The 1/2 second burst potential of DPS specs

90 Dwarf Hunter
What can each of the DPS specs do to get a significant amount of damage to land on a single target withing a 1/2 second time window on short notice? Example: Arcane mages can cast an Arcane Blast, then immediately PoM another Arcane Blast.

To be clear, I am asking about burst potential that can be set up quickly, without ramp-up. In the above example of the Arcane mage, this means that he has to burn a 1.5 minute cooldown, for example.

Also, I am more interested in what the actions of the player of a class takes than in comparing actual amounts of burst damage. Of course, if a given ability is too weak to be considered bursty, it doesn't really merit consideration in this discussion.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Sub Rogue: Prep>Shadowstep>Ambush>Eviscerate>Shadowdance>Ambush>Ambush>Vanish>Ambush is pretty bursty, probably the most burst of any spec of rogue.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Chaos Bolt/Conflag, Mindblast/SW:D, Lava Burst/Chain Lightning/Frostshock (The travel time of lava burst and the short cast time of CL makes all 3 land at the exact same time on a target about 30 yards away)

Basically any caster with a hard hitting nuke, like lava burst, with a hard/medium hitting instant cast (usually with a CD) has high ".5 second" burst potential.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
BM hunter would be Bestial Wrath + Cobra Shot > Kill Command.

MM would be Aimed > Chimera

SV would be Cobra > Explosive, though that is hampered a bit by the fact that Explosive does its damage over 2 seconds. Although, other options for SV aren't much better.

To be honest, now that I think about it, the Cata healing environment might make "sustained burst" or burn phases more important in PvP than 1/2 second burst. 1/2 second burst will only likely be really important when one's target is really low, and their healer is about to come out of a CC.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret pally with popped wings build up to 3 HP and use Hammer of Wrath and Templar's Verdict at the same time. Although I haven't done that since they last nerfed TV so not sure if it's still as bursty
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
AXE
With a shooting stars proc, I've done this:
Starfire -> Starsurge -> Moonfire
Which, if all three crit, can deal 18k on a high resil player.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Destruction Warlocks kind of excel at this due to how certain abilities line up.

For example, when dealing with a healer I will run up Shadow Fury and get Immolate up then Death Coil/Spell Lock and cast Chaos Bolt > Soulburn + Soul Fire > Conflagrate.

To the untrained eye it looks like Chaos Bolt, Soul Fire and Conflag all hit at the exact same time thus looking like a virtual 1 shot. However, if someone dispels my Immolate from that healer before I can finish this setup, I have to wait 45 seconds before I can even attempt to try again. Also if they are left with a very small amount of health left Shadowburn is awesome for refilling that shard I just spent.
Edited by Soûlrender on 11/30/2010 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]