The Daily Thread: Tuesday, 11/30/10

85 Human Paladin
Hey there, gang!

It's another day in the online neighborhood! I hope you all have a great one. ^_^

More adventures with the new patching system last night; it really makes me miss the good ol' days when I could just download patches here at work then take them home and update all our PC's there. Now, it's a fight to try and update both computers, since we have a 375MB daily download allowance on satellite. Or lose some sleep and stay up til 1am to initiate a download during our free download period (between 1am and 7am CST). Any way you slice it, it's an inconvenient PITA and I wish Blizz would go back t the old way of patching, there was nothing wrong with it.

Topic of the Day: Now that November is just about over and December is right around the corner, the question of the hour is: Have you finished Christmas shopping yet?

Not really, I tend to be something of a procrastinator when it comes to buying for Christmas. Of course, there are really only three people I buy for: My parents and my husband. I'm not really one of those people that ascribes to the habit of buying for every single person I've ever met. I might buy for a friend occasionally, but not often.

I'm just not big on giving of material things, of course, I'm a rather graceless receiver, too. *lol* It's not that I hate being given a gift, I dislike the idea of someone spending money on me that they could have used for themselves. I've tried to be better about it and put up less of a fight, but it's still a challenge sometimes.

The greatest gift anyone has ever given me is just the gift of time; saying, "Hey, I'mma come visit" or "Hey, let's go out for some coffee". I would rather spend time with the people I love and enjoy than give them yet another material object that they may or may not want or need. Or a gift card. Oh God, let's not get into the gift card debate. *lol*
Reply Quote
Finished? I still need to start. XD
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Topic of the Day: Now that November is just about over and December is right around the corner, the question of the hour is: Have you finished Christmas shopping yet?

I've picked out my white-elephant gift for our family. Saw it on think geek and could not resist. ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/e5a7/ ) The white elephant exchange is just for adults, but my wife is scared I may traumatized one of our nieces or nephews by accident lol.

We're mostly doing cards this year. I'm still trying to find a good gift for Diandria though. I had a good idea, but then my mom called me from the store, where she was picking up exactly what my idea was for Dia and wanted my opinion on what color to get her... (backpack since she started college classes this last semester).

On a side note, weird news story. Potato Commisioner in Washington State ate nothing but potatoes for 60 days to proof a point about how healthy they are. He lost 21 pounds, and his cholesterol dropped 67 points! ( http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40424707/ns/today-today_health?GT1=43001 )

Reply Quote
80 Troll Shaman
-insert a grumpy and grim statement about finances-
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Death Knight
-Insert rant about semi-idolotrous nature of consumerism and capitalism's ironic capture of a holiday founded on radical downward mobility.-
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm just about done with Christmas shopping! Kids are done, parents are done (Hooray for Shutterfly photobooks!) and all I have left is to pick up the main gift for my wife (Boo waiting for paychecks!).

Also, I love Cyber Monday so much more than Black Friday. Black Friday is pretty much everything I think is wrong with Christmas all wrapped up in one terrible day full of people being awful to each other.

Yes, I have worked retail far too many years. ^.^
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
-Insert rant about inserts-
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yes, I have worked retail far too many years. ^.^

Yes, anyone who has worked retail is jaded against the general human populace when it comes to the holiday season. "Good will toward men", ha! More like "Good elbow to the ribs so I can get to whatever's on sale before the other men". >_>

Seriously, there was one year I was a CSM for Wal-Mart and we had to call in the cops because there was a riot in the store over "Tickle Me Elmo" dolls. A riot. Over a TOY.

I've also had things thrown at me, I've been cursed at, I've had people raise their hands like they were going to hit me... welcome to the Season of Giving: Attitude, Ingratitude, and Platitudes!
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
I got smashed up against one of those glass video game cases one year for a good 10-15 minutes right after they opened the doors. The fact that the employee needed to be able to move to open the cases and get their precious games didn't seem to occur to them at all. Security actually had to come disperse them.

Good times.

Edit: <~~Dasri
Edited by Aluria on 11/30/2010 9:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

What is this... I don't even?!

I had no idea you enjoyed going bear. *gasp*
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

What is this... I don't even?!

I had no idea you enjoyed going bear. *gasp*

Yes, yes you did! I seem to remember respec'ing from resto to feral so that we could run Kara. ^.^
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yes, yes you did! I seem to remember respec'ing from resto to feral so that we could run Kara. ^.^

Maybe I just enjoyed the idea of watching you run around all bear...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet, my family is entirely too huge. I tend to just get everyone gift cards from the bank where I work. I'm entirely too lazy to think up a great gift for everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Oooh! Innuendo! Now it is a real daily thread. ^.^

/rawr
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin

/rawr

Hahaha, of course! Now all we need is Lakami to show up and the circle would be complete.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

/rawr

Hahaha, of course! Now all we need is Lakami to show up and the circle would be complete.

...what?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

/rawr

...what?

hahahha, In YOUR Endo!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]