New paladin holy/ret

72 Tauren Druid
Hey guys, i have a few questions.

Im a total paladin newb, the farthest ive gotten is with a level 37 paladin and it was before 4.0.1.

So now i want to create a new one, but this time, i want it to be ret/holy dual speced. I like the idea of dpsing as ret and such but also as healing as holy. And it also helps that ive heard really good things about holy pvp.

How are ret dps looking atm? How about in pvp? What are these wings i hear people talk about?

What about holy, do they have any offensive abilities that are useful in pvp? How good are they of a healers in instances.

And if possible, a good spec for both ret and holy would be appriciated! Thanks
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Hey guys, i have a few questions.

Im a total paladin newb, the farthest ive gotten is with a level 37 paladin and it was before 4.0.1.

So now i want to create a new one, but this time, i want it to be ret/holy dual speced. I like the idea of dpsing as ret and such but also as healing as holy. And it also helps that ive heard really good things about holy pvp.

How are ret dps looking atm? How about in pvp? What are these wings i hear people talk about?

There are alot of people who complain about ret dps. It is fine, Blizzard are having many more issues with other classes. A good ret paladin could perform fine (e.g. Lore from tankspot is a retribution paladin) so dismiss any claims of being underpowered or overpowered on the forums, they are just bad paladins trying to make blizzard help them learn to play. In PvP I haven't experienced ret, best leave that to someone else or google it. From the sounds of it, they are more appealing than they were in WoTLK.

The wings you hear about are Avenging Wrath: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31884/avenging-wrath. It is an ability that increases healing and damage by 20% for a limited amount of time. The graphic that comes with it is that your paladin sprouts wings for this time period.

What about holy, do they have any offensive abilities that are useful in pvp? How good are they of a healers in instances.

Holy paladins at this point in time are very powerful in pvp offensively. With 'wings' used and other cooldowns, and if talented to reduce the mana cost and increase the damage of exorcism, holy paladins can pull 6k+ dps in dungeons and take down an unwary adversary very quickly. I have a feeling this will not make it to the next arena season but yes they are very good, the best, offensive and defensive healers in pvp at this point in time

As for instances, I have played almost all specs and classes of healers and my favourites are my holy paladin and discipline priest. So holy paladin are very good healers in instances. This must be taken with salt because ANY healer can heal fine, especially in cataclysm. A holy paladin will always find raids where they are needed and perform both tank and raid healing well in my beta experience (I was never asked to raid heal but of course every healer heals the tank and raid at the same time no matter what they are asked to do)

And if possible, a good spec for both ret and holy would be appriciated! Thanks

The best way to find the most popular talent build for a spec is to try wowpopular.com
Ret:http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=203000000000000000000000000000000000000003203213211113012311

Holy: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=2&tal=033320012221313103013020000000000000000000000000000000000000

I wouldn't go so far as to say these are the 'best' builds but they are the most popular, healing style and whether its pve or pvp will determine any changes (this is pve; notice in holy talents improving exorcism have not been taken)
Edited by Xjennyxxi on 11/30/2010 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
72 Tauren Druid
Thanks for your time and all that info. Really helpful!

Its really discouraging how people talk bad about retribution, but i enjoy it and in the end, thats what matters most.

As for holy healing, do holy paladins have any instant heals? Seems to me the only heals they get at low levels is holy light and flash of light, which HL has a huge cast time and FoL is really expensive.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
As for holy healing, do holy paladins have any instant heals? Seems to me the only heals they get at low levels is holy light and flash of light, which HL has a huge cast time and FoL is really expensive.

Oh my word, the holy shock/Word of Glory combination is absolutely delightful, very potent instant heals, I'm not sure what is available to low level paladins these days but you will learn divine light which fills the void between holy light and flash of light, its cheaper than FoL and faster than HL. Then you have the instant AOE heal of light of dawn which heals 5 ppl instantly and has no cooldown as well as lay on hands in emergencies and the beacon technically gives a 50% instant heal on top of the heal cast to another player.

This instant healing is what makes them so powerful in PvP. In Cata PvE it should be quite useful, there is less spike damage than in WotLK so there will be less moments where if you dont cast and instant heal the tank dies but still with a keen eye you should be the first healer able to heal an injured raid member or two
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]