Best single target healing?

58 Draenei Death Knight
Very true, disc priests have the most utility in single healing. They are however rather hopeless at raid healing, especially now that it is not feasible to spam PW:S on raid members. This is how I see the situation in cata:

Paladins will be tank healers, they will be sought after for this role, they fit this role well with their mana efficiency vs size of their single target heals coupled with beacon of light. On top of this the 'stereotype' that you get a holy paladin to heal will no doubt persist.

Disc priests also be tank healers. They will be sought after by those who understand their new utility but the stereotype of being a bubble spammer will hold them back in many situations where people don't trust a disc priest over a holy paladin, even if the two can both do the job fine.

A holy paladin will be able to be an all round healer. The instant casts, holy radiance, LoD as well as heavy hitting FoL enable them to heal the raid and anyone they want while keeping a tank up with beaconing and having alot of instant OMG buttons.

A disc priest however is fairly useless, as far as I can tell from beta logs at raid healing. They will be able to heal tanks and that's about it.

So where does this leave the two. I think holy paladins will be in more demand as they can provide a more all rounder to the raid composition while keeping tanks up; they are also seen as stereotypical tank healers.

Disc priests will be in a sought of void zone where they aren't quite trusted to keep tanks alive but aren't brought along for their general healing abilities (raid and tank). LEST WE FORGET THAT A TANK HEALER SHOULD BE ABLE TO HEAL 2 TANKS SUFFICIENTLY FOR 8 MINUTE FIGHTS, DISC UTILITY GETS A BIT SKETCHY WHEN YOU NEED TO HEAL 2 TANKS

In a 25 man it would be foolish to not have atleast 1 disc priest and 1 holy pally but if we are talking 10 man raids with usually 2 healers, most raid leaders are going to pick a raid healer and a holy pally as an hpally can keep two tanks up with beacon and has enormous raid healing capabilities as well. I play both classes and enjoy my pally more anyway so this is fine for me but food for thought for others without that option

To suggest that a holy priest, resto shammy or druid even comes close to single target healing utility in cata is ridiculous. EXCLUDING mana efficiency all healers can do some heavy heals (holy priest) but to believe that a holy priest could effectively heal a tank (usually 2) over an 8 minute fight better than a holy paladin or disc priest is preposterous
Edited by Deathlyraven on 12/1/2010 3:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
God why are all these healers so insecure, its like being back in high school

All the Healers are just concerned. Because its seems everything is getting big buffs in health and damage. But Heals a staying the same.

We all want to feel big like we have in wrath and we are all concerned that we will have spots with the new system of healing and raiding.

All healers a justified right now to feel a little insecure. None of us KNOW what will happen or what will change. Hopefully it will all work itself out in a week.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin

Paladins will be tank healers, they will be sought after for this role, they fit this role well with their mana efficiency vs size of their single target heals coupled with beacon of light. On top of this the 'stereotype' that you get a holy paladin to heal will no doubt persist.

Disc priests also be tank healers. They will be sought after by those who understand their new utility but the stereotype of being a bubble spammer will hold them back in many situations where people don't trust a disc priest over a holy paladin, even if the two can both do the job fine.

A holy paladin will be able to be an all round healer. The instant casts, holy radiance, LoD as well as heavy hitting FoL enable them to heal the raid and anyone they want while keeping a tank up with beaconing and having alot of instant OMG buttons.

To suggest that a holy priest, resto shammy or druid even comes close to single target healing utility in cata is ridiculous. EXCLUDING mana efficiency all healers can do some heavy heals (holy priest) but to believe that a holy priest could effectively heal a tank (usually 2) over an 8 minute fight better than a holy paladin or disc priest is preposterous

I'd have to disagree. You make some false assumptions.

First....according to various posts a Holy Pally will be balanced with Beacon in the mix. That means a Pally's HPS with Beacon should be comparable to other healers since we want balance. It's probable that the actual hps on a single target will be the lowest of any healer.
Pally's actually have the lowest single target heals (as far as numbers) right now. All that is offset by the flexibility of Beacon and strong CD's like Hand of Sac.

It's also false to state that a Pally will be able to heal two Tanks like they did in LK. 50% Beacon transfer and the need to Heal the Beacon for Tower procs says otehrwise. You won't be spamming Divine Light with 100% transfer like you did in ICC.

Second....A Shaman and a Holy Priest offer Ancestral Healing and Inspiration which should be up 100% if either was on Tank healing duties. They both offer stronger single target healing potential. Holy Priests have Guardian Spirit but weaker mana regen while Shaman have strong regen but no real Tank CD's.

Third.....Druids are arguably going to be the strongest Tank healer via theorycrafting. Three Hot's always rolling whcih means strong Nourishes and Swiftmends. They are lacking Tank saving CD's however.

I play a Holy Pally and a Resto Shammy and I have to say I feel both are in great spots right now as healers. I would feel confident Tank healing with either and I would feel confident covering the raid with either and that's the point.

Edited by Rubytuesday on 12/1/2010 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]