Unnessicary nerf to Ret?

(Locked)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
So we're vanilla "lolret" again?
I'm sure i'm a ripple in the chaotic maelstrom that is complaints about ret changes, but if I don't complain I'll regret it if these glaring issues aren't fixed soon. That's right, fixed.
Idk what the blizzard number crunchers think balancing is, but we were already underpowered compared to mages and dps warriors. Now it seems like our trusted reliable hard hitting melee attacks have been replaced by foam therapy bats. My Crusader Strike (2nd highest dps ability pre 4.0.3) should be renamed to something feeble like Nerd Slap, as I've yet to see it enter the quintuple digits (which was commonplace pre-4.0.3). Templar's Verdict has gotten about a 25% damage nerf; I rarely see it land for over 20k. There's no reason for this; ret was hardly OP in PvE. And to top it all off, Exorcism received a 50% damage buff?

CS = 40%+ nerf?
TV = 25%+ nerf?
Exo = better than a 3 point TV? -.-

Before 4.0 went live Blizzard developers said that they wanted to make ret more rotation based and less FCFS...um did they just decide to throw that out the window? Cause all i see ret as now is a latency based RNG class; "rng" being 50ft concrete letters.

Yes, this is the same complaint that is on the Paladin forums. I just wanted to expand the demographic and get some non-paladin opinions.
85 Human Paladin
well this is new and exciting. i dont think i have seen this thread at all since tuesday.
86 Human Paladin
I think the silliest, stupidest nerf was putting Crusader Strike and Divine Storm on the same cooldown.

What were you thinking Blizzard?
86 Human Paladin
I think the silliest, stupidest nerf was putting Crusader Strike and Divine Storm on the same cooldown.

What were you thinking Blizzard?

lol they really did that? Wow. That's pretty....to put it lightly, stupid.

How would you even use divine storm to AoE if they put your main HP builder on the same CD? Was Ret AoE REALLY that strong?

Well first they nerfed DS along with all AE damage abilities. DS is only strong on multiple targets. It is no longer effective against a single target. I see no reason to tie CS to DS, one is a talented ae damage/heal deep in the ret tree, the other a baseline single target melee attack.

Tying DS to CS has rendered DS completely useless.
84 Tauren Paladin
I think that ret was fine as it was. The rotation was good and I did a decent amount of damage, while still being out-dps'd by pure DPS classes. Putting CS and DS on the same cooldown seems like a bad idea. There are times during a boss fight where I'm spending a good couple of seconds not doing anything.

Even at 85 with inquisition, we're not very good. During the beta, I had a premade 85 and he felt very weak.

At least we still make good tanks. I just hope they make us more viable as a DPS class again.
85 Human Paladin
I think that ret was fine as it was. The rotation was good and I did a decent amount of damage, while still being out-dps'd by pure DPS classes. Putting CS and DS on the same cooldown seems like a bad idea. There are times during a boss fight where I'm spending a good couple of seconds not doing anything.

Even at 85 with inquisition, we're not very good. During the beta, I had a premade 85 and he felt very weak.

At least we still make good tanks. I just hope they make us more viable as a DPS class again.

yay, looks like someone hasnt raided in cata before. take a look at most of the parses from decent guilds. most will show RET hovering around 3-5th on any given fight. Ret dps is fine and viable, our mechanics are not. If ur dps is low its a L2P issue not a class tuning issue.
Edited by Evilgopher on 11/25/2010 10:15 PM PST
85 Undead Warlock
I'm only posting because your title makes me violently angry.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret dps is fine and viable, our mechanics are not.

this is the big reason we're complaining about. not about our nerfed dps. ...it's actually ok. we're complaining about our mechanics that dont work with each other and cause extreme frustration every time we fight a mob
80 Human Warrior
All of the ret paladins who are actually good at the game that I play with are really digging this patch. They received much needed mobility buff and some stronger ranged damage at the cost of hammer of skill damage?

The problem blizzard has with retribution paladins is that half the community are clicking keyboard turners that only keybind 1 thing - the damage dealing forums so they can come cry every time they get outplayed.

FYI I just pumped 241,000 damage into a protection spec paladin and he perpetually healed himself and eventually killed me over the course of 5 minutes. If retribution's skillcap is too high for you guys crying maybe try protection for pvp, anyone can be a winner with that spec.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
...the skill cap isn't the problem mr elitist. the basic functions are. ret as a spec is frustrating as hell to try to master...which you can't btw, as long as rng rules the spec.

people thought we played "whack-a-mole" before this overhaul, get an 80 ret and watch all the procs flying across your screen, or the times where nothing happens at all. besides that, haste rules the spec. without enough of it, it's just not fun at all to play, with both our ramp-up mechanics tied directly into haste. we're going to run into the old warrior problem of weak early-game/OP end game.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Long, oddly spelt words hurt my logical brain, apologies.
Unnecessary. So can I leave forum purgatory now?
Edited by Mystearicâ on 11/26/2010 1:41 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Lol @ the big epeen full wrathful pvp warrior COMPLETELY ignoring the initial post and QQing about pre-4.0.3 HoWs because he was killed before he could skillstorm. I'm pretty sure I didn't mention the HoW nerf at all, or PvP funtionality for that matter. My complaints are aimed solely towards the nerfs to ret's 2 main dps abilities and their PvE utility. And last time I checked this isn't the PvP forum, nor are we talking about PvP.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Tiny nerfs? So huge hits to our main dps abilities is a tiny nerf now? I'd go test my dps on a dummy, but i can't seem to find one level appropriate. =(
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Are we level 85? No. So why implement changes that don't affect game play for another 2 weeks? =s
85 Human Paladin

yay, looks like someone hasnt raided in cata before. take a look at most of the parses from decent guilds. most will show RET hovering around 3-5th on any given fight. Ret dps is fine and viable, our mechanics are not. If ur dps is low its a L2P issue not a class tuning issue.

This is 100% false. I am a great ret who was in the cataclysm test from the absolute second 31 pt trees were released, there is not a single person in the world with more cataclysm experience then me, and I killed nearly ever normal boss and several heroic modes on beta. Neither me or our other ret were ever in the top 5 on fights we didn't cheese (I got second on a Halfus kill with full on cheese, still lost to a boomkin who didn't cheat).

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-on2moe0bbkumtd7l/sum/damageDone/?s=2634&e=2993

Here is a log where I played perfectly, 95%+ uptime on inquisition (on a fight where you have several breaks in combat, causing most of the inquisition loss). I was 16% behind the leader, and 11% behind the top melee (who did not play as well as me, with a significantly lower uptime).

Ret may not be the worst spec in the game at 85(in PvE, in PvP I am fairly certain it is), but it certainly isn't top5 capable in a good guild (we are 16th US), stop spewing non-sense you heard from some guy who heard from some guy who's cousin is friends with the brother of someone in Premo or some BS.

This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]