Newbie Rouge Questions

85 Orc Hunter
Sorry if this is in the wrong place (not sure where else it would go really, but may have missed a board) or is a repeat thread but I have a couple of questions that you experienced players are all tired of hearing :P

Anyways, I picked up wow after leaving it a couple years ago and am currently leveling a hunter who I will probably switch to a DK. Have a lot of playing time during a break coming up though and wanna start a 2nd character and after watching some videos and read a lot of threads decided rouge would be my style of class.

So first question, what kind of build/spec is the most commonly used? I hear a lot about combat for DPS and then I'm guessing stealth (or whatever it's actually called) for all the ganking videos? Is this correct?

Secondly what horde class would be the best for combat and which for "ganking"? I've read gnome, troll, or orc. Is this correct? Oh and with Cat coming out soon does goblin have any advantage that I would want to wait and start a rouge with it?

Finally, any hints and tips in terms of playing a rouge and useful add ons specific to this class?
Edited by Immanitas on 11/30/2010 2:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
76 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry if this is in the wrong place (not sure where else it would go really, but may have missed a board) or is a repeat thread but I have a couple of questions that you experienced players are all tired of hearing :P

Anyways, I picked up wow after leaving it a couple years ago and am currently leveling a hunter who I will probably switch to a DK. Have a lot of playing time during a break coming up though and wanna start a 2nd character and after watching some videos and read a lot of threads decided rouge would be my style of class.

So first question, what kind of build/spec is the most commonly used? I hear a lot about combat for DPS and then I'm guessing stealth (or whatever it's actually called) for all the ganking videos? Is this correct?

Secondly what horde class would be the best for combat and which for "ganking"? I've read gnome, troll, or orc. Is this correct?

Finally, any hints and tips in terms of playing a rouge and useful add ons specific to this class?

All I heard was "I'm too lazy to read through the 9999 threads that have already covered all my questions thoroughly. I'll be in the bathroom while you splain me everything. Oh and before you splain me everything come to the bathroom with me because it's not going to shake itself."

Edit - The point is, please L2forum. You prefaced your post with "Sorry if this is in the wrong place." This clearly shows your lack of respect and you don't really even care. Here is a hint google it.
Edited by Bluecan on 11/30/2010 2:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
The kind of spec you want depends on the aspect of the game you like the most.

Whether it be PVE or PVP...Or both.

For PVE, Assassination is pretty good. I like it better than Combat.

For PVP, Subtlety is probably the way to go.

More fun and lots of mobility.

And for your race, Gnomes can't be Horde. Don't know if you meant Goblins, but just pointing that out to you.

And, really, the race is up to you. There's no real good race to choose for ganking, just your preference.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
All I heard was "I'm too lazy to read through the 9999 threads that have already covered all my questions thoroughly. I'll be in the bathroom while you splain me everything. Oh and before you splain me everything come to the bathroom with me because it's not going to shake itself."

And you my friend are why rouges have suck bad reputations. I'm not lazy, it's just no one has the time to read through (or find for that matter, search functions are notriously bad on other forums I mod and I suspect the same here. Actually it looks like this forum doesn't even have one :/) 9,999 threads to find answers to basic questions. I also prefaced it from avoiding immatured people like you responding "IN THE WRONG PLACE NEWB!!!!!" as it could possibly fit under the "New Player Help and Guides" board.

Bulhead, yeah I was just reading a wiki on the talents and I think it was the last on the list for Alliance (followed by horde) so just messed up and put it there :P

Will subtlety work for pve as well because I enjoy both and would prefer to avoid leveling multiple rouges :P

Thanks for the race advice. Appreciate your mature response unlike bluecan.
Edited by Immanitas on 11/30/2010 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
80 Orc Rogue

Sounds to me like you want answers from inexperienced players. Because good players aren't going to help you type words in the google field.

Please don't roll a Rogue until you can spell it right. I had to go there. No rogue of any worth would ever misspell the class name.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
No it was more of preempting the go away newbie and trying to get more answers because at this point older players like you are so tired of the questions you say go google it for gods sake. Which then turns up the problem of there being results on all the patches and a ton of hate for the class so to find a semi-recent thread it takes 10+ pages of results.

And sorry for misspelling it, it just a word I've always spelled wrong. And again *sigh* you make a post saying a I shouldn't play a class simply because I misspelled a single word. This again is one of the main reasons (I suspect from reading all the hate threads) why rouges are so hated. A lot of you are so stuck up about your superiority.

Again thank you bulhead for simply answering my question rather than taking piss on my newbieness.

Unless others have something constructive to add this can be locked by mods or let die because I have a feeling the rest of the posts are going to be like the above.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Rogue

And sorry for misspelling it, it just a word I've always spelled wrong. And again *sigh* you make a post saying a I shouldn't play a class simply because I misspelled a single word. This again is one of the main reasons (I suspect from reading all the hate threads) why rouges are so hated. A lot of you are so stuck up about your superiority.

Did I just get trolled?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

Did I just get trolled?

Perhaps...

Bulhead, yeah I was just reading a wiki on the talents and I think it was the last on the list for Alliance (followed by horde) so just messed up and put it there :P

Will subtlety work for pve as well because I enjoy both and would prefer to avoid leveling multiple rouges :P

As far as I know, Subtlety is now PVE viable, but for me, I work better with Assassination.

But remember, this is me. Not you. So you play around with your spec and go along with whatever suits you best.
Reply Quote
36 Troll Druid

Did I just get trolled?

ya think?
Reply Quote
80 Orc Rogue

Did I just get trolled?

ya think?

Nah
Reply Quote
83 Goblin Rogue
Immanitas, do not get discouraged. The cost of dual specialization is lower now so it's much more viable to experiment to figure out what works best for you/your playstyle. Most of the current information I've found over time on the forums has been geared towards end game or for twinks, neither of which apply to me. Me, I like sub, it suits my playstyle and is a nice break from my mage and druid that I'm leveling at the same time. I don't pvp on my rogue, mostly quest, tradeskill and do dungeons. Occasionally, there will be a rogue in my dungeon group and I ask if they will talk to me for a moment after the dungeon to compare notes. If I were to decide to pvp, I'd go into a BG and pay attention to other rogues (set up a separate chat window to check their rotation and log it), then look up their characters on armor to check talents, gear, professions. Take some initiative to decide what's good for you, don't wait for someone to tell you what they think is good for you. Opinions are only worth something after you've formed your own, otherwise it's just egos and hornblowing.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
Not to try to plug my website, but I think it may help you out quite a bit.

Check out RogueDPS.com.

The Guide section should help you out with the class, whichever spec you choose. Granted all the information is subject to change as we near 85 and balancing continues. In fact, with the release of information yesterday on EJ, I will have to update the site today to reflect changes in gemming/reforging/etc.

Regardless, the site should help you out with any questions you may have. Hope it helps - take it easy.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Not to try to plug my website, .

But that's exactly what you did lol...
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
But that's exactly what you did lol...

;)
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warlock

Actually, I think many of us hate rogues because they keep killing us. You also spelled rogue incorrectly again. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]