Dear Blizzard: Retribution Mastery

90 Human Paladin
Dear Blizzard.

This is something in the nature of a plea. Mastery is a great concept, in that it is one stat every class should be able to agree upon and like, and that its effects are unique to each class. This is a great design, and it is a, pardon the pun, masterful new stat for the new expansion.

So it saddens me greatly that Ret Pallys at 85 will be actively working to avoid any Mastery on their gear whatsoever. According to Redcape, of Elitist Jerks fame, at level 80 Mastery is worth 1/7th the DPS as an equal amount of Strength is. At 85, this gets worse, to 1/8th. This means that we would have to receive 8 points of Mastery to equal the DPS equivalent of a single point of Strength.

Such a huge disparity in stat weights is simply bad design, and I hope that you, Blizzard, see this and do something, anything, to make this stat better for Retribution.

A suggestion of my own would be to change our Mastery to place a DoT on the target that deals XX% of the damage done by your last Templars Verdict as Holy damage, over, say, 3 seconds, with each point of Mastery increasing the percentage done by XX.

This would reinforce Templars Verdict as the center point of our rotation, and would give a small boost to the value of Inquisition as well, which currently is coming across as a bit lackluster.

Thank you for reading,
Regards,

Tyresious

Edit: Spelling
Edited by Tyresious on 11/28/2010 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just looked around in the forums a bit, and found out I'm not the only one advocating a TV DoT. Durn'it, and here I was thinking I was being creative. Ah well, it's still a good idea.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
So it saddens me greatly that Ret Pallys at 85 will be actively working to avoid any Mastery on their gear whatsoever. According to Redcape, of Elitist Jerks fame, at level 80 Mastery is worth 1/7th the DPS as an equal amount of Strength is. At 85, this gets worse, to 1/8th. This means that we would have to receive 8 points of Mastery to equal the DPS equivalent of a single point of Strength.

Such a huge disparity in stat weights is simply bad design, and I hope that you, Blizzard, see this and do something, anything, to make this stat better for Retribution.

He didn't happen to compare it to other secondary stats like crit or haste, did he?

As he's comparing a primary stat to a secondary stat, it's no real surprise that strength pulled ahead and, since all of a ret's gear will have strength on it regardless, there's no real point to his comparison as the two stats never directly compete (unless there's competing enchants I'm unaware of).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
that is a good point. and while im unsure of the stat weights in comparison to haste or crit, i do know for certain that it is the lowest stat on the totem pole in terms of DPS value.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
too bad a dot sucks for pvp due to use of repentance. If they made repentance wipe the dot that would be one thing but currently mastery works quite well for pvp purposes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]