Best DPS for 5 man PvE dungeon runs?

100 Undead Warlock
Hi all,

My guild has it all, and I enjoy most every class I've played (w/ the exception of Hunters), so what do you all think, what's the consensus, what single class and spec brings the DPS for 5 man dungeon runs?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
The competent one.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
fury warriors ftw. im always top dps in randoms everyone is doing like 4 or 5k im doing 7 or 8 usually
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Warrior
In cata where CC will be important fury warriors will be less wanted.

Mage is the best DPS for mans, always has been always will be.
Reply Quote
In cata where CC will be important fury warriors will be less wanted.

Fury warriors will make great offtanks, especially with Die by the Sword to fall back on.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Good feedback, thanks for the help.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Any others care to chime in? I really appreciate the constructive feedback.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Warlocks with the new glyph for fear (makes opp cower in place) coupled with seduction can keep two locked down pretty easily. Warlocks will be great CC for Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
It really doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I'd have to ask why you want to know. It's not like 5 mans are tough. And just like raids, it's going to depend on the circumstances of the situation at hand to determine who's better.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
If CC is as strong as it was in the beta, you'll want a strong CC class. That means either warlock or shaman.

With the new glyph, almost all targets can be feared safely, and the ones who can't can be banished or enslaved. If you go with shaman, Hex is a very strong CC that doesn't break on accidental damage, and the new Bind Elemental is huge in cataclysm dungeons.

From what I saw on the beta, polymorph quite frankly blows. It breaks on a sneeze and doesn't work on undead, dragonkin, elementals, etc. Humanoids are extremely uncommon in cata dungeons. Expect to see a huge number of dragonkin and elementals, though, making warlocks your best bet, and shamans a close second.

If DPS is your main concern, it doesn't really matter, as all classes will be able to provide competent DPS for a five man group.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
If CC is as strong as it was in the beta, you'll want a strong CC class. That means either warlock or shaman.

With the new glyph, almost all targets can be feared safely, and the ones who can't can be banished or enslaved. If you go with shaman, Hex is a very strong CC that doesn't break on accidental damage, and the new Bind Elemental is huge in cataclysm dungeons.

From what I saw on the beta, polymorph quite frankly blows. It breaks on a sneeze and doesn't work on undead, dragonkin, elementals, etc. Humanoids are extremely uncommon in cata dungeons. Expect to see a huge number of dragonkin and elementals, though, making warlocks your best bet, and shamans a close second.

If DPS is your main concern, it doesn't really matter, as all classes will be able to provide competent DPS for a five man group.

This is incredibly helpful info, thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Any new thoughts on this thread now that Cata's been out for a bit?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Why are you min-maxing for a goddamn 5 man? Just pick a class and don't mess things up. Tada.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
12/15/2010 10:42 AMPosted by Communism
Why are you min-maxing for a goddamn 5 man? Just pick a class and don't mess things up. Tada.

dirt + nap = dirtnap ... take one to calm down.

Seriously though, I have the ability to CC 2 mobs and do damn good DPS as a SV Hunter. Not sure if this helps but I haven't had anyone top me as of yet, even if I am on multi CC duty.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
I can CC beast/dragonkin as feral then insta root a mele. Cyclone is kinda bad in PvE but it's ok too.

Moo
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
our guild groups ive been running have consisted of several classes.

Quite frankly, it seems that the class that puts out the highest pure DPS is not my favorite.

Most cata 5-mans are chock full of humanoids or beasts, so a rogue is invaluable since sapped targets wont pull patrolling mobs, and it can be glyphed to last THREE MINUTES. Blind is a good temp CC and Rogues have more interupts than any other class which is nice for those mobs that nearly one shot the tank if they are allowed to cast. Combine that all with their incredible survivability: Vanish and evasion are old standards, but Combat readiness can Really help you healer out during periods of constant damage, basically cutting the damage the rogue takes in half. Cloak of Shadows is Awesome for those periods when they need to "stand in the fire" briefly, or can be popped to conveniently absorb a hard hitting nuke from a boss. Taking no damage from the dragon's breath weapon in vortex, or sloughing off 90% of the damage from omega stance is pretty worthwhile.

Warlocks are ridiculous if need be, at juggling multi-target CC. between Banish, glyphed fear, charm, etc..... plus tossing out phatty healthstones is a load off even a good healer.

Shaman are amazing due to their new elemental shackle and hex seeming to be much sturdier than sheep ATM. It seems ele shaman are suffering from Mana issues but who isnt at this point. They make up for this with self healing and Bloodlust.

Those three are probably my favorite combo at the moment for a fully rounded group. On top of all the utility, our shaman and Rogue(s) are pushing 8-10k dps during heroic 5mans.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Best DPS / CC are warlock, rogue, and shaman. Mages are okay. Mage dps needs to go up a bit thou.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
SV hunters right now probably do highest or close to highest single target DPS as well as bringing two forms of CC and the ability to cover missing buffs with pets. It's not often in the cycles of WoW that hunters are in such a spot so enjoy it while we can.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]