Arena Players, Can you flip the switch?

85 Troll Mage
That may be the case, i'll try to ignore the forums trolls then. :) Sheep, no no theory, arena players will be good at all forms of PVP. My question is will they be able to sacrifice for objectives basically flipping the never die mentality off. Those that can will be successful and I have no doubts about people like Affix. Try outs seem to be the way to go and even arena players do that on the Arena servers. Thanks all the decent posters.

You ask your question as if all arena players are the same. You might as well ask if black people can stop drinking kool-aid (no offense to anyone). You're basically making sweeping generalizations about arena players, and asking questions based off your generalization.

You know how I know you're gay? Note that any answer at all confirms your being gay (also, no offense to anyone).

These are loaded questions, just like the one you are asking.
Edited by Sheephappens on 11/30/2010 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Affix. Really, engineering, Flags, potions, strategies, cooldowns, completely random 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4 5 vs 5, 2 on 3 3 on 4 4 on 5.

Arena
Above 2600 the same mage/lock/X, Shaman/Rogue/X, I have watched the last 10 or so tourneys for cash. Every time the same comp, almost identical strategies. Mind you these players are phenomenal, no joke, absolutely amazing. But at the same time, they aren't having to adapt, they scrimmage against these people over and over and over. A random BG, you could come up against 4 resto druids, or 4 holy pallies. You have to adapt on the fly and figure out how to coordinate and take them down(hard as hell BTW). I think its been so long, you may have forgotten the craziness. But everyone will get to enjoy it shortly :)

Love Raennie
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
The same people who dominate arenas are the people who are going to dominate BGs

This.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being delusional.
Reply Quote
4 Draenei Priest
The good thing about RBGs is that you will no longer find OP comps that were common in arena especially 2v2 and 3v3. While many arena players were skilled, some of them were able to get a high rating by just exploiting the advantage of a comp over most other comps. It will be much more balanced in RBGs. In my opinion, if played competitively, it is going to require greater co-ordination and strategy to win BGs than to win arena.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Nothing is going to be fun about rated bgs.

The only thing interesting about BGS is how much effort will blizzard put into to class balancing around BGs.

How big a backlash is there going to be against frost mages and their overpowered CC... will they get nerfed to the point of crippling them in arenas? I doubt it, but still some hope.

Also the whole arena players have that live at all cost mentality is false and naive frankly that tells me you knowledge of arenas is limited. There at times in 3s where you willing to swap kills to get a favorable 2v2 mismatch.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Brutain lol we can agree about frost mages. But technically Frost DK's have the most OP CC in BG's on a 1 min cooldown. Hungering Cold = all your healers CC'ed for 10 seconds. If you coordinate with a rogue or warrior and get the healers to pop the trinket, its GG for their team.
I like your point about dying to swap for a favorable comp, at what level would you say that is a prevailing strategy? I have seen that happen twice in the last 10 internet televised tourneys. Once worked out, the other time it wound up in a round draw because the healers never ran out of mana. The rest of the matches, 3 vs 2 = win. So it doesn't seem like a super used strategy but its nice to know its in the repertoire.

Raennie
Reply Quote
Affix. Really, engineering, Flags, potions, strategies, cooldowns, completely random 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4 5 vs 5, 2 on 3 3 on 4 4 on 5.

Arena
Above 2600 the same mage/lock/X, Shaman/Rogue/X, I have watched the last 10 or so tourneys for cash. Every time the same comp, almost identical strategies. Mind you these players are phenomenal, no joke, absolutely amazing. But at the same time, they aren't having to adapt, they scrimmage against these people over and over and over. A random BG, you could come up against 4 resto druids, or 4 holy pallies. You have to adapt on the fly and figure out how to coordinate and take them down(hard as hell BTW). I think its been so long, you may have forgotten the craziness. But everyone will get to enjoy it shortly :)

Love Raennie

Engineering and potions aren't usable in rated BGs.
I have a feeling certain CDs that aren't allowed in arena won't be either.

And...those players adapt to using new comps, against different comps, every season, because arena balance changes. They're not going to be at a complete loss and suddenly stop playing excellently due to facing different numbers of certain classes than the standard arena comps.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Yeah all the healers are going to stand in a 10 yard group so they can be CCd together

inc Private Raennie
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Minicabe, clearly you don't know about choke points in BGs......sigh, so much to learn young padawan......

Raennie

PS: Sure they could delay and come in late, but with 2-3 mage/lock/hunters focus firing, by the time they get there, their heal target is dead. Also its really easy to ride up to a group who is capping generally all within a few feet of each other and hit 4/5 people. if you are riding in with your own group, what do you think happens next in a coordinated attack? If they all blow their trinkets from your one spell.....so thoughtless, thats fine, you will realize it potential only when you get owned by it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Minicabe, you are seriously delusional. Just wait, one of your arena heroes, on an opposing team is going to use it against you. Then you will come to the forums and complain about how your arena hero friend abused it/how its OP. You were warned....

Raennie

PS: We need to cross the bridge to stop the cap on the flag at BS, ride by that DK....ooo snap were all frozen, crap pop trinket get up there.....so little creativity or thought, amazing that you can type.....
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Mincabe, you are the forum troll who spouts his merit badge of lewtness. You shall be ignored from now on, congrats on your status. I am glad you know how to stroke your epeen.....lol

Raennie
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8RtLh5l2MY

this is grand marshal-level pvp

aka 800 bracket
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Raennie the fact you sign every post with - Raennie is horribly contrive.

Also. RP server talking about anything that isn't dice rolling or the Goldshire Inn basement.
Rofl.

obviously everyone here erp's, its how the economy works. dont judge

well, yeah

i have no idea how any multinational would function without enterprise resource planning software

edit: although what oracle/sap have to do with bg bads is beyond me
Edited by Solweaver on 11/30/2010 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8RtLh5l2MY

this is grand marshal-level pvp

aka 800 bracket

Looking back at my video from S2 (Rogue/Mage/Druid, highest rated team in the world), we were really, really awful players compared to now. It doesn't really mean much to look at those videos through the eyes of many years of experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]