or make any attempt to chase them down despite me marking them and /yelling for help.

And I don't mind if the player is new and I very politely tell them they need to use "X" ability to keep aggro on everything they're pulling. 80% of the time I either get silence or "I know what I'm doing, stfu and heal." Sometimes they get better for the next two pulls and then completely forget and go back to their old ways after that. How annoying... :/ My ignore list has a lot of tanks on it.
Reply Quote
77 Orc Warrior
I hate bears. I don't care how good you are or how amazing your gear is. If you're a bear I immediately assume the paladin/DK/Warrior that is tanking with you is better than you are. I'd love to tell you, "oh, it's just my opinion though lulz". However, I can't because the overwhelming majority of bear tanks since Nov 2004 have been and continue to be unable to hold aggro, not stand in fire, pay attention, understand how many mobs they can safely be healed through without making their healer think they are a %%#*tard, etc etc etc. I can't h elp the way I feel and nobody will ever change my mind. Druids should be resto/balance or GTFO and reroll to a class that does the same job you're trying to do better than you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I hate bears. I don't care how good you are or how amazing your gear is. If you're a bear I immediately assume the paladin/DK/Warrior that is tanking with you is better than you are. I'd love to tell you, "oh, it's just my opinion though lulz". However, I can't because the overwhelming majority of bear tanks since Nov 2004 have been and continue to be unable to hold aggro, not stand in fire, pay attention, understand how many mobs they can safely be healed through without making their healer think they are a %%#*tard, etc etc etc. I can't h elp the way I feel and nobody will ever change my mind. Druids should be resto/balance or GTFO and reroll to a class that does the same job you're trying to do better than you.

Because people who play bears inherently have mental deficiencies that don't allow them to understand game mechanics? You didn't list one problem exclusive to bears, and instead listed the qualities of a bad tank.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
it's not about class. it's about who's playing and if they know that defensive cds exist. if they don't, it's gonna be a rollercoaster no matter what. i have no preferred class.

I hate bears.... blah blah blah <snip>

responding to this out of principle. our guild's bear tank is fantastic, leads our raids, tracks all the timers and coordinates locations and positioning on the fly in all our raids while holding incredible aggro and being easy to heal. looks like you've just had bad experiences. it's not about which class, especially in 5 mans, it's about who's playing said class.
Edited by Kyiris on 11/29/2010 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Honestly, I don't find healing to be stressful. If the tank is bad, no biggy. If the tank is terrible, I may either replace him or leave. If the tank is childish with a hefty sense of entitlement, I let him die and watch as his fingers get fat with rage ("OMMFG YUO SUKK HEEARL WHY DIDN TYOU HEAL ME!?!!?!!11").

That being said, druids are typically the easiest to heal, and paladins are the least easy, but I don't even have to pay attention to successfully heal a heroic these days.

Oh, and by terrible, I mean a tank who loses a mob to healer aggro and doesn't notice or bother to pick it up. Happens more often than I'd like.
Reply Quote
77 Orc Warrior
it's not about class. it's about who's playing and if they know that defensive cds exist. if they don't, it's gonna be a rollercoaster no matter what. i have no preferred class.

I hate bears.... blah blah blah <snip>

responding to this out of principle. our guild's bear tank is fantastic, leads our raids, tracks all the timers and coordinates locations and positioning on the fly in all our raids while holding incredible aggro and being easy to heal. looks like you've just had bad experiences. it's not about which class, especially in 5 mans, it's about who's playing said class.

the overwhelming majority of bear tanks

^ I covered your "not all of them" argument. I know a couple good ones too :P
Edited by Failtank on 11/29/2010 12:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock

the overwhelming majority of bear tanks
^ I covered your "not all of them" argument. I know a couple good ones too :P

Then that's not a problem with bear tanks as a spec. That's a problem with you having very bad luck and knowing too many bad players who happen to play bears.
Edited by Galatea on 11/29/2010 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
77 Orc Warrior
I've been playing for 6 years. The pool of experience from which I judge bear tanks is pretty deep. Any class/spec can be played well by a good player. That's not what the OP asked. If you want mathematical break downs of exactly WHY whatever class is the worst to heal then EJ probably has it. He asked what we least enjoy healing and I answered with, "most of them are failures and so I just stereotype all of them". Which is a valid point of view even if you don't share it :P
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Paladin
And my healer is also a recent respec to terrible, fail tank on the side (I want insta-queues in Cata >:D ). Soz about ur aggroz bro!

/signed
Failtank
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Druid
As a pally tank, on the flip side, I have always preferred a holy priest as a healer, in 5 mans and in raids. But then, that is likely due to the best experiences I've had in this game were with one of three holy priests at my back.

Sadly, one is retired and the other two re-rolled due to the priests changes post-Naxx
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

lol i agree with the people above me, wtf you did nat list ANYTHING THAT IS BECAUSE OF A BEAR, in fact my favourite tank to heal generally are blood DK or bears so please stfu nub and find a real problem with the class not just a problem with bad tanks
Reply Quote
83 Human Paladin
bears are easy to heal.
pallies come with useful extras.
warriors are good, too.
dks aren't too shabby, either.

Reply Quote
83 Tauren Druid
This is for 5mans as I don't really raid.
Pallies are the least stressful but the most boring to heal.
Druids and warriors are both pretty normal.
DKs are the worst, easy. Even the better DK tanks I get almost *always* seem to take more damage than nearly any bear/pally/war I get, and it always feel like they go down in an emergency way more easily than the other tanks.

It doesn't help that I see *way* fewer good DK tanks than the other classes.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
From all the healing I have done, I find in wotlk all the tanks are about equal. The only way I can find a difference is dk's and pally's I find to move through an instance faster. Of course that's a generality and any tank can move fast. My favorite type is a tank I feel secure enough with that I will run ahead and pull the next group.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Paladin
lol i agree with the people above me, wtf you did nat list ANYTHING THAT IS BECAUSE OF A BEAR, in fact my favourite tank to heal generally are blood DK or bears so please stfu nub and find a real problem with the class not just a problem with bad tanks

Nothing you said is coherent or relevant to anything ever. Google spell check please.
Edited by Lightsteak on 11/29/2010 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]