First time healer: Too freaking hectic, Help!

85 Tauren Druid
#1 prioritize and #2 practice, once you learn what to do in the oh SH*% moments you'll be fine. It takes some tries to learn the optimal heal/danger/time combinations. I have about 3 or 4 combinations of oh SH*^ buttons on my druid, depending on who/how many have damage and how quickly that damage is coming.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
The best advice I got as a new healer was to just go run multiple Alterac Valleys. No one really has a legitimate expectation of getting a heal from any specific healer and there are strong PVE elements as well, such as the boss fights that require some tank healing. You can mess around with different healing strategies, change key bindings and generally experiment on live players without the guilt of wiping a dungeon group with your noobness. Best of all, having live players gunning for you will force you to increase your ability to heal with more situation awareness.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
As for people failing to heal Terenas, I though that was Tirion? And that's more a failure of people not understanding fight mechanics than clicking.

Tirion's the guy stuck in the ice block, Terenas is the ghost you encounter when you're drawn into Frostmourne, and yes, I'm quite sure about this. And no, it's not a failure to understand mechanics. If you rely entirely on clicking your healbot to heal, then when you get drawn into Frostmourne, you can find yourself faced with Terenas in need of heals, and no bar to click on. Then you die, LK enrages, and cockdrops the tank.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think it might not be the best way to put it, as it seems to encourage non-click healing on things other than two or three extremely situational fights in the game.

I'm not saying don't click heal except in a few situations. I'm saying use click healing for what it's particularly good at: things that require you to react quickly.

Example, someone takes a damage spike, I quickly right click to drop a riptide on them. Someone gets a debuff on them, I use my thumb button to cleanse. These are things click healing is good for. Yes, I use click heals in every encounter, but 90% of my healing is still done using hotkeys.

This is mostly objectionable for a healer. I hardly ever need to use the mouse when I heal since you don't need to be facing the target. Strafing and minimal corrections will most of the time get you through the fight.

That kind of thing doesn't usually fly when dodging multiple exploding things, adds, and aoes like on, say, heroic lady deathwhisper (also, Firefighter). I'd like to see you navigate between multiple defiles without stepping in either when theres barely enough space to step between them while click healing. I won't even go into how badly that would go wrong on an encounter like Yogg. Losing precision means making mistakes, and when success or failure hinges on movement, it doesn't fly. I say this, because 9 times out of 10, I'm healer who's still standing when the others died to AoEs, which is part of what makes me valuable to my raid team. If every fight was Saurfang or normal mode Festergut, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
This is mostly objectionable for a healer. I hardly ever need to use the mouse when I heal since you don't need to be facing the target. Strafing and minimal corrections will most of the time get you through the fight.

That kind of thing doesn't usually fly when dodging multiple exploding things, adds, and aoes like on, say, heroic lady deathwhisper (also, Firefighter). I'd like to see you navigate between multiple defiles without stepping in either when theres barely enough space to step between them while click healing.

Well, I managed both (N LK and HM lady DW) while click healing, but point taken. At that point though (active movement) you normally won't be healing either click healing or not, since you still need to click to target anything except your party.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's definitely important to learn all three ways of responding (click healing, pre-targeted macros, click selecting and kbinding), just I don't find that it's click healing that will prevent you from navigating around if you can switch back and forth, as when you have to completely forsake clicking in favour of movement, you won't be doing anything except pre-targeted/focused heals anyway.

Unless you know of a way to target an arbitrary raid member between 25 people while mouse moving that I don't know of.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

That kind of thing doesn't usually fly when dodging multiple exploding things, adds, and aoes like on, say, heroic lady deathwhisper (also, Firefighter). I'd like to see you navigate between multiple defiles without stepping in either when theres barely enough space to step between them while click healing.

Well, I managed both (N LK and HM lady DW) while click healing, but point taken. At that point though (active movement) you normally won't be healing either click healing or not, since you still need to click to target anything except your party.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's definitely important to learn all three ways of responding (click healing, pre-targeted macros, click selecting and kbinding), just I don't find that it's click healing that will prevent you from navigating around if you can switch back and forth, as when you have to completely forsake clicking in favour of movement, you won't be doing anything except pre-targeted/focused heals anyway.

Unless you know of a way to target an arbitrary raid member between 25 people while mouse moving that I don't know of.

Ctrl + tab, F1-F5, and /target Focus macros all work, but what I'm talking about is the difference between taking half a second to switch targets with the mouse then go back to steering rather than steering for half a second then going back to furiously click peoples bars. You don't have to not click anything at all to move properly, but you do have to prioritize movement over the ability to click at times. Can also set your mousewheel to scroll through raid members if that's easier for you.

Edit: Also, in regards to the "You normally won't be healing at that point", I only run between defiles like that to save a tank or harvest soul victim, lol, so yeah, I am healing while I'm doing it. The H LDW situation I mentioned, I was healing two tanks and the raid. Firefighter, I was the only healer up in P3, can bet your ass I was healing while running from the **#*storm. As an aside, those were all successful kills, too ;)
Edited by Niraada on 12/1/2010 8:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I love when people who dps/tank finally make a healer and see what we have to deal with. Warms my heart. That said, I see a lot of people talking about how they heal, addons etc.

I use grid with mouseover macros. Tempted to try out vuhdo but when something works perfectly fine for me why switch? The macro I use will do the following:
1. Character is selected, heals them.
2. Mouse is over name on grid, heals them.
3. Mouse isn't over any name, no one targeted, heals me.
All in that order. So say I have the tank selected, and my mouse over a dps name on grid. It will heal the tank. No one selected, mouse over someone on grid, it will heal them. If I need to heal myself, I just move my mouse away from grid and not have anyone targeted. There is never a point where I can't heal someone.

I am a button pusher. I use my mouse to change direction. My left hand stays on 2345 and I will use 1-6 + t as healing spells. Thats 7 buttons I can hit with 4 fingers easily, and also w + s to run foward and backwards if need be. Only thing that will be difficult for me is SWG. But I'll figure it out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
To the OP:

First, take everyone's advice about using some sort of healing addon. It will make your job MUCH easier.

Second, understand that it is very tough to take on a healing spec at the higher levels and suddenly be thrown into very challenging healing situations. At this point in the game, most tanks and dps'ers (and even a lot of healers) expect quick runs, meaning they will charge in and pull everything. For someone new to healing, this is a HUGE challenge. But, unless you tell them otherwise, they just assume that you've been healing for a while and can handle it. I found that out the hard way when I finally took resto as my dual-spec on my kitty feral druid. It was so bad that I just stuck with feral.

With this priest, I've been disc from day one. I learned the skills and the spells on a natural progression, which makes it much easier.

So, either stick with it and eventually you will pick it up, or roll another toon and take a healing spec from the start. Either way, soon enough you'll get the hang of it. In the meantime, make sure you let your PUG know to take it slow because you are new to healing and don't sweat the nerd rage you will occasionally face.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I started way back using Healbot, but eventually picked up the grid+clique combo. I switched slowly completely to grid+clique when I wanted small frames that didn't break following a disconnect and did not need changing after every patch. Today, I really rather like the built-in raid frames, so I've managed to pare down my healing add-ons to just clique. Clique has turned out to be quite useful for all my debuffing and buffing on any class I use. Clique also tends to still be functional without being updated after most patches.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Clique also tends to still be functional without being updated after most patches.

Everyone I've talked to in-game has found this to be true except me. For some odd reason, 4.0.1 broke all of my middle mouse button click binds. I discovered this accidentally on my first heroic run immediately after the patch. Suddenly finding that you don't have some of your most important heals in the middle of a fight sucks!

I use Healbot now and it is pretty stable for me. But, again, for some strange reason I will occasionally lose my middle button binds. Fortunately, logging in and out fixes it. I just have to make sure I test them before entering every instance. I haven't tried pinpointing the problem, but I think it has something to do with switching specs. It must just be something weird with my computer.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
When I go into a dungeon on any of my healing toons (Priest and shaman, Though I've healed with every healer) I make sure that the tank is my main priority. Keep the tank alive and you will stay alive. If a dps is retarded and pulls off the tank or pulls a group before the tank I let them die. It's their own fault that they are stupid and nothing you can do can fix it. If a dps is giving me issues by blaming me for their deaths I plainly state that I don't heal retards, If you are going to pull a group of mobs before the tank does you deserve to die. I am not going to pull myself into combat and die for your impatience.

To be honest I hate healing mods, I used clique for a while and tried healbot for all of a day. It made things way to faceroll easy. I like a challenge and those mods take away the challenge of healing. Though I do love decursive micro frames. Those little buggers are the most amazing things ever.

I do however suggest sticking with it. I've been healing since vanilla release so I've been at it a while. My class sometimes changes but I always end up back to healing. It takes practice and a certain mindframe to keep at healing for any length of time. Stick with it, you can only get better with practice. :D
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Stupid OOPS message....
Edited by Shaiahni on 12/1/2010 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Anyone else getting an error message when they post saying it didn't post but it really did so spam the same message like 12 times?

If you don't you're lucky because it's super annoying.
Edited by Shaiahni on 12/1/2010 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, failing in heroics is one thing, but failing in raids is another, especially if you're assigned the main-tank healer.

Before the holy paladin overhaul, paladins were dedicated tank healers and I was (un)lucky enough to be always assigned the main tank healer. Ages ago, being new to raiding in a new guild who was at the pointy end of Naxx-25, I was definitely thrown into the deep end when assigned MT healer for Kel'Thuzad for their first kill, especially after lying about my spellpower to actually get in in the first place. Needless to say there were many wipes. To my surprise they stuck with me.

Perhaps the worst experience as MT-healing was in Ulduar-25 progression. The damage came so thick and fast that if I missed even a single spell cast due to being in the wrong position or even just mis-queuing a heal after a GCD, the tank would die and I would be responsible for the ensuing wipe (as it should). Each raid night I'd lose brain cells over the stress of it all, knowing that one wrong move means death for the entire raid.

Not all of it was bad; being involved in first boss kills for the guild or even just completing challenging encounters and knowing you contributed to the guild's success is very meaningful, and it was at that point where I realised that the the guild actually trusted me at MT healing and would ask no other healer or holy paladin to do it, and I'm forever grateful for my old guild for giving me such a responsibility. It's the kind of thing that drives my healing passion. The trust between you as the healer, the people you heal and the raid leader/guild master.

So my conclusion: failing heroics is not bad. It's bad when you constantly wipe raids in progression fights because you let the MT die due to one bad spell cast. Oh the burden of paladin healing pre-4.0. As long as you communicate and discuss healing issues then there should be no problem.

Believe me, after all the trauma I've been through in being personally responsible for the MT in Naxx, Ulduar, ToC and LK 25, it has definitely made me a better healer :D

Hang in there, because after all the !@#@ you'll go through like my last 15 or so months, you'll be a better healer in the end.

---
I use mouse-over macros and the standard Blizzard Raid-UI for healing and I've had no issues with healing or monitoring buffs/debuffs (aside from the tank being insta-gibbed which Blizz realised was a terrible flaw in encounter design for healing).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Apologies, double post (it said something was broken when it wasn't)
Edited by Matisse on 12/1/2010 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Healing is easy enough as it is. I personally think it is the easiest role in the game to play, but also the most fun. Grid + Clique makes healing a simple mini game of picking which spell to use in order to most effectively fill up the little colored boxes.

Granted, I have been healing for 2 years at this point and I am used to it by now. I remember when I started out I was actually enhancement, and I healed a Shadowfang Keep run. After that, I was hooked.

I would not worry too much about healing being difficult, seeing as blizzard wants healing to be much less bursty and more about not being OOM. From what I've heard from people on the beta, healing feels like you are getting weaker as you level up, even while making gear upgrades.

I would much rather see healing stay the same as it is currently, I enjoy having burst moments in fights and periods where insane amounts of damage go out. I like knowing that if I miss a chain heal or pick a bad target to start the chain heal off on, the raid could very possibly wipe.

But this is just turning into a rant about healing changes, in short: don't worry about it. Healing well comes with experience, I expect you should have it down in no less than two weeks.

TL;DR: Get addons, healing will be more slow paced in cata (from what I have heard), just practice
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm glad to see there area a few other like minded people when it comes to add-ons. And as I'm seeing in some of the posts here, they do break at times, which forces you to restart, or do re download, or unbug...its just annoying.

Blah, I'm not gonna rant about it. Good discussion overall, nice to see a forum thats actually staying on topic instead of devolving into QQ.

/Salute
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Woe
The best advice I got as a new healer was to just go run multiple Alterac Valleys.

This. Hopping into an AV or IOC is insanely good practice for getting used to your healing ui and keybinds, learning decursing, getting some practice using the cooldowns you probably will never have to in (wotlk) heroics, and getting used to the new 'triage' style of healing where you have to deal with trying to keep the most useful people alive in a slaughterhouse environment.

To this day, whenever i have a new 80 that i'm going to start raid healing on or am trying out a new grid setup or something, i test drive it in a big bg.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
If you stick with it long enough it'll become just as mindless/effortless depending on the content you're doing.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Sorry but I just checked your gear and how are you having problems healing 5mans?
I have a shaman, in a lot of blues and earth shield on the tank plus riptide every once in awhile is all I need. I get so bored I sometimes dps or watch a movie.
In your gear earth shield and healing totem for the group and go afk...

If your lucky and get a geared pally, healing totem is all you need... lol pallys
Edited by Icyfingers on 12/2/2010 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]