Dungeon Quest Experience Reduction

48 Dwarf Shaman
Yeah, I guess those 3 levels in Scholomance were a bit much...
85 Draenei Paladin
Translation: We made a bunch of cool new quests, and we'd rather you see them then level through instances. So we're returning questing to the #1 most efficient method of xp gain.
100 Gnome Warlock
this is so stupid :(

WTB -rep/-vote BUTTON

never ever have i done an instance quest and leveled up by it unless im rested at least 75%

Look at Scholomance. If you do the dungeon when it is recommended, you get an ENTIRE level just from the quests you pick up inside the door. I'm not talking about killing dungeon mobs.. I am talking about just the exp for the quests you get inside the dungeon. I think I got 2.25 levels from doing one dungeon which took about 30 minutes.

On a related note, my only non-80 was my paladin, who hit 60 today :) just in the nick of time.

Oh, so it's not "okay" when you're past it, but you're happy you got to do it before they nerfed it? You make a lot of sense.

This lowbie Shaman who gained 4~5 levels in 2 instance runs (Deadmines, Shadow Fang Keep) and rendered her quests in Loch Modan pretty much obsolete.... Thanks you.

No single person forced you to do those instances. You chose to run them, you chose to do the quests, and you chose to level yourself 4-5 levels that way. So why should the rest of us be punished because of people like you throwing a fit about it. If you don't want to level that way, then don't level that way, just go about your merry way questing. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us. So many people come here on the forums, unopposed by the majority of the WoW player base, to whine and moan until the games quality is destroyed for the rest of us just to make the small amount of people that come here happy.

No one is being punished. You can run them all you want and level that way, if that is what you want to do. No one is forcing you to not run the dungeons to level.
85 Blood Elf Warrior
That's a good change. Scholo quests gave like half a level, on top of all the xp you already earned by running the instance. I can only imagine what BRD was like.

Good luck finding a BRD group that stuck around for everything :)

I had a pug on this warrior a night or two ago that cleared the entire dungeon (BRD, that is), every single boss and every single quest. Underlevel as well, we killed Emperor with the group having him red/orange.

It was quite refreshing, the last time I did that was in vanilla doing the entire ony chain in one go.

Delicious exp.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Some players like me want to enjoy the new leveling content at its fullest, some just want to get another raiding char as fast as they can. Both are OK.
What blizzard could do was to raise the exp bonus form heirlooms, up to like 50% total exp bonus, but reduce the exp reward from all mobs and quest in the game. Then you have a clear "hard mode" button, you can choose to level quickly if you already have some well deserved heirlooms, or slowly and steady by not wearing them on your alts.
If you are new player and want a lvl 80 for yesterday (surprisingly to me most new players I know don't care about WoW, they care about having a lvl 80) you will need to go through slower leveling process, making sure you learn the game properly. You can't learn how to play it by attacking any mob you see in front of you like an autistic inside dungeons, all the way up to 80. You can't learn the game like that..

:)
100 Gnome Warlock
Blizzard, we aren't morons. We're humans who are fully capable of thought. If people complained about getting "ahead of the questing curve", let them opt out of dungeon runs and leave my preferred method of leveling untainted. Now instead of the freedom of choice it's back to "grind dozens of quests because dungeons are wholly ineffective for exp gain"

Ugghhhh.

Read what he said, it is the dungeon quest experience, not the overall dungeon. You can still run the same dungeon over and over until you level, just like before.
90 Undead Mage
I have to agree with Mild on this.

Some people are playing to see and enjoy all the content. I'm 100% fine with that.

Some people are levelling alts for guild need or end game purposes.

Some of us have done the levelling thing multiple times and would like the pain of plodding through the treadmill reduced. It really should be optional, but I understand if to was too much to program the game for choice. Too bad (for me and those like me) who preferred levelling as fast a possible to stop the pain...
100 Orc Warrior
While dungeons should remain integral to our evolving storylines, and great places to collect gear in cooperative environments, we need to make sure each player’s questing progress remains relevant as dungeon quests are completed. In many cases we’re seeing players enter dungeons to complete quests, only to come out ahead of the leveling curve for the zones they’re in.

Signing in to say thank you.

My brief experience with leveling dungeons so far left me rather sad, because doing dungeons did just what you say - levels me far ahead of the quests. Faced with a choice between giving up quests or giving up dungeons, I was sadly prepared to give up dungeons.

I'm happy to think I may not have to give them up.
85 Goblin Warrior
This change kinda makes me sad. I've been leveling two characters since the Shattering. One, I've done entirely through questing, and the other entirely through instancing. It's a nice change of pace to just be able to instance.

Not to mention that instancing after 50 is pretty terrible. Those BRD quests need all the xp they can get to give people incentive to do them!
50 Dwarf Shaman
No single person forced you to do those instances. You chose to run them, you chose to do the quests, and you chose to level yourself 4-5 levels that way. So why should the rest of us be punished because of people like you throwing a fit about it. If you don't want to level that way, then don't level that way, just go about your merry way questing. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us. So many people come here on the forums, unopposed by the majority of the WoW player base, to whine and moan until the games quality is destroyed for the rest of us just to make the small amount of people that come here happy.

Just a minor note, but, I don't think thanking them for a change I like is "throwing a fit". :)

I don't mind that some people prefer to run dungeons over questing, but running just one or two instances shouldn't throw off the entire leveling curve for those of us enjoy doing BOTH.

I ran through the newly updated instances mentioned on my 80, but the experience just wasn't the same. I do plan to continue doing my green/grey quests, but a lot of people might just ditch them and move on, this seems counter to wanting people to see all the new quests and changes.
47 Human Hunter
Well there you go, you asked for this hope your happy.
Can someone explain to me,Why, If you want to quest so much don't you just do it? Why would you "have" to drop a quest just cause its gray? If you want to see the quests do them.
85 Human Paladin
What about the fact that Old World quests in the new content actually give more xp at-level than the Outlands quests in Hellfire Pen? Is that going to be changed or are we being encouraged to simply stay in the Old World for a bit and skip straight to Zangar?
85 Night Elf Druid
From what I understand from this, they're only nerfing dungeon quest exp (not the mobs themselves).

This dungeon nerf seems to be more effective on dungeons with few dungeon quests. While you may hit a dungeon or two that don't give the most exp in the world, you will still hit the dungeons that can give you an entire level without the dungeon quests (may be biased on heirloom gear). So in my mind, those dungeons that may not give you as much exp as previously are similar to pre-4.0.3 dungeons like SM:GY. As far as dungeon grinding is concerned, the quest is only doable once and I wouldn't imagine that a bit of a nerf on one quest (when you're doing x dungeon 5-10 times to level through it anyway) to be THAT much of a big deal.

On another note, I REALLY love the idea another poster had about repeatable dungeon quests. While I'm giggling my way through zones by only questing now, I don't like doing zones multiple times and will inevitably dungeon grind my way up. Having something like repeatable quests would be FANTASTIC for those who would rather dungeon queue than quest. And if you're a zone quester who wants to see content? Don't do the repeatable quest or queue for the same dungeon multiple times and BAM. Problem solved. I believe the poster was Elizander? Really love your idea :)

And to the posters talking about outleveling zone quests, dungeons aren't the only thing making that happen. Leveling in heirloom gear (and yes I've tried slowing it down by using only one piece vs two) without doing ANY dungeons, I'm still outleveling the content I am questing for. If you really want to see content, kick the heirloom gear away. Do green and grey quests (they still give exp, just not as much). Try moving out of a zone as soon as you get the quest that leads you to another (EPL for example has about 20+ quests left by the time you get to the Badlands rocketman quest). And if you're curious, you can skip dungeon questlines and still have no detriment to your zone storyline as I've chosen to do in order to keep the storyline going smoothly while I level up. I'm not saying this to disagree or to bash, but simply suggest that there are other options to avoid the problems you've stated having.

As far as whether or not I like this change? I can't tell ya yet. While I don't think it's a big enough deal to inspire some of the more critical comments as it has, I do understand where many dungeon grinders are coming from. My input would be for blizzard to review some of the amazing suggestions a few people have added along! A player should have the feeling that they have the choice to level as they please without a specific detriment to that method.

(Also: DON'T TAKE AWAY MUH GATHERING EXP! Sometimes its the only thing that keeps me wanting to level those profs up >.>)

Overall: Love the Shattering and pumped for Cata! Great job Blizz :)
85 Tauren Druid
I am Completely opposed to this given that my lastest character I decided to level purely by running dungeons (after 15) in order to save all the new Cata content for my Goblin Mage.

31 Tauren Paladin
I completely applaud this.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]