An honest question for the beta testers

And hopefully some honest answers.

As we wind down the final days of WotLK style healing and turn toward the new Cataclysm style healing, the question must be asked of the beta testers. Based on your experiences, did your enjoyment of healing increase or decrease due to the changes Blizzard has made in Cataclysm?

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Huge increase in enjoyment for healing on a paladin.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warlock

As we wind down the final days of WotLK style healing and turn toward the new Cataclysm style healing, the question must be asked of the beta testers. Based on your experiences, did your enjoyment of healing increase or decrease due to the changes Blizzard has made in Cataclysm?

You shouldn't rely on other people's opinions to decide whether or not you'll enjoy healing but I will say I love the changes and I'll explain why because I don't think a "yes" or a "no" does it any justice.

I can tell you this much, wotlk style healing doesn't actually "end" until you hit 84 and even then you don't truly experience it until you start doing heroics. And once you do reach that point it's a whole different beast.

In heroics healing itself hasn't changed too much, it's the environment -around- the healer that has changed dramatically. You will still be spamming spells but now people aren't going from 100-0% in an instant. Instead player will be dropping by chunks of their health and you will just have to choose when and how you'll heal each player (or group of players).

You can't carry groups anymore, most of the responsibility of how fast and how well you do in an instance has been shifted back towards the dps (CC, kill orders, etc) and is now spread evenly amongst the 5 players in a group. If a player fails to respond to a mechanic properly they will die, we can't just brute force through the damage with our op heals. Eventually though once you outgear things you can just go to the massive heal for everything and keep everyone at 100%.

I've only done 1 full raid (5 bosses) and no heroic modes on the beta so I don't feel like I can go into depth over how I felt about that.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Huge increase. I was glad to be one of the first to see the greatness of the Disc healing model as a solution to the raid damage model of LK (a.k.a. everybody at full health is about to die), but clicking 15 names on Grid in order every 15 seconds has gotten boring. My mana bar actually has to be on my screen now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
monster increase. I don't just spam CH over and over to power my way through heroics like I used to. I actually have to prioritize and play smart. It's a welcome change. And the focus of group sucess is shifted from me to the rest of the group. success of a heroic is placed on the shoulders of the DPS a LOT more. (which is why I just don't get the healer QQ about being blamed for everything...)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Huge increase in enjoyment for healing on a paladin.

I have to admit that I loved it too. Healing on beta made me weewee stiff.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Big fat yes. Can't wait to do it all again in a few weeks :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Healing 5 mans, much much better. Very fun.
Drinking in 5 mans, not so fun. But it does buy time for people to mark targets instead of steamroll.

Healing in raids (25) reasonably the same. Still mass aoe madness, but the mechanics of the bosses are better and its less of a hair trigger death if someone does actually die.

PvPing as a healer, varies from almost ok (when facing a group of morons :P) to horrible when facing people who know how to interrupt. Also soloing as a heal spec is terrible, but this is nothing new really.

Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
My enjoyment completely relied on how competent the group I was with was. If I was with a good tank and intelligent dps, I loved it... otherwise, eh. Not so much. :\

Nice changes to paladins, though I do miss quite a few things about the spec before 4.0.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
As others have said, raids were pretty similar to now. However, that was the reason they nerfed aoe dmg and were in the process of bringing down raid wide aoe dmg when beta shut down. I imagine they want it to be more similar to the 5 man heroic model which is amazing fun.

PVP healing atm felt pretty borked and needs some serious tuning imo. Then again that is from the priest perspective, which everyone agrees both specs are by far the worst pvp healers atm.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Paladin
Leveling healing was horribly broken. Healers getting kicked for leveling, healers stopping after every fight to drink, Some healing classes are awesome some awful.

Kicking non cc dps because they have no CC and no other reason, kicking dps for having subpar dps.

It wasnt so much bad as a complete and utter kickfest if anyone is even remotly off their game.

Its easier to kick first and ask questions later.

Heroics seem to get a bit better.

Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Shaman
I thought it was fun.

PUG groups are going to be a nightmare for a while. Expect people to try to vote-kick you. Likely you'll have some non-morons in there with you as well, so it'll likely fail, and the douche will rage quit the group.

And when he queues again, and again, and again and keeps finding that healers can't keep him alive when he's standing in fire, maybe he'll wise up.

Maybe.

I, for one, will be running only with friends for a while.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
monster increase. I don't just spam CH over and over to power my way through heroics like I used to. I actually have to prioritize and play smart. It's a welcome change. And the focus of group sucess is shifted from me to the rest of the group. success of a heroic is placed on the shoulders of the DPS a LOT more. (which is why I just don't get the healer QQ about being blamed for everything...)

Because although you personally realize that game play has changed many others have not. There are still many people trying to steamroll content. Tanks chain pulling or pulling massive groups, dps not paying attention to their threat or their targets at all, etc. Those people are still blaming the healer when they die or wipe, without even bothering to look at their own skill level. Very frustrating.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Shame there isn't any druids in here saying they enjoy the new healing :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but it's functional. The healing is just so one-dimensional there's few interesting decisions to make. Tbh, I enjoy my Holy Pally more but I'm never going to change mains.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
...it's functional. The healing is just so one-dimensional there's few interesting decisions to make.

I agree with this too, actually.
Healing is more fun than it is now. But at times it does feel like you could be replaced with a bot and nobody would notice. :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I think people that blame the healers either:

A:) Don't play a healer.
B:) Have not accepted that they might be at fault. Understanding the changes comes late for some and they are too comfortable blaming the healers.

So yea it still happens.

Ive noticed that even in the LK Heroic dungeons people can die if they are stupid or if I am not fully charged on coffee before entering the dungeons. For the most part, when the odd death happens and usually due to us being 'overly optimistic about group pull sizes', people are pretty cool about it.

I think, for me anyway, the problem was being caught between the changes and the reality of the new expansion. I remain in flux between them and am trying to make it work.
Reply Quote

You shouldn't rely on other people's opinions to decide whether or not you'll enjoy healing but I will say I love the changes and I'll explain why because I don't think a "yes" or a "no" does it any justice.

I can tell you this much, wotlk style healing doesn't actually "end" until you hit 84 and even then you don't truly experience it until you start doing heroics. And once you do reach that point it's a whole different beast.

In heroics healing itself hasn't changed too much, it's the environment -around- the healer that has changed dramatically. You will still be spamming spells but now people aren't going from 100-0% in an instant. Instead player will be dropping by chunks of their health and you will just have to choose when and how you'll heal each player (or group of players).

You can't carry groups anymore, most of the responsibility of how fast and how well you do in an instance has been shifted back towards the dps (CC, kill orders, etc) and is now spread evenly amongst the 5 players in a group. If a player fails to respond to a mechanic properly they will die, we can't just brute force through the damage with our op heals. Eventually though once you outgear things you can just go to the massive heal for everything and keep everyone at 100%.

I've only done 1 full raid (5 bosses) and no heroic modes on the beta so I don't feel like I can go into depth over how I felt about that.

Thank you for the feedback. I wasn't relying on people's opinions to determine if I'd enjoy the new model.

I'd have to experience it myself to make that call. It's more curiosity to hear if GC achieved his goal of "make healing more fun."

I make no secret that I am one of the people who has been against the new model since it was first outlined on the original forums. I am a natural team player, and absolutely hate the idea that my character will contribute less to the success of the group than I do now.

However, none of my naysaying has made any difference and the new model is upon us. So I just have to take a deep breath, accept my fate, and make the best of it.

Hopefully, it'll be fun. If not, there is always my warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Shame there isn't any druids in here saying they enjoy the new healing :(

I actually really liked it. I played my Druid through most of the beta because the other healers (except Shaman for the first half, and Pally for the last half) just weren't functioning how they were supposed to. I really enjoyed having to mix in direct heals to take care of damage, instead of always just maintaining Rejuvenation wherever needed and sprinkling in Wild Growth. I really enjoy the more frequent Omen of Clarity procs, especially since they only affect Regrowth and Healing Touch. I like using the Tree of Life cooldown, as you can use it in various different ways (big throughput increase, or spam Lifebloom for OoC procs to use on instant Regrowths for great efficiency). I also liked not being a giant piece of Broccoli anymore. =p

My choice for this expansion was between my Druid and my Paladin, and the Paladin only won because our raid already has multiple Resto Druids, but no Paladins (of any spec!).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]