Best single target healing?

85 Troll Druid
check a disc priest's buffs to single target healing and tell me pallies are better.

Pallies are better.

See what I did there?
Edited by Outiluke on 11/30/2010 8:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
pallies have never beenn the best single target healers fyi, they're the best tank healers cause they can heal two at a time with beacon. check a disc priest's buffs to single target healing and tell me pallies are better. disc has around 4-6 different buffs which proc regularly on the target, helping keep him alive.

Place a holy paladin and a disc priest in front of a person that needs healing. A holy paladin will get that person to 100% faster than a disc priest. This was the case in WoTLK and appears so in the beta.

Does this make them better tank healers? NO. BUT single target effective healing, holy paladin excel, then you have to consider mitigation such as PWS. God why are all these healers so insecure, its like being back in high school
Edited by Xjennyxxi on 11/30/2010 6:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
ALL CLASSES CAN HEAL FINE. Some just do healing better than others.

Fix't
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Death Knight
I have seen no numbers from 85 so I can't say what end-game will be like.

But pure, raw hps at level 80 was:

Holy Paladin > Disc Priest > Resto Druid >= Resto Shaman > Holy Priest

Pure HPS is no way to judge who is the better healer. Mana Efficiency, Overhealing done, reaction to different boss mechanics, and positioning. That puts Holy Priests and Resto Shaman at the top of the list for healers, since both have a wide array of smart heals, controlled AoE healing, consistent strong healing in situations, and defensive cooldowns. WG's mana cost is more intense than Circle of healing and Chain heal. Prayer of Mending and Earth Shield are two of the most effective healing spells, doing almost no overhealing to their targets. Both of their masteries increase their healing capabilities dramatically and are not role specific, like Resto Druids's Symbiosis(which supports just throwing more hots on everyone purely to get bigger numbers while draining their mana pool). Paladin's have nothing but direct heals, and while their mastery does provide a nice damage buffer, they constantly overheal their targets.
A holy Priests different Chakra states and a Resto Shaman's wire array of spells allow for more situational specific heals while conserving their mana. Paladin's Divine plea supports heal spamming since they can get most of their mana back in a few seconds of down time, and Druid's Revitalize promotes spamming Rejuv and Lifebloom on as many targets as they can.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Pure HPS is no way to judge who is the better healer. Mana Efficiency, Overhealing done, reaction to different boss mechanics, and positioning. That puts Holy Priests and Resto Shaman at the top of the list for healers, since both have a wide array of smart heals, controlled AoE healing, consistent strong healing in situations, and defensive cooldowns.

I don't understand your logic here. "Reaction to different boss mechanics" is in the player, not the class. As to a "wide array of smart heals," Shaman have the smallest array of actual heals. Yeah, the passive healing from Healing Stream, Earth Shield, Ancestral Awakening, Earthliving, etc is great, but it works by itself and isn't controlled by the player. And what defensive cooldowns do Shaman and Priests have? I know Priests have ONE, Guardian Angel... As for positioning, Resto Druids take the cake as the most mobile healer in the game.

WG's mana cost is more intense than Circle of healing and Chain heal. Prayer of Mending and Earth Shield are two of the most effective healing spells, doing almost no overhealing to their targets. Both of their masteries increase their healing capabilities dramatically and are not role specific, like Resto Druids's Symbiosis(which supports just throwing more hots on everyone purely to get bigger numbers while draining their mana pool). Paladin's have nothing but direct heals, and while their mastery does provide a nice damage buffer, they constantly overheal their targets.

I also have problems with the statements here. First off, Chain Heal has no cooldown. WG has a 10 second cooldown. There are many, many, many situations that Chainheal will be more mana intensive as a result of spam. As for increasing healing capabilities "dramatically," you can't be serious. Resto Shaman mastery is not good, Holy Priest's is great yeah but there's nothing dramatic about it, and it is 99% overhealing in current content. Symbiosis is built around tank healing, so you're again misinformed. Refreshing hots doesn't trigger the mastery, so it has nothing to do with hot spamming the raid, and everything to do with keeping as many hots as possible ticking on a tank. As a result, Druids are going to be phenomenal tank healers in Cata. As for paladins, they DO have AoE heal now, and Cataclysm will result in MUCH less overhealing, if any at all, due to the immense health pools.

A holy Priests different Chakra states and a Resto Shaman's wire array of spells allow for more situational specific heals while conserving their mana. Paladin's Divine plea supports heal spamming since they can get most of their mana back in a few seconds of down time, and Druid's Revitalize promotes spamming Rejuv and Lifebloom on as many targets as they can.

There you go with "Resto Shaman's wide array of spells." Are you serious? Chain heal, riptide, and if they're feeling super productive a healing wave/surge once in a while. I don't count passive healing, bud.

Your final statement really exposes your ignorance, and it's quite obvious you only play a Priest and Shaman since this entire post reeks of class bias. Lifebloom can only be cast on ONE target now, and Revitalize was nerfed into the ground to the point that Rejuv is situational. It can't be spammed at all.

And in case you're wondering if I'm bias, I have TWO Shaman, a priest, this druid, and am currently working on my holy pally.
Edited by Outiluke on 11/30/2010 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
I think the idea that Pallies will be the pre-eminent Tank healer again is misguided. Blizzard is designing around 10 man Raids. That's why we have all the Buff homogenization and the healer homogenization.

Holy Priests actually have more single target output potential than Pallies right now. Plus offer the Inspiration Buff. They also have one of the strongest Tank healing CD's with Guardian Spirit.

Shaman will be better on wounded Tanks due to Mastery, have Earth Shield, Earthliving and Riptide HoT's, two instant casts with Riptide and Unleashed Weapons plus the Ancestral Healing Buff.

Pally's have the flexibility of healing the Raid with Beacon on the Tank. It's more in line with Earth Shield now though due to the 50% transfer. They also have strong instant heals, Hand of Sacrifice for mitigation and Lay on Hands for Oh Crap! moments.

I would take any of those three to Tank heal without blinking an eye. I'm not as savvy about Druids and Disc Priests but from what I've been reading they are just as viable Tank healers as the above three specs.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Priest
pallies have never beenn the best single target healers fyi, they're the best tank healers cause they can heal two at a time with beacon. check a disc priest's buffs to single target healing and tell me pallies are better. disc has around 4-6 different buffs which proc regularly on the target, helping keep him alive.

Beacon was added in wrath so that right there more or less makes your point invalid. As well seeing as how for the last 6 years,out of 4 of those 6 paladins have been THE best single target healers in the game. Imo they have been for the full 6 but that is debatable by some. (and two of those years horde didnt even have them)

Disc priests can either spam bubble on the whole raid (for the next week or so) or stay on the tank and do fairly well at a single target penance/flash/greater heal spam. They do not do either the "best" though.

disc can only spam bubble or tank heal? pretty sad disc priest IMO. i didn't realize we were going back to vanilla with thsi discussion, but since we are, i was there so i can talk about it, howbout u?

my point is invalid cause beacon was justa dded in wrath? Orly? In vanilla guess what pallies did? yep, they tank healed, just like now, even without *gasp* beacon. know why? cause at level 60, they still had the best tank healing capabilities compared to other classes.

here's a list of pally buffs which help the tank stay alive
1)beacon- 2 at a time, no real buffs tho
2)SoL-3% haste buff
3)conviction-3%(stacks 3X, 9% cumulative) bonus to healing after crit'ing, no CD.
4)divine favor- 20% crit and haste, 3 min CD
5)divine protection- 50% damage reduction for 12 secs. 2 min CD

Disc priest

1)power infusion-20% haste, 20% mana reduction. 2 min CD
2)renewed hope-10% crit buff on targets with weakened soul or grace effect
3)borrowed time- 14% haste buff after casting PW:S, which discs do all the time
4)divine aegis- 30% absorption after crits, no CD, procs all the time. this is OP'd.
5)pain suppression- 40% damage reduction for 8 secs. 3 min CD
6)grace- 8% heal buff, stacks 3X(24% cumulative), no CD, procs alot.

disc priests always have at least 2 buffs proc'ing on the target, and dam good ones too. this is why discs are better at tank healing, single target. Oh, forgot, my point is "invalid" Make me lol.

Edited by Riô on 11/30/2010 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin

Beacon was added in wrath so that right there more or less makes your point invalid. As well seeing as how for the last 6 years,out of 4 of those 6 paladins have been THE best single target healers in the game. Imo they have been for the full 6 but that is debatable by some. (and two of those years horde didnt even have them)

Disc priests can either spam bubble on the whole raid (for the next week or so) or stay on the tank and do fairly well at a single target penance/flash/greater heal spam. They do not do either the "best" though.

disc can only spam bubble or tank heal? pretty sad disc priest IMO. i didn't realize we were going back to vanilla with thsi discussion, but since we are, i was there so i can talk about it, howbout u?

my point is invalid cause beacon was justa dded in wrath? Orly? In vanilla guess what pallies did? yep, they tank healed, just like now, even without *gasp* beacon. know why? cause at level 60, they still had the best tank healing capabilities compared to other classes.

Why are people getting so pissy in this thread. Every spec can Tank heal now. There is no best. BTW I never saw a Pally Tank healing in Vanilla....it was always a Holy Priest or a Resto Druid using Healing Touch.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Why are people getting so pissy in this thread..

Probably because there's so much misinformation being slung around, not to mention every other post reeks of class bias.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's still better than the old forums, lol :)
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin

Probably because there's so much misinformation being slung around, not to mention every other post reeks of class bias.

I got that...but why get pissed about some misinformed post? Do people actually think they will be denied a Tank healing chance because some neanderthal on the forums is stuck in LK land?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid

I got that...but why get pissed about some misinformed post? Do people actually think they will be denied a Tank healing chance because some neanderthal on the forums is stuck in LK land?

I just get annoyed when I see people posting like Pelliach up there that clearly has no idea what they're talking about, and giving really really bad advice and misinformation to new players simply due to class bias. I don't actually get bent out of shape about it, but I certainly post my own thoughts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I Lol'd <3
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Pure HPS is no way to judge who is the better healer. Mana Efficiency, Overhealing done, reaction to different boss mechanics, and positioning. That puts Holy Priests and Resto Shaman at the top of the list for healers,

Yes.

Because Holy priests are just so mana efficient.
Reply Quote
I think a Disc Priest is the Best Tank Healer in the game at 85. 24% more Healing, so we have much larger Renews, and PoM's.

A Holy Priest in Heal Chakra generates 15% more throughput via Spiritual Healing, 10%+ more from the Mastery, 39% more via Serendipity and +25% critical (over Discipline, the 10% from Chakra and Renewed Hope cancel out) 50% of the time. Nor is Holy dependent on cooldown effects (although it does have them, including the best 'panic button' in the game) like Discipline is.

Discipline has excellent single target heals. But that doesn't mean it's an excellent single target healer.

You're right, holy can put out some big numbers, but they don't have the mana pool or the regen to sustain it. Holy is still a burst healer, holding back and then bursting when the big damage hits. Now they have the ability to burst on raid healing or single target healing though.

Disc Priests have really strong single target heals, combined with absorbs and great cooldowns, plus decent mana regen. (I'm not saying mana isn't an issue, obviously it is for everyone at 85) I would say disc is the strongest single target healer. However paladins can heal for almost as much on a single target plus they have their beacon, so their hps is going to be higher.

As for your comment about disc having strong single target heals, but not being a single target healer, it doesn't really make sense...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
There is a calculable greatest single target (tank) healer ... but its pointless ... any class can tank/raid heal ... it just comes down to the player
On one hand, you're right.

On the other, this is a thread asking for who has the best single target healing in raw numbers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]