Arena Players, Can you flip the switch?

85 Human Warlock
Hi, I'm the guy that will be graveyard camping you at all times.

See ya soon.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Ashman, if they are winning, no, but the moment they lose a few games in a row, yah I do. If their not in the same guild, I guarantee Gchat will be lit up with, man this guy sucks as a leader, we should have done X, Y, Z. Lets go to the farm next time, just ignore that guy hes only 2600 in arena.......if you don't see this coming, your way to optimistic....Sure there may be the occasional super mature, non-ego based 2600+ group. But those will be like diamonds in the rough. Just look at the posts, minus affix in this thread.

Raennie

I wouldn't suggest taking forum posts as any kind of indication of how a person is in-game or on skype/vent/etc., let alone how they are in real life. Also note that there are near-zero top tier players that post on these forums. It is the sorta-kinda-good players that tend to have the biggeste egos :P
Reply Quote
Ashman, if they are winning, no, but the moment they lose a few games in a row, yah I do. If their not in the same guild, I guarantee Gchat will be lit up with, man this guy sucks as a leader, we should have done X, Y, Z. Lets go to the farm next time, just ignore that guy hes only 2600 in arena.......if you don't see this coming, your way to optimistic....Sure there may be the occasional super mature, non-ego based 2600+ group. But those will be like diamonds in the rough. Just look at the posts, minus affix in this thread.

Raennie

They can get high ratings in arena with or without these issues, they can do the same in rated BGs. Egos or not, jerks IRL or not, they're better at the game period than most of the players who only BG because they constantly play against players that are @ or above their skill level.

You don't learn all that much from doing BGs, trust me, I've played a lot of them, and I know I'd be a better player had I spent that time doing arenas instead.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Lol, so many presumptions on my skill level. Has even one of you every faced me in a BG? No I thought not. Affix, you were originally from Tichondrius yes? Do you remember a Holy paly named Ranelan? Our group dominated what we would now be called, rated BG's. Our whole group got titles. Yet you all stand here in judgment because of some merit badge? *Golf Clap*

Raennie

I don't know what this post means. No, you didn't dominate 'what would now be called rated BGs' because the only thing that resembled that was the organized games that were set up by top tier BG teams at 60. The only teams that dominated that were Notorious and TAO, and you never beat them, because Noto never lost a game.
Edited by Affx on 11/30/2010 12:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Hrmm guess your not the Gnome mage Affix on alliance side back in Vanilla. He was an amazing mage. Our group had all the grand marshals and we set the cap for each rank. We que dodged very very rarely, most of our people enjoyed long hard fought fights. But days of yore....

Raennie
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Hrmm guess your not the Gnome mage Affix on alliance side back in Vanilla. He was an amazing mage. Our group had all the grand marshals and we set the cap for each rank. We que dodged very very rarely, most of our people enjoyed long hard fought fights. But days of yore....

Raennie

That was me, yes, I never did the GM grind, though. If you think that had anything to do with high level play you're sorely mistaken :P
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Oh come on Affix, those fights against Blackrock teams. Where it would literally be a 1 point difference in a win? Or the hour and half long warsongs. The billion back and forths, eb and flow of battle. Those were epic and the coordination of our group was pretty impressive. Do you not long for the those epic battles? Do you really always want to know whats coming, and never face original comps above a certain level? Has arena changed your perspective that much?

Raennie
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
for the most part, your skill in arena will carry over to rated BGs. you will end up about where you capped your rating if you did any moderately serious arena unless you simply get carried.

if you were a gladiator level arena player, expect similar results. same on down the line.

you are deluding yourself if you think you will go from average or mediocre in arena to superb in rated bgs, it just won't happen.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
People are still scratching for reasons why arena players are only good at arena? Is this another sad attempt to vacuum theory why BG heroes will somehow dominate arena players in battlegrounds?
Edited by Sheephappens on 11/30/2010 1:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
But those will be like diamonds in the rough.

I think you have it backwards here amigo. Just like you generally don't remember the twenty-three great players in your first six dungeons of the day, but do remember the one rude, ninja sonofabitch, and because of him consider that day a relatively poor one for dungeon running, so do you remember the negative aspects more than the positive aspects of everything else. Out of the nine arena partners I've had over Wrath, I only regret playing with a single one. The others were great guys that I'd be happy to pick up games with any time. I similarly haven't met many arena players that I haven't played with who are dicks.

If you're noticing a higher concentration of jerks in the competitive arena group than anywhere else, it's likely your data is skewed in some fashion, or you're suffering from the selective memory I mentioned earlier. Possibly both. If most of your PVE experience comes from a guild you've been with for years, and most of your interaction with arena players comes from those who make special mention of themselves as such on the forums, then somehow I'm not surprised you don't have an accurate picture of the general demeanor of the latter group.
Edited by Mayeli on 11/30/2010 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warlock
Ive seen 2s, 3s and 5s teams blow up because one or two or everyone ends up hating each other. Egos will get in the way. Strife will tear teams apart but in the end those who are good in arena will find their way to the best rated BG teams minus not a small few who cannot get along with others.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Oh come on Affix, those fights against Blackrock teams. Where it would literally be a 1 point difference in a win? Or the hour and half long warsongs. The billion back and forths, eb and flow of battle. Those were epic and the coordination of our group was pretty impressive. Do you not long for the those epic battles? Do you really always want to know whats coming, and never face original comps above a certain level? Has arena changed your perspective that much?

Raennie

Kids playing in a little sandbox. Your little backyard exploits isn't going to make you successful in the in NFL, in fact you probable couldn't make a high school team.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
That may be the case, i'll try to ignore the forums trolls then. :) Sheep, no no theory, arena players will be good at all forms of PVP. My question is will they be able to sacrifice for objectives basically flipping the never die mentality off. Those that can will be successful and I have no doubts about people like Affix. Try outs seem to be the way to go and even arena players do that on the Arena servers. Thanks all the decent posters.

Raennie
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage

Raennie

Of course I want fun, close, engaging games. I just don't think you have a particularly accurate view of arena players, or the massive skill difference between the random honor grinding GM and the kinds of people I've had the opportunity to play with. There's really nothing I can say to persuade you if you equate top level arenas to the GM grind. That beyond inaccurate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]