Role name change: Healer => Preserver

91 Blood Elf Paladin
No, I'm not being snide. I just think people need to change the way they think about the healing role with Cata coming. That is, the way healing LOOKS like it's to be working in Cataclysm. It's something I just happened to type in another thread, but it really is applicable. This is what I see as the difference for healing between Wrath and Cata:

In Wrath, we see the green bars go down. We make them go back up.

In Cata, we'll see the green bars go down. We can slow the rate they're going down...but we can't stop them or make them all green again. It's like a losing war, like hanging from a cliff face, holding on to a piece of grass, and that grass is slowly being pulled out of the ground by its root.

The job of a "healer" is no longer to heal. We aren't healers anymore.

We're "preservers". We attempt to slow the deaths of those around us, to give THEM time to turn the tide of battle. Our healing is more subtle, our magic more subdued.

If we, as a healing community, think this way, then we'll approach Cataclysm understanding the way healing seems meant to be in it. We'll understand our spells, and we won't be so upset that our heals are "weak" or we can't top people off to 100% at all times.

A lot of healers think (and I have seen it said and thought similarly at first) something like, "We're given weaker tools but expected to do the same job!"

But that's the thing. We aren't. We aren't expected to do the same job. PuG bads, DPS or tanks, may think so, and it may be rough going at first. But, eventually, people are going to start realizing this. Our friends, guildies, and people that AREN'T bads are going to realize this quickly.

Our job is no longer to heal, to keep everyone topped off at full health, to bust out healing meters or HPS. Our job isn't to toss a single nuke heal to take someone from the brink of death to full life.

Our new job is to preserve life. To try to help it hang on just a LITTLE longer. Long enough to get the job done.

...I wonder, will healers get complementary invitations to the Red Dragonflight? I wouldn't mind being an honorary member. I already have the pet, mount, tabard... :D
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
On the other hand, the health bars are a lot bigger, and last a lot longer, giving us more time to...preserve someone back to full? =P

Just because the rate of Up and Down for health bars has slowed doesn't mean we need to think of ourselves solely in the job of damage mitigation. And if you've seen some of the healer-POV raids, you know that a slower pace of incoming damage relative to the health pools doesn't mean people are actually taking less damage. There are still blast AOEs that take people to 50% – they're just a little more forgiving than the AOE's we're used to, the ones that bring people to 20%.

We're still going to be challenged on HPS because, sometimes, people just need to be healed. And we're still pretty good at that.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Woe
Great post OP. I've gotten the same impression from every single cata raid video I've seen that features a healer POV. We'll see how things shake out with the massive nerfs to to pure aoe heals (efflor, hw:sanc, holy radiance, healing rain) as without their strength, those raids would have been absolute slaughterhouses, so I fully expect to see big changes in raid damage.

Definitely agree with the premise though. It really does feel like the designers confused 'triage' with 'attrition management'.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Woe
Just because the rate of Up and Down for health bars has slowed doesn't mean we need to think of ourselves solely in the job of damage mitigation. And if you've seen some of the healer-POV raids, you know that a slower pace of incoming damage relative to the health pools doesn't mean people are actually taking less damage.

What you're not factoring in is that heals are massively expensive now, so without some huge changes between now and next week a major (probably the most important part of our role) will be to watch the raid's health being whittled away and our mana bars dwindling and have to make decisions for who we will simply just stand there and allow to die.

Managing the 'tidal' shifts in overall raid health -- preserving -- becomes the second thing in our decision making process.

But hey, who knows and I'm an optimist. If 25 man raids end up balanced around having 1/3 of the dps dead for most of the fight, and i dunno about you guys', but most non-top-hundred 25 man guilds have a good amount of dead weight, this could be a total boon for middle of the road 25 man raiding. just let your baddies take a nap for boss fights and embrace your role as arbiter of death.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
embrace your role as arbiter of death

Arbiter of Death is much cooler.

Preserver sounds like we spend all day making jam.

We are the delayers of wipes, the mana timers of boss fights, the deniers of heals to fail dps! Lo! Tremble before our mediocrity and beg for our limited benevolence! For the time of healers has passed, and the Arbiters of Death now rule over the lives of mortals. Muhuhahahah.

Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey, I said it somewhere else:

Healer mana is the new enrage mechanic. When the healers go OOM, that's just the boss enraging. Better kill it fast before it takes everyone out. ^_^
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
What you're not factoring in is that heals are massively expensive now, so without some huge changes between now and next week a major (probably the most important part of our role) will be to watch the raid's health being whittled away and our mana bars dwindling and have to make decisions for who we will simply just stand there and allow to die.

Managing the 'tidal' shifts in overall raid health -- preserving -- becomes the second thing in our decision making process.

But hey, who knows and I'm an optimist. If 25 man raids end up balanced around having 1/3 of the dps dead for most of the fight, and i dunno about you guys', but most non-top-hundred 25 man guilds have a good amount of dead weight, this could be a total boon for middle of the road 25 man raiding. just let your baddies take a nap for boss fights and embrace your role as arbiter of death.

I'm confident that the developers aren't designing Cataclysm raids with the expectation that only a handful of players will still be alive when the boss falls. =]
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman

We are the delayers of wipes, the mana timers of boss fights, the deniers of heals to fail dps! Lo! Tremble before our mediocrity and beg for our limited benevolence! For the time of healers has passed, and the Arbiters of Death now rule over the lives of mortals. Muhuhahahah.

That was amazing!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
12/01/2010 9:12 AMPosted by Keiyra

This needs to be up-rated.

A lot.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
That's becoming my new email sig. :)
Edited by Easternwind on 12/7/2010 5:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
/bow

Glad you liked it. Coffee+ Bored/Distracted from work = Megalomaniacal Ravings :)
Edited by Keiyra on 12/7/2010 6:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Arbiter of Death

I am at this very moment composing a heartfelt letter to Blizzard that this NEEDS to be made into an in-game achievment title.

Any thoughts on just what it might apply to?
Maybe "Solo-heal any raid progression boss fight" or something in that vein.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
12/07/2010 9:00 AMPosted by Drelnu
Arbiter of Death

I am at this very moment composing a heartfelt letter to Blizzard that this NEEDS to be made into an in-game achievment title.

Any thoughts on just what it might apply to?
Maybe "Solo-heal any raid progression boss fight" or something in that vein.

Aribter of Death:
Defeat [X Boss] Hardmode with at least 2 dead raid members (10 man) or 5 dead raid members(25 man).

Hand of Fate:
Defeat every Hard Mode Boss in [X Raid] with at least 1 dead raid member (10 man) or 3 dead raid members (25 man)

I Told You Fire Burns!:
Successfully resurrect 7 different raid members in one raid lock out (10 man)
Successfully resurrect 15 different raid members in one raid lock out (25 man)
Each resurrection must be at least 1 min after the previous one to count.

Just some ideas :)
Edited by Keiyra on 12/7/2010 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
5 man achievement:

I said OOM!:
Witness 50 party member deaths while drinking water or a Potion of Concentration while in a lvl 85 5-man dungeon. Your own deaths do not count.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Moar coffee! Moar epic posts please!

Hilarious!

Let's not for get the "One sec while I change spec...Wait!"

5 man achieve:

I SAID WAIT!
Use the LFD tool to witness 10 deaths in level 81-85 5-man instances while changing spec.
Edited by Ædunno on 12/7/2010 11:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Howbout
"Dammit, don't fear!"
Have 3+ party members die within 30 seconds of an unglyphed Psychic Scream/Fear/Terrifying Shout from another player
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
i love it!!!

I'll be an arbiter of death =D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]