10 man healing partner for shaman

85 Draenei Shaman
With Cata right around the corner I find I really don't want to swap mains to my resto druid (which I agreed to do, alas), I still love my shaman a lot. We were going to run holy pally/resto druid (ele/resto shaman to 3 heal as needed).

It seems to me that resto shaman/holy pally is a strong combination with good direct healing and a powerful, complimentary array of aoe healing. All defensive dispels are covered, and buffs don't overlap.

But I think our raid leader really feels priest/shaman or druid/shaman is stronger and I'm worried if I ask to stay shaman he'll make my friend swap mains from the pally to a priest or druid. Am I wrong about pally/shaman being good? The off-healer being a shaman sucks, but excluding that fact what are your thoughts on pally, priest or druid as a shaman's healing partner?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Its hard to speculate without being level 85 but the way its looking any combination will be acceptable. In my shamans 10 man groups I dual healed with both a pally and Druid for several weeks and the main difference was I tank healed a bit more with the Druid and raid healed a bit more with the pally. In cata the healing roles are less defined so as I said, any combination should work. My advise is to talk to your RL and make sure everyone is playing what they enjoy the most and are good at, instead of focusing on raid comp.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I used to heal exclusively in 10mans with a good druid when i was hardcore progression in Ulduar. It was quite good with him and i liked how our heals worked out together.

For fights that needed it we often had a priest suppliment us and occasionally a paladin instead. To be honest i think the paladin REALLY worked with us on heavy damage fights because druids and shaman were more lsightly geared toward aoe and pally was pro tank healer.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I like druid\shaman or priest\shaman over paladin\shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm actually looking at the exact same situation myself, Pally/Shaman, though I'm the Paladin and thus the variable. The way I look at it is that the Paladin still rocks great Tank heals and great throughput. We still have Beacon. I'll still count as slightly more than 1 healer. I'll still keep the tanks covered and alive and the Shaman will raid heal. The only concern I have is a lack of mobility, which I'd say Shamans and Paladins are the weakest at. It's much improved over Wrath, definitely, but still kinda eh. IMO, you should stick with your Shaman if it's what you prefer. Playing a healer you don't like that much blows, and your performance will suffer as will your enjoyment. Talk to your buddy and see how hard-set he is on being a Paladin. He may be having second thoughts himself. If not, prepare to explain to the raid leader how strong the throughput will be and how mobility concerns will be managed. Good luck in either case. :D

Personally, my options were Paladin or Priest. I'm still kind of leaning towards Priest, but I'm not happy with Disc and I'm extremely worried about Holy's mana efficiency. (All that said, if the Shaman swaps classes, I'm going Shaman and I'd really rather go Shaman due to Telluric Currents, but I'm not really attached to anything anymore.) All this is FWIW.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Shaman are fairly well rounded, they can handle either tank or raid healing. As such they can get along with most healers. My 2 cents is you'll want either a pally or a priest though, as the weakness of a shaman is their lack of external CD's.

Most fights are supposed to require 3 healers anyways, and since our heals will generally hit for much less and health pools became much higher, keeping up with a boss doing 60k melee hits will keep a few healers occupied while allowing for the tank to survive for 5 seconds without direct heals.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Shaman are fairly well rounded, they can handle either tank or raid healing. As such they can get along with most healers. My 2 cents is you'll want either a pally or a priest though, as the weakness of a shaman is their lack of external CD's.

Most fights are supposed to require 3 healers anyways, and since our heals will generally hit for much less and health pools became much higher, keeping up with a boss doing 60k melee hits will keep a few healers occupied while allowing for the tank to survive for 5 seconds without direct heals.

dont need CDs when you have awesome tanks and healers :D
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Shaman have lousy mobility for healing, which I think is probably their largest issue. They also have lousy emergency abilities.

A Druid or Priest would be better partners, they have the mobility that a Shaman so badly lacks and would really round you out for more mobile fights.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
With the addition of Word of Glory, Light of Dawn, Holy Shock castable while moving. Arguably Paladins will be the most mobile healers in Cata.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman

Ummmm....
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Holy Pally and Resto Shaman would be powerful but you will have Mobility Issues as one of the posters above have Stated already. The pally Mastery will be nice for Mitigating Damage and saving heal time but unfortunately it wont be on the same level as a Disc Priest. Currently we run Disc/Shaman. Its a very nice combination and it allows us the mobility we require by having shields instead of hots. Unlike the poster above me who, i dont know if they do play a shaman or not, was mistaken we have an emergency heal (Healing Surge) which although mana inefficient is a nice .9 - 1.1 Second cast which is very nice its also rather large. Basara Is correct that Paladins will be very mobile in Cata but that puts a lot of stress on them if they are the only mobile Healer. So its all up to how you feel your group can work.

Basically running a Pally/Shaman combo would work, ive seen the Beta Raids and from what i can tell there would be many advantages to this combo. I run from time to time with a Pally/Shaman and even during ICC Hardmode Progression we were able to 2 heal even the most difficult of fights. When we are talking Cata Progression you might need the 3rd healer just until everyone learns the fights and gets out of the starting raid blues. Shaman/Pally/Anything works well.

Also, Druids have lost a lot of their ability to spam hots so they will be less Raid Healers and focus more on a target by Target basis. While they are great raid healers its not the same as it was in Wrath, just like everything has changed since wrath so you cant judge them or any Healing class too harshly until we hit 85.

Last note.

Bad, Just. No. I hope this was a joke and i shall give you the benefit of the doubt.

If you have anymore Questions or if you raid leader wishes to debate it because im sure they will. You can find me Horde Side on Lightninghoof Always open for a chat.
Edited by Druzza on 11/27/2010 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]