Cataclysm Launcher is irritating.

(Locked)

81 Blood Elf Paladin
What are these non-critical updates, and why are we getting them constantly?

I'm actually in the process of trying to find out specifically, but, I was under the impression that during this time it's essentially moving around the game files for better performance.

Don't blue track me on that.

And I'm sure, it moves the Horde content to the front, thus favoring Horde over alliance. ;)
86 Blood Elf Mage
The most annoying part of the launcher is the sound effects. They are NOT NEEDED, and
we need an option to turn them off.

Not just the loud noise when you hit play, but all of the noises it makes while downloading patches and such.

And to the OP, I agree with the 'applying non critical updates'. I tend to hit the launcher, then check some websites before hitting Play, and when it has non-critical updates to apply, it drags my whole computer down to a crawl and is very annoying.

85 Human Death Knight
The non-critical updates are involved with your cache (perhaps other things as well). You can test it yourself, delete "WoWDirectory"/Data/Cache folder and then you will have 30 minutes worth of "non-critical updates" were it downloads (?) or expands (?) and fills out your cache. That particular cache is 7.75gig for me, so its a big one. I deleted it so that it was easier to move WoW to a new OS install and noticed how it increased "non-critical updates" time.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's very easy to see what the non-critical updates are.

They're generating the Cache files for World of Warcraft to use, specifically SoundCache-enUS.mpq.

Test it yourself
1. Let it run until it is done with its non-critical updates
2. Move your World of Warcraft/Data/Cache directory somewhere else
3. Run the launcher and prepare for a LOOOOOONG period of non-critical updates (or just cancel, move your folder back, and overwrite)

Edit: Beaten to it by less than one minute. D:
Edited by Simcá on 11/29/2010 1:56 PM PST
Community Manager
Alright, here's the lowdown on the non-critical updates.

• It's optimizing game files by moving patched files into the patch cache MPQs.

• In addition it will perform some sound file conversions.

If you enter the game before the non-critical update message has completed you're not likely to notice any gameplay or performance issues. As these tasks will continue while the game is running, you can choose to let the launcher perform the updates, or go ahead and play and the game will continue them in the background.
Edited by Bashiok on 11/29/2010 2:08 PM PST
80 Night Elf Druid
Nex
You can always turn off peer to peer transfers.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Please add some way to opt out of any file moving/processing that is only intended to improve file read performance. You are killing my SSD for no good reason. If it actually speeds the game client in some way, go for it, but please don't attempt to optimize my hard drive for me.
90 Night Elf Druid
Please add some way to opt out of any file moving/processing that is only intended to improve file read performance. You are killing my SSD for no good reason. If it actually speeds the game client in some way, go for it, but please don't attempt to optimize my hard drive for me.
Run the game directly, not Launcher.exe.
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior

If you enter the game before the non-critical update message has completed you're not likely to notice any gameplay or performance issues. As these tasks will continue while the game is running, you can choose to let the launcher perform the updates, or go ahead and play and the game will continue them in the background.

THANK YOU!

This was driving me nuts.
87 Night Elf Rogue
If I have in-game sound disabled (this means it was disabled and the game was saved/closed prior to my opening the launcher again,) why does the launcher still have its obnoxious sound?

It's reminds me of the old comics - BOOM, SMASH, KAPOW, PWANG!

As for the non-critical updates, it is a little overbearing how repeated and prolonged they are. More than that, I'm really tired of the launcher defaulting to the "Let's explain how non-critical updates work!" page after I've closed it a good thirty times now.

I (sadly) played the game for hours yesterday and, sure enough, opening the launcher today shows me the normal information screen for approximately three seconds before, on my gosh, I get to learn about the new cataclysm launcher all over again.

If nothing else, give me a toggle to disable that page. Are you going to explain to me how add-ons work? How the internet works? How my keyboard works? How my computer works? I get it already...
90 Blood Elf Paladin

It either has to be doing more than that or not doing it while you play or something. When I go to play and it says "Applying non-critical updates" I will click play and still receive the lag. After playing/leaving the game on for a few hours and logout for the day it still hasn't finished what it's doing. The next time I log on it'll go back to the "Applying non-critical updates" everytime until I let it sit there for 30 minutes to finish whatever it is doing then click play and I have hardly any lag issues.

Is it doing something else that we don't know about that? Is it even applying the non-critical updates while we actually play? Never had this issue till the recent 4.01 and 4.03/a patches. Didn't have the issue much on the beta which is odd. Even did a fresh install of WoW and cleared all the folders (all the standard Blizzard procedures given).
85 Gnome Rogue
Could you possibly make the launcher follow the audio settings of the game. Or, give it independent audio settings?

I purposefully route my game sound through my headset for a number of reasons. For one, that way I can easily take them off if I'm watching a movie or listening to a song and the game sound will not interfere. For two, if there's someone asleep nearby or whatever, I can play with sound without it bothering them without having to mess with the sound settings.

However, when I start that game I have to mute my entire system if I don't want BONNNGGGGGGGGGGG.
Sometimes it's rebuilding the files, sometimes it appears to just be checking them (based on disk reads vs disk writes and watching whether the files were being modified; no data was being downloaded). For me, it used to kick in if I deleted the Cache directory that's in the Data directory, but now it doesn't say anything about "non-critical updates" when i do that (but still seems to rebuild them over time).

When I first noticed this, it seemed to me that the "checking" behavior was triggered by pressing PLAY too early, before it says "World of Warcraft is up to date", but it doesn't do that for me any more. No idea if it's because of something I changed or just the behavior of the launcher has changed.
86 Undead Mage
Could you possibly make the launcher follow the audio settings of the game. Or, give it independent audio settings?

I purposefully route my game sound through my headset for a number of reasons. For one, that way I can easily take them off if I'm watching a movie or listening to a song and the game sound will not interfere. For two, if there's someone asleep nearby or whatever, I can play with sound without it bothering them without having to mess with the sound settings.

However, when I start that game I have to mute my entire system if I don't want BONNNGGGGGGGGGGG.

You can turn that off. Go to your volume control when the launcher is up. Best thing I ever did :)
90 Human Paladin

* It's optimizing game files by moving patched files into the patch cache MPQs.

* In addition it will perform some sound file conversions.

So, data duplication is then the reason my wow folder has gone from ~18gb to ~27gb in the last month. Is there a setting to turn off this "optimizing" should one feel that this Data/Cache data is consuming more resources than it saves, overall?

I've heard I can delete the folder to reclaim over 8gb of space, but only temporarily until it rebuilds it again?
90 Human Mage

THANK YOU!

This was driving me nuts.

Me too I'm always going what is with the non-critical updates.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]