A study: Stereotypes in the LFD

80 Troll Druid
Side note: I corrected your spelling of "apologize" in the quote.
"Apologise" is the British spelling of "apologize" -- not a typo.

Yeah not everyone is American :P
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
The results were predictable. Interesting, but predictable. Sadly.

I too was completely unsurprised. Kudos for sticking with it, after 10 or so runs I'd have been unable to continue knowing full well I'm not going to learn anything new.

The only one I can think of that you missed was the abusive, loudmouthed DPS. You could have done half the runs in great gear putting out mad DPS and playing flawlessly, and the other half in greens and blues doing almost no DPS and standing in fires. People (myself included) are usually very forgiving of jerks if they do their role well.

I know that some Paladin tweaks came with 4.0.3a but I don't think they merged paladins and warriors into one class

I'd wager many people still dont even realize Blood Elves can be Warriors. They see a Blood Elf with a 2 hander and no pet and assume it's a paladin or DK, and you don't have glowing blue eyes or cool armor.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
What classes were you using? Did that have any influence on your results?

That's a good question.

In my groups, melee typically get verbally abused more than casters. Rogues, DKs, Ferals and especially Paladins get made fun of all the time in my runs for doing bad DPS. Mages, locks, boomkins, and Spriests? Hardly hear a peep if they're doing sub 2k dps.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
On the flip side, when I queue as DPS, I pull aggro occasionally, and pull additional mobs...and hardly ever hear anything about it. Tanks usually just taunt off me, or pick up the adds without a word. Pretty odd, I know.

Since 4.0 I blame Blizzard when I lose aggro more than anyone else. I just taunt it back as much as I can and keep going.

Once we're well into Cata and losing aggro is actually fatal, I'll start shifting the blame to DPS who don't know how to manage their threat. Right now I'm cutting them slack since it's new.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

That's a good question.

In my groups, melee typically get verbally abused more than casters. Rogues, DKs, Ferals and especially Paladins get made fun of all the time in my runs for doing bad DPS. Mages, locks, boomkins, and Spriests? Hardly hear a peep if they're doing sub 2k dps.

As a tank I alternated between a warrior and a druid, healer was shaman and a druid and the damage dealer was shaman and mage.

Silly me though I did not note which class I was using for the runs. However just from my point of view, being a warrior tank throughout the years has opted more abuse from groups compared to a druid.
Reply Quote
However just from my point of view, being a warrior tank throughout the years has opted more abuse from groups compared to a druid.

I've tanked on all 4 possible classes since Vanilla, and Warrior always brought in the most negative behavior. On my Druid, people acted like they wanted to be RL friends after the dungeon.
Reply Quote

That's a good question.

As a tank I alternated between a warrior and a druid, healer was shaman and a druid and the damage dealer was shaman and mage.

Silly me though I did not note which class I was using for the runs. However just from my point of view, being a warrior tank throughout the years has opted more abuse from groups compared to a druid.

So we can expect a part 2 for class stereotypes? lol

I can only imagine the hell you'd go through with the combination of obnoxious rogue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I tend to see DK tanks get the most abuse, followed by paladins. I hardly ever have anyone give me trouble on my warrior, and like Not said, people seem to love bears.

I think because they're cuddly.
Reply Quote
15 Dwarf Warlock
I too have noticed bear tanks get a LOT of love.
Reply Quote
Very interesting post! Even though this may still count as anecdotal evidence, it's informative to see the numbers on everything.

I fear for healers though, with all the upcoming changes. :| People hate waiting in queue for tanks so healers will probably shoulder more blame for wipes out of fear of the tank leaving. Argh.
Reply Quote
Nice. I read a long time ago about something similar. It was about acting a certain way in pugs. Fun stuff.
Reply Quote
Very interesting post! Even though this may still count as anecdotal evidence, it's informative to see the numbers on everything.

I fear for healers though, with all the upcoming changes. :| People hate waiting in queue for tanks so healers will probably shoulder more blame for wipes out of fear of the tank leaving. Argh.

I think healers will have the instant queues in Cata. I foresee a MAJOR shortage in the dungeon tool.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
great read and a very interesting social experiment

cheers
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Like someone else said, an interesting read. Predictable, but interesting. But now it's got me curious about other specific variables.

Stuff like, when you ran ahead too quickly as a tank, or weren't healing well on your healer, did any dps step in and help heal, without being prompted?

You also should have perhaps asked to attempt achievments while playing each role, and see what the general responses for each was.

Queue up as dps, then switch to healing or tanking and see how the group reacts?

As an abusive tank, how many tried to lighten the atmosphere, and how many devolved into baseless insults?

Not saying you didn't do a thorough and fairly comprehensive study. Quite the opposite; I can't imagine recording information from 180 consecutive heroics, all the while perpetrating the role you'd chosen for the study. It's just got me wondering about other things people may have attempted to try and make up for your phony shortcomings.

Also like someone else said, I question the ethics of your study, but clearly it's all in the name of Science.
Reply Quote
Queue up as dps, then switch to healing or tanking and see how the group reacts?

I've tried that a few times on my healer. When I saw another hybrid in group, I'd say "Oh crap, I forgot I got rid of my healing spec. Can someone else heal?". Of the 3-4 times I did that, no one volunteered...they just asked me to heal in my dps spec.

I suspect the data in this thread is fictitious.

The only thing that makes me feel this way is the sheer number of runs the OP committed to, especially as DPS. That's a LOT of runs and a LOT of long queues. I would have stopped caring about this "study" after run #5.
Edited by Notintheface on 11/30/2010 1:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
Hmm,

This is reflective of the results I have observed as well.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Great Post and study.

Oh and http://imgs.xkcd.com/store/imgs/stand_back_square_0.png
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I suspect the data in this thread is fictitious.

As with everything in life we have to be critical about things that are presented to us as *fact*

But I don't understand why you may think this is false? I did this over a long period of time, and i only committed to one run as each role each day, so thats an average of 3 heroics a day over 6 months.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]