Paladin Lore and How it Affects Your Choices

66 Blood Elf Paladin
First of all allow me to extend my gratitude on the sucessful launch of yet one more great patch. And indeed patch 4.0.3a was an excellent addition to content, visual appeal, and overall play value of World of Warcraft.

One key aspect to the game's smooth running is the implication of lore to give the game a rich history and background that the player can follow along with. However there is one problem that I feel should be addressed that has been troubling some of my fellow players and I for a while or at least since the finalization of the new race-class combonations. An Undead has the ability to play as every single class that a Human character can play as (as Undead are "dead" Humans) with the exception of a paladin.

I will never claim to be a lore expert by any stretch of the imagination, however it does seem odd that an Undead can play as every class a Human can play as with the exception of the paladin. Heck Undead can play as priests for God's sake, why not a paladin?

I by no meens am trying to question your right as designers to draw the line at certain things, but I do think the implication of an Undead paladin would be one of the most popular and widley played race-class combonation in the game.
Edited by Answers on 11/29/2010 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
First of all allow me to extend my gratitude on the sucessful launch of yet one more great patch. And indeed patch 4.0.3a was an excellent addition to content, visual appeal, and overall play value of World of Warcraft.

One key aspect to the game's smooth running is the implication of lore to give the game a rich history and background that the player can follow along with. However there is one problem that I feel should be addressed that has been troubling some of my fellow players and I for a while or at least since the finalization of the new race-class combonations. An Undead has the ability to play as every single class that a Human character can play as (as Undead are "dead" Humans) with the exception of a paladin.

I will never claim to be a lore expert by any stretch of the imagination, however it does seem odd that an Undead can play as every class a Human can play as with the exception of the paladin. Heck Undead can play as priests for God's sake, why not a paladin?

By no means am I trying to question your right as designers to draw the line at certain things, but I do think the implication of an Undead paladin would be one of the most popular and widely played race-class combinations in the game.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
Wall of text.
Spelled "choices" wrong.
TL;DR.

I un-walled it.
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Paladin
The Holy Light is in anathema to the Forsaken's very being. It takes great personal sacrifice and an unshakable willpower to become an Undead Priest. The Path of the Paladin is one of even greater sacrifice; few humans can endure the training - to be under constant pain and walk the path of a holy warrior is neigh impossible.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Undead are forsaken by the light.

The forsaken can only be Shadow Priests.

Blizzard allows the players the ability to play Discipline / holy due to game mechanics.

Find me and Undead priest NPC that IS NOT a shadow priest.

Just try it.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage

Blizzard allows the players the ability to play Discipline / holy due to game mechanics.

Just try it.

That one. Over there.

Yes, just.. keep.. looking.. that way..

/sap
/burlap sack
/kidnap
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior

Just try it.

That one. Over there.

Yes, just.. keep.. looking.. that way..

/sap
/burlap sack
/kidnap

Help! I've been burgled!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
The Holy Light is in anathema to the Forsaken's very being. It takes great personal sacrifice and an unshakable willpower to become an Undead Priest. The Path of the Paladin is one of even greater sacrifice; few humans can endure the training - to be under constant pain and walk the path of a holy warrior is neigh impossible.

that was EXTREAMLY well put
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Paladin
In reality the biggest reason Undead can be Priests is because in vanilla WoW the horde would have been left with Troll Priests, Orc/Troll/Tauren Shamans and Tauren Druids for healing. Compare that with the Alliance's Human/Dwarf/Night Elf Priests, Human/Dwarf paladins and Night Elf Druids; people would cry foul that Blizzard was stacking the deck against the Horde (who were massively unpopular compared to the Alliance in those days). Undead needed to have Priests to help balance out the Healing class ratio - 6 on each side.

Some may speak up and ask why Orcs or Tauren weren't given Priests. The answer is simple - the priest concept did not, at that time, fit with the lore AND Blizzard tried to mirror the class-to-race ratio between the two factions. This is why Gnomes and Tauren had only 4 classes, Dwarves, Night Elves, Orcs and Forsaken had just 5 and Humans and Trolls had 6 classes. If you mix these two restrictions together, the only conclusion is that Undead had to be Priests, even if Shadow is all they should have been capable of casting.

So the lore was adjusted to allow Undead, at great personal sacrifice, the ability to cast- and be healed by- Healing Spells. To allow a large portion of the Forsaken society to take up the mantle of Paladin would further stretch, and perhaps even break, the accommodation made for Undead Priests.
Edited by Eralightpike on 11/29/2010 8:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
66 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you very much for all of your feedback. I had been thinking for a while since the new class-race combinations had been announced and I was just curious as to why that was. Like I said I am NOT a lore person, in fact I have almost no knowledge of lore what so ever so thank you for filling me in on what the deal was and why we will never see an Undead-paladin... despite how awesome it would be.
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Paladin
Most accurately, if you're interested in playing an Undead Paladin for the lore, you'd be best off with a Death Knight. Originally, a Death Knight was a fallen Paladin, raised to serve the Scourge. Forsaken DK is likely (hopefully) the closest we'll ever come to undead Paladins aside from Sir Zeliek.

Death Knights are, essentially, WoW's equivalent of D&D's Blackguard, who is a fallen paladin. So, I very much agree - the Death Knight IS the dark Paladin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]