Ele shaman - offhand weapon or shield

85 Undead Warlock
I just started playing my alt elemental shaman and noticed that that we can dual wield. Since I can put Flametongue on my offhand weapon is there any reason why I should go weapon/shield instead of weapon/weapon?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
KVN
If we can dual wield it's a bug. Only enhance should be able to.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
As far as I know, you can dual wield if your alternate spec is Enhance. When you switch specs, your offhand weapon will still be equipped.

However, you don't use the offhand so it sits there useless (you actually get the icon indicating a broken weapon, even though it's not broken).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
This is the toon
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Duskwood&cn=Demishammy

She only has one spec and the weapon works fine. She has been elemental since 4.0 came out and I have only used weapon/weapon. She definitely gets the stats from both the weapon and from flametongue.

I would not be surprised if this is a bug but it is currently functioning this way.

Here is a second elemental shammy dual-wielding.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Uldum&cn=Alissia
Edited by Konradkoln on 11/27/2010 7:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
this has ot be a bug, especially seeing enh lvl 10 ability is to dual wield. Even back in the day in order to shamakazi, you had to go down enh to grab dual wield

tried it on live, didn't try respecing enh first, then swapping to ele, but imagine that was how it was done. OH wpeaon should turn red at that point, simular to a fury warrior swapping to arms looses both weapons, until they unequip and re-equip MH
Edited by Okaithul on 11/27/2010 8:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Thats great and all, but i can't think of a caster weapon off the top of my head that isn't Main hand only.

So while the bug may be cool and all, you are, in fact, nerfing yourself
Edited by Arema on 11/28/2010 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Troll Hunter
Thats great and all, but i can't think of a caster weapon off the top of my head that isn't Main hand only.

How? I don't know too many shields or offhands that give nearly as much spellpower as flametongue weapon does. It doesn't matter what stats you have on your offhand, flametongue is the important part.

@OP, don't get used to it, it's bound to get fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman

They were all changed to MH only back in 2.+. When we were running around with two Maelstrom's Fury and the Shamakazi build.

If Ele were allowed to dual wield (which will never happen, its a bug currently) any OH weapon would be an upgrade, especially an OH with decent blue stats. Seeing FTW is always more SP then that available with a shield or OH. Even more so at lvl 85, when FTW is 747 spell power, and the ilvl436 epic OH has 386 int.

Though Shamakazi was fun, stack all the melee, SP buffs possible for a premade bg, and pop 8200 crit LB at lvl 70.
Edited by Okaithul on 11/28/2010 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Seems to be working as intended.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I made four tickets about this and finally got confirmation that this is not a bug. Personally I think the GM actually had no idea but he told me that as of right now, this is not a bug.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
When the whole spec into DW then dump the rest in ele thing worked, it only worked because you were duel wielding two caster one hands, and you had flame tongue on both. This gave you a large SP jump on other casters, and made it somewhat viable. However, they made all caster one hands MH weapons. So even if this bug persists, you are not gaining the combined SP contribution of a caster one hand + flame-tongue, merely just the sp flame-tongue has to offer. Thus, you will really only gain some ~200 sp, at the cost of lost durability, haste, crit and other caster stats. You will also gain useless melee stats.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
When the whole spec into DW then dump the rest in ele thing worked, it only worked because you were duel wielding two caster one hands, and you had flame tongue on both. This gave you a large SP jump on other casters, and made it somewhat viable. However, they made all caster one hands MH weapons. So even if this bug persists, you are not gaining the combined SP contribution of a caster one hand + flame-tongue, merely just the sp flame-tongue has to offer. Thus, you will really only gain some ~200 sp, at the cost of lost durability, haste, crit and other caster stats. You will also gain useless melee stats.

Take a look at my offhand. With a gem slot and weapon enchant I gain 83 spell power. Flametongue adds another 270ish. I gain around 300 spell power and lose 100 or so haste, crit and mastery rating, and I could make up for most of that if I used my heroic melee offhand, I just don't want to lose my only good enhance weapon. I think it is dumb that a pvp offhand is better for pve dps than my heroic shield, but it is unquestionably better.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I made four tickets about this and finally got confirmation that this is not a bug. Personally I think the GM actually had no idea but he told me that as of right now, this is not a bug.

Yeah, GM has to be wrong about that.

When you initially choose enhancement, you get Lava Lash, Primal Wisdom, and Dual Wield. This would imply that the other specs would NOT have Dual Wield. I'd throw this on the bug forum and see if they say anything.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

Take a look at my offhand. With a gem slot and weapon enchant I gain 83 spell power. Flametongue adds another 270ish. I gain around 300 spell power and lose 100 or so haste, crit and mastery rating, and I could make up for most of that if I used my heroic melee offhand, I just don't want to lose my only good enhance weapon. I think it is dumb that a pvp offhand is better for pve dps than my heroic shield, but it is unquestionably better.

Damn forgot about sp chant and gem.

Well it's not really that stupid considering you aren't supposed to be able to do it, meaning they dont want shields to give massive sp bonus'.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

Damn forgot about sp chant and gem.

Well it's not really that stupid considering you aren't supposed to be able to do it, meaning they dont want shields to give massive sp bonus'.

And the flametongue glyph gives +2% crit for each weapon so +4% total.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
sounds like a bug, probably will be nerfed in short order.

its popped up a few times since TBC, it gets nerfed quickly everytime the bug comes back.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

You realize that most GMs are the same kind of people you get when you call up Dell Tech Support?

"Is your computer plugged in?"
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

You realize that most GMs are the same kind of people you get when you call up Dell Tech Support?

"Is your computer plugged in?"

Yes... this is part of the problem. No blues have ever responded on this issue though, so what the GM told me is the only evidense I have to go on.

Edit: I think I figured it out! When you spec enhance, you learn dual wield along with all the enhance spells. However, dual wield goes in your general ability tab, not the enhance tab. When you change specs, you lose the enhance spells, but the game doesn't take away dual wield, I'm assuming because it isn't in the enhancement section of your spellbook. Or at any rate the game is just failing to make you un-learn dual wield. This should explain why players who have never been enhance, at least since 4.0, can't dual wield, but anyone who was at least temporarily enhance since then can now dual wield in any spec.
Edited by Earthshox on 11/30/2010 9:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Blade of the Unrequited used to be the caster OH for dual wield ele... because of 3 sockets

http://www.wowhead.com/item=28572

i dont know if its a bug or not but hey if its working go for it
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Blade of the Unrequited used to be the caster OH for dual wield ele... because of 3 sockets

http://www.wowhead.com/item=28572

i dont know if its a bug or not but hey if its working go for it

Well the best choice now is heroic havoc's call, but as that is slightly hard to get, I'd say the next best option that most shamans could actually pick up is Heroic Keleseth's seducer. I have one but it's already enchanted for actual melee dps.

The PvP offhand axe, despite having no useful stat besides relatively little crit rating and one gem socket, is still about 200sp better than the heroic caster shield from ICC. It seems very stupid to me that this works, but still no blue comments, so who knows wtf is going on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]