PuG mentality in Cata

90 Human Warrior
First off, I'm a tank. I don't heal it's just not for me, but I do like to read the healing forums so I can have a better understanding of what my delightful little docters are up to while I'm staring at a boss's crotch.

As we're all told, Cata heroics are going to require more skill, less AoE. Mob damage will be up and threat will be down. DPS that AoE are liable to pull threat on multiple mobs, and I just can't taunt that many targets. How should I expect my healers to respond to this situation?

Also, is there anything that you hope your tank will do for you in these pugs?
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
Healers will respond the way they always have when their time and mana resources are too limited to deal with all the incoming damage: Triage. They'll try to keep alive who they feel they reasonably can, and still not lose the entire group. A good healer will just start dropping the people with the lowest cost/benefit ratio to the bottom of priority for healing. A DPS who is soaking a lot of damage is unlikely to live long unless I can afford to keep him alive.

What can you do for us? Awareness of the group situation. Know what you have available for CC, know how far away I am when your pulling, and how much mana I'm sitting on before you pull. Look at your chat frame periodically to make sure I'm not going afk. Generally, just good tanking habits.

Do your best to know the mechanics in the new dungeons. Don't start off pulling entire rooms, at least wait until you get a feel for the limitations of the group and the pulls in the dungeon. If you aren't confident you can hold aggro on all the mobs in a given pull, feel free to mark a target you want people to kill first. If things are going well, feel free to set and keep the pace high, I don't like slow crawling through a dungeon any more than you do if its not needed.

Finally, if I need to drink, I need to. I know it cripples tanks for threat and damage to have to wait for a mana bar to refill, but if I don't do it, I can't do much for you in that next pull. On the flipside, you should expect me to be asking for a mana break only when its genuinely necessary for you to completely stop pulling for me to recover enough mana to continue.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Tauren Paladin
Healers will respond the way they always have when their time and mana resources are too limited to deal with all the incoming damage: Triage. They'll try to keep alive who they feel they reasonably can, and still not lose the entire group. A good healer will just start dropping the people with the lowest cost/benefit ratio to the bottom of priority for healing. A DPS who is soaking a lot of damage is unlikely to live long unless I can afford to keep him alive.

What can you do for us? Awareness of the group situation. Know what you have available for CC, know how far away I am when your pulling, and how much mana I'm sitting on before you pull. Look at your chat frame periodically to make sure I'm not going afk. Generally, just good tanking habits.

Do your best to know the mechanics in the new dungeons. Don't start off pulling entire rooms, at least wait until you get a feel for the limitations of the group and the pulls in the dungeon. If you aren't confident you can hold aggro on all the mobs in a given pull, feel free to mark a target you want people to kill first. If things are going well, feel free to set and keep the pace high, I don't like slow crawling through a dungeon any more than you do if its not needed.

Finally, if I need to drink, I need to. I know it cripples tanks for threat and damage to have to wait for a mana bar to refill, but if I don't do it, I can't do much for you in that next pull. On the flipside, you should expect me to be asking for a mana break only when its genuinely necessary for you to completely stop pulling for me to recover enough mana to continue.

I couldn't have said this better myself.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
In addition to above, or to simplify, really:

Just keep mobs off of me, and watch my mana bar. To a lesser extent, try to take as little damage as possible and trust me to let that really annoying DPS die. Otherwise, let's rock and roll! :D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
DPS that AoE are liable to pull threat on multiple mobs, and I just can't taunt that many targets. How should I expect my healers to respond to this situation?

Also, is there anything that you hope your tank will do for you in these pugs?

When we first start heroics and are in blues a dps will probably get one shot if they do this. My response will be to not even try to save them and then res them afterward. They will then learn not to do it again or continue to do it and get kicked from the group.

In a pug like that all you should do is try to get the dps to understand this isn't wrath and that they, and everyone else, needs to be at least somewhat aware of what's going on around them. Until everyone is geared enough they'll also just have to l2CC and like it.

Edit: Ok if I'm on my pally and feeling benevolent I might actually save them with a salv or protection and hope the mobs charging at their face was enough of a hint that they were doing something wrong, but anyway...
Edited by Darlah on 11/25/2010 9:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Pacing is nice. Determining what's too fast or too slow is important. Other than what has been said above, you may want to allow time to explain new fights. I often ask if anyone doesn't know the fight before we go into a tough one (even in Wrath) and many people that are leveling their first character appreciate the time and explanation. So be patient with that as well. Since all the fights will be new for awhile, this can be especially helpful.

On a side note, I'm excited for more strategy! Healing can get incredibly dull when AOEing is all the group does.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
talk to us before the "hey watch this" moves
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]